What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins losing it

I think we should do it now but yall know more about the situation than I do. I dont see what we gain by letting him finish the year. Is it a financial issue?

The man is just in WAY over his head. How does he not know the business and all that comes with it? You get paid MEGA bucks to win at this level. The dude is earning a salary that puts him in the top one percentile in this country. He's the highest paid person working for the state of CO, by far, I would imaigine. How could someone of his age and years in the coaching profession be suprised by the response he's getting? Fair or not...that's not the point. How do you not know and expect this to happen? Clueless. You want to be a good guy and do things the right way and develop young men. Sounds great, there are a million high schools in this country that could benefit from your efforts. However, when you get paid like he's getting paid you have to win. The whole world knows this. Duh?

I think we should do it now but yall know more about the situation than I do. I dont see what we gain by letting him finish the year. Is it a financial issue?

No. Finances are the same either way.

I think there are a couple things at play here. First and foremost, the hiring decision is so important that they want to take their time. That's why an announcement would wait on the new HC. But that doesn't explain why we wouldn't give Dan his walking papers and go with an interim HC.

I believe that the prevailing thought is that an interim coach would be even worse for recruiting than a lame duck coach / give us an even worse change to get bowl eligible. I respectfully and vehemently disagree with that.

Originally they were saying there would be defections from the team and that would hurt the APR.

I actually am opposed to firing him right now. It will create more turmoil than it is worth. Giving Cabral the interim tag is like a kiss of death for BC.

I think firing him now only satisfies the desire of the fans but does little to help the program. It is a tough situation for the next month regardless of any actions taken.

No. Finances are the same either way.

I think there are a couple things at play here. First and foremost, the hiring decision is so important that they want to take their time. That's why an announcement would wait on the new HC. But that doesn't explain why we wouldn't give Dan his walking papers and go with an interim HC.

I believe that the prevailing thought is that an interim coach would be even worse for recruiting than a lame duck coach / give us an even worse change to get bowl eligible. I respectfully and vehemently disagree with that.

I think the biggest fear is that everything will go into further disarray and the drama around will actually increase which may impact the replacement process. Right now they would like to keep things as calm as possible and put their candidate list together. The wild card of course is if Buffs get annihilated at Norman then the outcry would be too great to ignore.

He is obviously done at CU and no one did anyone any favors by waiting till this year. Firing the Dad of the starting QB during the season would make things very interesting in ways I do not want to see. I remember John Elway turning his back on Stanford for many years after they fired his Dad. I do not know if he ever got over it.

I know what you are saying but I just dont see how Cabral could do any worse. If Cody has the character people say he does, I doubt he would quit on his team.

I actually am opposed to firing him right now. It will create more turmoil than it is worth. Giving Cabral the interim tag is like a kiss of death for BC.

I think firing him now only satisfies the desire of the fans but does little to help the program. It is a tough situation for the next month regardless of any actions taken.

Being on this staff is a kiss of death.

Cabral was lobbying for the head coach position, and originally had Mac in his corner. But now that Mac is running for the position himself, he's on the outside looking in.

I think he's just about done at CU either way.

I go back to an interview with a Boise, Idaho newspaper writer when asked by a Denver radio guy about what to expect from Hawkins. This is a very faint memory and I'm glad that I can remember anything beyone an hour ago but the guy basically said that "Hawk is surly with the press. He can be hard to deal with." Or some such ****. I think Hawk had that kind of rep coming in here. And I know everyone thinks I'm a Hawk lover, but I've NEVER liked the way he addresses the press and fans. He has been very arrogant from day one. I think I'm guilty of burying my head in the sane a bit.

Unless he cut some sort of deal with a performance clause last November?

There is that. If he agreed to reduce his buyout in exchange of a guarantee he'd be on board through his son's senior year, then I'm ok with keeping him around. I want him gone, but money talks and the jury's out on whether an in-season firing does any good for a program.

Firing the Dad of the starting QB during the season would make things very interesting in ways I do not want to see. I remember John Elway turning his back on Stanford for many years after they fired his Dad. I do not know if he ever got over it.

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :lol:

Unless he cut some sort of deal with a performance clause last November?

There is that. If he agreed to reduce his buyout in exchange of a guarantee he'd be on board through his son's senior year, then I'm ok with keeping him around. I want him gone, but money talks and the jury's out on whether an in-season firing does any good for a program.

I hadn't thought of that yet, but knowing that he was fired last year, and was only retained because Bohn was forced to retain him, I doubt Hawk had the clout to negotiate that type of deal. Unless Hawk tried this thing called blackmail, which is entirely possible, because he's a ****stick.

I hadn't thought of that yet, but knowing that he was fired last year, and was only retained because Bohn was forced to retain him, I doubt Hawk had the clout to negotiate that type of deal. Unless Hawk tried this thing called blackmail, which is entirely possible, because he's a ****stick.

Not clout, chutzpah. He could have promised to win a certain number of games in exchange for finishing out his extended contract, for example. If he didn't reach some number he believed he could reach, then the buyout was reduced.

Making this up as I go along of course but it always seemed plausible that he offered something last November to turn it around so quickly.
And I DO believe 100% that Hawkins thought "this is my year. All the little things are in place..."

and then the train jumped the tracks again.

I hope Alferd is never a coach at CU because he is clearly an evil mastermind who can deliver this program straight to hell.

What makes you think I'm not?

freakedoutredneck.jpg

There is no reason to keep Hawkins around just because Cody is QB. It's not like this team is actually playing for anything. They are virtually guaranteed another losing season. Firing Hawkins now sends the message that this program is serious about being a good football team and that we care. Quite frankly, I don't care about the difference between finishing 3-9 or finishing 5-7. They are both terrible. We will be 3-5 next week - 0-4 in conference.

Of our five remaining games, two are no-hopers - OU and Nebraska on the road; one is against a bad Kansas team on the road (we haven't won on the road since the Bush administration); and two are at home against teams that are better us (KSU significantly so) and better coached.

3-2 over that stretch is absolute best case scenario. 1-4 is more likely. IMO we lose to OU and Neb. and take one of three from KSU, ISU, and Kansas.

When you can say, unequivocally, that Baylor and ISU are BOTH clearly better teams than CU, we have a problem. Hawkins has turn this team into a basement-dweller and that won't start changing until he is gone. We suck.

I asked him if he’s worried if defenses will surround the line of scrimmage as Texas Tech did and dare his son, Cody Hawkins, to throw without Tyler Hansen’s running ability as a threat.
“We’ll see. I don’t know.”

Finally some honesty form HCDH!

Back