What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Heisman Finalists: Leach Pissed...

Who wins the Heisman?

• Tim Tebow, Florida

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Colt McCoy, Texas

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Sam Bradford, Oklahoma

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • Darrell Scott, Colorado

Votes: 24 34.3%

• Total voters
Kentucky, Auburn, Miss. State, Vandy. Interesting use of "across the board".

EDIT: I've got a lot of respect for the SEC, and I realize that CU, aTm, Iowa State and Baylor didn't exactly tear it up. But again, I think the SEC has one team that plays at the level of the Big XII's top 3. They are solid in the middle. And weak in the bottom. We'll learn a lot more after the bowl games.

You can´t use the results in bowl games to determine the strength of a conference IMO. No, I don´t know hwo to determine the true strength of a conference, either, and the bowl games just might be the best thing to go by, but not everyone treats Bowl games the same. Would you be all that surprised if Texas came out flat against Ohio State because Texas is still disappointed they didn´t get a chance to play for it all? Apart from pride and bragging rights there´s no incentive to win your bowl game.

You can´t use the results in bowl games to determine the strength of a conference IMO. No, I don´t know hwo to determine the true strength of a conference, either, and the bowl games just might be the best thing to go by, but not everyone treats Bowl games the same. Would you be all that surprised if Texas came out flat against Ohio State because Texas is still disappointed they didn´t get a chance to play for it all? Apart from pride and bragging rights there´s no incentive to win your bowl game.

Is that not incentive enough??!! You also get a trophy....but who the **** cares about that...umm I thinky that if you don't care about winning your bowl game because it "doesn't matter" then you shouldn't be playing a competitive sport.

Is that not incentive enough??!! You also get a trophy....but who the **** cares about that...umm I thinky that if you don't care about winning your bowl game because it "doesn't matter" then you shouldn't be playing a competitive sport.

That, and in the particular instance Jens referenced, there is quite a bit for Texas to be playing for. If they beat the everliving crap out of OSU and OU beats Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarida, there is a chance they get the AP title.

Technically it should be.

That, and in the particular instance Jens referenced, there is quite a bit for Texas to be playing for. If they beat the everliving crap out of OSU and OU beats Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarida, there is a chance they get the AP title.

Chances of that are fairly slim, I think. And I realized there was a chance for Texas to win the AP Title, but I still think there´s a chance they don´t give a flying **** about the Fiesta Bowl because the disappointment prevails.

Many people overrate the results of Bowl games.

A newspaper in Oklahoma took a "straw poll" predicting that Bradford will take it home on Saturday.

I heard it on TV, but here's a LINK.

Don't remember where the polls were that year, but wasn't CU in a similar situation in the Siesta Bowl against Oregon?? If UNL had beaten Miami :rofl2: and the Buffs had beaten Oregon :cry: couldn't we have finished #1...

Don't remember where the polls were that year, but wasn't CU in a similar situation in the Siesta Bowl against Oregon?? If UNL had beaten Miami :rofl2: and the Buffs had beaten Oregon :cry: couldn't we have finished #1...

Yeah, but the odds of that happening were very slim, not because of us, but because there was no chance in hell UNL would beat that Miami team..(the best team in the history of CFB)

Yeah, but the odds of that happening were very slim, not because of us, but because there was no chance in hell UNL would beat that Miami team..(the best team in the history of CFB)

I agree with you that Miami team was loaded with talent. Who would have known how the game would have been if we would have been in that game but our chances weren't that good I don't think anyone could have beaten Miami that year.

I'm sick and tired though of hearing all the sports analyst suggesting who and who shouldn't go to a ball game. ESPN analysts lobbies all the time for who should be and shouldn't be in the championship game. They play a big role in who gets the spot lights on the Heisman Tropy and on the BCS games. Georgia like us got screwed last year because they weren't the conference champs but then yet again NU wasn't and they got to play in the Championship game. If the voters vote NU down another ranking like how everyone else seemed to jump Georgia on that last week then there's no doubt that we would have been playing for a NC.

Last edited:

Yeah but both CU and NU were WAAAAAAAY overrated that year.

Every QB at Texas Tech since Leach got there has put up Harrel's numbers. This Tech team is better because of the defense, not the QB. If the past Tech QB's aren't Heisman winners, neither is Harrel. Leach needs to go back to his pirate costumes and shut up.

Every QB at Texas Tech since Leach got there has put up Harrel's numbers. This Tech team is better because of the defense, not the QB. If the past Tech QB's aren't Heisman winners, neither is Harrel. Leach needs to go back to his pirate costumes and shut up.

Crabtree might have a little something to do with it, too. He's a freek. He's the kind of WR that makes the rest of the team better. Opposing defenses have to key on him, which opens up opportunities for everybody else.

Ok, but Heisman finalists are almost always on a superb team, so even if you don't plan on giving him the trophy, give the kid a trip to New York, he's earned it.

Ok, but Heisman finalists are almost always on a superb team, so even if you don't plan on giving him the trophy, give the kid a trip to New York, he's earned it.

How has he earned it? Because he put up the same numbers as any number of former Tech QBs? Texas Tech produces system QBs just like the Broncos produce system RBs. Tech QBs sit on the bench for 4 years getting their timing and reads down, go in for a year, put up HUGE numbers and then disappear. If some of the past Tech QBs had gone on to NFL careers and shown they weren't just products of the system, he might be getting more respect. In fact, I think you can make a very good argument that it's Leach's fault that his QB wasn't invited because of the system.

As an aside, that the 4th place finalist wasn't even invited tells me that 4th place wasn't even close to the top three.

As a second aside, Harrell isn't even the best player on his team, that honor goes to Crabtree, who has a more legitimate gripe for not being invited or even in the discussion than Harrell.

How has he earned it? Because he put up the same numbers as any number of former Tech QBs? Texas Tech produces system QBs just like the Broncos produce system RBs. Tech QBs sit on the bench for 4 years getting their timing and reads down, go in for a year, put up HUGE numbers and then disappear. If some of the past Tech QBs had gone on to NFL careers and shown they weren't just products of the system, he might be getting more respect. In fact, I think you can make a very good argument that it's Leach's fault that his QB wasn't invited because of the system.

As an aside, that the 4th place finalist wasn't even invited tells me that 4th place wasn't even close to the top three.

As a second aside, Harrell isn't even the best player on his team, that honor goes to Crabtree, who has a more legitimate gripe for not being invited or even in the discussion than Harrell.

Who cares if its a system, Tebow's redonkulous rushing TD numbers are part of a system.

Why even mention the NFL? most Heisman trophy winners suck in the NFL.

As for Harrell all he did was break a significant number of tech's passing records, beat the #1 team in the country, lead tech to thier best season in years, with an interception to TD ratio of 6-1, and finish 11-1. The deserves to be there, Leach is right.

Harrell should be there. He's getting no love because the three other guys play for schools that have all won a MNC in the last 10 years.

Harrell should be there. He's getting no love because the three other guys play for schools that have all won a MNC in the last 10 years.

Say "traditional powers" and I agree. Harrell wouldn´t be there even if Tech had won a MNC in the past 10 years.

Say "traditional powers" and I agree. Harrell wouldn´t be there even if Tech had won a MNC in the past 10 years.

Florida is certainly a power, but before Spurrier got there, they had never won much. Had Tech won a MNC in the last 10 years, I think they'd be considered a "traditional power". Just the same, we're talking semantics here. We basically agree.

Who cares if its a system, Tebow's redonkulous rushing TD numbers are part of a system.

Why even mention the NFL? most Heisman trophy winners suck in the NFL.

As for Harrell all he did was break a significant number of tech's passing records, beat the #1 team in the country, lead tech to thier best season in years, with an interception to TD ratio of 6-1, and finish 11-1. The deserves to be there, Leach is right.

True on the Heisman winners in the NFL, at least recently, of course, most Heisman winners actually GO to the NFL, and for all the numbers they put up, Texas Tech QBs haven't been found worthy of being a 3rd QB on ANY NFL team? It's pretty telling that despite the numbers, their careers end after college.

Harrell broke Tech passing records because he played in Leach's system for two years as opposed to 1 year for the majority (I think all) of the QBs that came before him.

Harrell DIDN'T lead the team to their best season in years. That's the point. That offense would have done what it did this year anyway, just like they have every year in the past. Which is why he got the shaft. What vaulted Tech into the top ten? Their defense! If their defense hadn't improved by leaps and bounds, Harrell would have had the exact same year and Tech would have ended up their usual 7-5 or 6-6. Actually, Harrell probably would have had a better year because they woul have been playing from behind most of the time.

You're also still ignoring the fact that Harrell isn't even the best player on his own team. The Heisman is supposed to go to the best player in the nation, and he's not even #1 on his team.

Back