What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

HCMM's pre-game speech: "You're my dream"

I see dungdevil did not take a break from talking smack once he got started Friday in the chat. Toodaloo, dungman.

411bf71bcc2e165c1df1352fb0b733c1.jpg

Nobody doubts he is all in.

Let's now back it up on the field beyond week 1!
Well, beyond week 2. Idaho State is not going to be a challenge. Not that I want the team to take them lightly, but they're a solid step below CSU.

Crying. To dream that you are crying signifies a release of negative emotions that is more likely caused by some waking situation rather than the events of the dream itself. Your dream is a way to regain some emotional balance and to safely let out your fears and frustrations.

Crying. To dream that you are crying signifies a release of negative emotions that is more likely caused by some waking situation rather than the events of the dream itself. Your dream is a way to regain some emotional balance and to safely let out your fears and frustrations.
sitting on your balls really did a number on you, didn't it?

Not a speech but I was told at halftime by a friend in the room a few players were dancing and celebrating the first half beat down in the locker room and Chiv lit up everyone for celebrating because it was halftime and CU hadn't closed out a game in years!
Good.

Not a speech but I was told at halftime by a friend in the room a few players were dancing and celebrating the first half beat down in the locker room and Chiv lit up everyone for celebrating because it was halftime and CU hadn't closed out a game in years!

As it should be. Awesome move by Chev.

If my dad or any of us boys cried like that we would never live it down. That's what you get when you are raised by an Irish Catholic cop from Chicago.
You were only allowed to cry at funerals. Dramatic speeches never worked on me or my friends, usually it would make us laugh. My coach would grab our face-mask and pull it down if we did anything stupid. Can't do that anymore so I guess crying is the new normal in the locker room.

If my dad or any of us boys cried like that we would never live it down. That's what you get when you are raised by an Irish Catholic cop from Chicago.
You were only allowed to cry at funerals. Dramatic speeches never worked on me or my friends, usually it would make us laugh. My coach would grab our face-mask and pull it down if we did anything stupid. Can't do that anymore so I guess crying is the new normal in the locker room.

There's no "right" personality style for a coach. They all work if the coach is real. HCMM is a Dick Vermeil type guy. Glad he owns it.

Then I really don't understand why you cry so much here. All. The. ****ing. Time. Jesus.

image.jpeg

tick.tock. tick.tock...

I guarantee that Chev yelling was more effective than crying about your dreams to a bunch of young men.
You can be warm and loving without being a sobbing marshmallow.
Just an opinion, you all can love the emotional crying I am perfectly ok with that.
Posting on this forum is similar to conversations with 3rd graders.

I guarantee that Chev yelling was more effective than crying about your dreams to a bunch of young men.
You can be warm and loving without being a sobbing marshmallow.
Just an opinion, you all can love the emotional crying I am perfectly ok with that.
Posting on this forum is similar to conversations with 3rd graders.
So far.

A guy named "BadBone63" is giving life lessons on how to be manly enough so dad doesn't beat you. Neat.

There's no "right" personality style for a coach. They all work if the coach is real. HCMM is a Dick Vermeil type guy. Glad he owns it.

And it certainly seemed to work for Vermeil. One of the few coaches who succeeded at both the college and NFL levels ... not an easy thing to do. Just ask Nick Saban.

Anybody who has watched MM in practice or games is aware that he's not shy about yelling, or holding any player accountable.

And I don't disagree that Chev's in game influence tactics may have some effectiveness. But he could not be effective unless the players realized that he cared deeply about them, would sacrifice for them, and carried himself with credibility. I believe they know that about Chev (though he may display it differently than MM).

Similarly, MM can have no effect in any of his leadership and influence tactics, unless they are underpinned by authentic caring. Different leaders display that differently. There may have been a few guys in the lockerroom that were uncomfortable with MM's display. But I'm sure that none of them doubted the message.

It's entirely possible that Mac's speech was complementary to more aggressive tactics used by himself and other coaches. It's not an either/or proposition. The use of multiple tactics across the spectrum is most effective.

Last edited:
Do you believe false bravado makes you stronger or weaker?

Back