What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Helfrich out at Oregon

Oregon recruiting has been trending down the past couple of years. Rivals has had them in the top 20 once since Helfrich took over. Their in the low 40's right now. Given how much they've spent on facilities for that program that isn't good enough.
I am pretty sure that they weren't in the top 20 that often before Helfrich got there. Going back on Rivals, they have been pretty much the same going from Kelly to Helfrich (20s). Looking at the 2017 class right after they fired their coach doesn't make much sense.

Maybe Helfrich is not the answer but there is enough young talent on Oregon that I agree with @Buffnik that this seems like an overreaction. I guess it all depends on who they get. If they make a meh hire, I could see this really hurting them.

I am pretty sure that they weren't in the top 20 that often before Helfrich got there. Going back on Rivals, they have been pretty much the same going from Kelly to Helfrich (20s). Looking at the 2017 class right after they fired their coach doesn't make much sense.

Maybe Helfrich is not the answer but there is enough young talent on Oregon that I agree with @Buffnik that this seems like an overreaction. I guess it all depends on who they get. If they make a meh hire, I could see this really hurting them.

Really interesting to me is whether they will allow a new coach to come in and do things his way. There are a bunch of assistants and S&C coaches who have been in the program over 20 years. Is this an end to the unprecedented program continuity we've seen at Oregon?

I still think it's pretty crazy that the dude won 11, 13 & 9 games his first 3 years, made the national championship game after winning the Pac-12 just 2 years ago... gets fired and paid over $11 million to walk away after having 1 bad season.

Phil Knight wasn't kidding when he said he was now impatient.
I would have been very gracious in my statement post firing after getting $11M as well.

They seem to hire within their system...going out of their system will be a major change for the program.

Completely agree. I would characterize this as a knee-jerk reaction from a program for whom this sort of season was the norm less than a generation ago. The thing is that they still have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. if they can get the QB question figured out and be just AVERAGE on the defensive side (not such a stretch with the right DC) they could be in the hunt again for the P12N pretty quickly.

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out- not every great coach can win in Eugene. Has to be the right fit, too.

I honestly would not write off Kelly until the job is filled. He brought them to their absolute pinnacle and left them in such a good place that the following coach almost won a national title. I could see Phil Knight throwing monopoly type money at him to come back.

They haven't had a quarterback since Mariotta left. How does that happen?

I honestly would not write off Kelly until the job is filled. He brought them to their absolute pinnacle and left them in such a good place that the following coach almost won a national title. I could see Phil Knight throwing monopoly type money at him to come back.
If that happened it would likely be a situation similar to Harbaugh last year where it dragged on past the NFL regular season.

I saw an article that mentions that he is 78 and wants to see a natty. I guess he feels that clock is ticking quickly.

Agree on Kelly. His NFL head coaching career is over, just a matter of when. He isn't getting another head job after the results of the last two. Mentioned earlier about the likely advantage financially of returning to the college game allowing him to fully collect the rest of his NFL money and his full college money without the offset that taking another NFL job would involve.

Good question though is what happens at Oregon when Phil Knight passes on. He has taken a personal interest in the Oregon program above and beyond a business relationship. His wallet has been wide open in hopes of getting that trophy in Eugene.

Once he is gone how hard is it going to be for them to continue on the same budget path as they are. He may leave them with a large parting gift delaying the adjustment but eventually they won't have that loose source of funds to draw on.

The next Oregon coach could be leading them into a different world in terms of available resources when Phil dies.

The Hoak hire was a head scratcher and did him in...great HC make great hires (MMac)...bad ones get u fired.

I dont think hes a bad DC. But Hoke I think was installing a new defense. He might have done better if he had more time. Both sides of the line also had numerous freshman starting when I looked it up in August. Add in no QB and all that equals a bad combination.

I dont think hes a bad DC. But Hoke I think was installing a new defense. He might have done better if he had more time. Both sides of the line also had numerous freshman starting when I looked it up in August. Add in no QB and all that equals a bad combination.

He has no track record as a DC. None. It was a really bad hire and nobody bothered to really question it because they knew the name Brady Hoke. There is nothing in his resume to suggest he can be a good DC (recall that he never wore the headset as a HC).

This was the only year he has ever worked as a DC. All year, the post-game reports on Oregon was near shellshock by the talking heads at how bad that defense was in both the design and the assignment integrity of players.

Seriously, man. Hoke is terrible at this job.

Thanks for the correction guy. I didnt follow his career too closely and I didnt look any of it up.

How the hell did he get the job at Michigan? Also, Installing a new defense when you dont have the players for it in a critical year for your boss is a big mistake. Hiring someone who was not a DC to be DC is another big mistake. Having no QB is another. Oregon, from the outside, looks to have been a mismanged wreck.

Thanks for the correction guy. I didnt follow his career too closely and I didnt look any of it up.

How the hell did he get the job at Michigan? Also, Installing a new defense when you dont have the players for it in a critical year for your boss is a big mistake. Hiring someone who was not a DC to be DC is another big mistake. Having no QB is another. Oregon, from the outside, looks to have been a mismanged wreck.

He actually did a damn good job building up the SDSU program as a HC (promoted from position coach on defense).

Even worse with Oregon and probably what did Helfrich in: Don Pellum was promoted from within be his DC after Aliotti decided to retire following 2013. Hoke was only hired because Pellum was terrible and had to be demoted back to his old spot.

Back