What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Here's 1 reaction from an Oklahoma fan

They are getting a HUGE payday.

OU and UT are looking at $20 mil each.

Plus they are playing in a cupcake conference. OU and UT have absolutely no interest in playing the likes of USC, Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, etc every single week.

They are getting a big payday according to Don Beebe. We'll see if they really get that enormous jump in television money, or if Don Beebe is still the dolt that has had his thumb (and DeLoss Dodds' d**k) in his mouth for the last several years. This has fiasco written all over it, and I couldn't be happier. We got what we wanted, a Pac-12 without Texass.

That is very debatable. I'd put OU in the Top 10, maybe Top 5, but not #1. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas...

No, it's not debatable. The answer in this case lies in facts, not debate.

1. Michigan: 877-304-38
2. Texas: 845-321-34
3. Notre Dame: 837-291-42
4. Nebraska: 827-341-41
5. Ohio State: 819-308-53
6. Alabama: 813-316-43
7. Penn State 812-351-43
8. Oklahoma: 796-305-53
9. Tennessee: 783-333-55
10. USC: 774-307-54

7. Penn State 812-351-43

A mention of their seven national championships and the 47 game winning streak might also be worthy of considering in this non-argument. I don't like the dirt burglars but to say that they don't belong very close to the top of the all time list would not be accurate.

If I wanted to take the time to look it up I could also mention the number of Heismans, Outlands, All-Americans, etc. which also rank at or near the top of the list.

I can see how long time Sooners fans will chafe under the reign of the Big Texas conference and their royal leaders in Austin while longing for the good old days of the Big 8. I have seen reports that they along with aTm will get $20 million shares of conference money along with Texas but as long as the Whore-ens are calling the shots I don't see OU as happy.

Yes, it is debatable, given all of the different lists of facts one may use. Do we use national titles? All-time wins? Winning percentage? Then there is supporting evidence such as number of conference titles, weeks ranked #1, number of All-Americans, NCAA Hall of Famers, Heisman winners, et al. I would argue against using national titles, since in the past the voting was so subjective and numerous agencies can grant titles how they see fit. This contrasts greatly with NCAA hoops, where there is one definitive winner each season.

This is a very grey subject, my friend. The common themes from all of these lists will point to the same ~10 usual suspects. But determining who's #1 or who's #5 is purely subjective.

7. Penn State 812-351-43

That is very debatable. I'd put OU in the Top 10, maybe Top 5, but not #1. Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas...

I would tend to agree. Certainly top 10 material and probably top 5 but not the top dog. Probably Notre Dame or Bama or Michigan (if you go by wins) or UCS.

OU has a ton of National Championships but many of them were tainted by probation.

Sacky said...

They're the winningest program in the history of college football.

Am I mistaken or is the criterion for determining "winningest" pretty cut and dried?

Look, I don't want to argue semantics, but I read what I read. If we were searching for the "best" football program of all time, or the "most successful" that would certainly usher in a wonderful debate (or the potential for one).

OK. So they're not the winningest program in the NCAA. I'll concede that. I had read it somewhere - probably an OU forum. I'll still argue that they're one of a handful of elite college football programs.

I would tend to agree. Certainly top 10 material and probably top 5 but not the top dog. Probably Notre Dame or Bama or Michigan (if you go by wins) or UCS.

OU has a ton of National Championships but many of them were tainted by probation.

EVERY one of them came +/- within five years of major NCAA infractions.

EVERY one of them came +/- within five years of major NCAA infractions.

Of course compared with the pure as driven snow Alabama program, I don't defend their methods but to varying degrees each of the programs on the list has had at least some questionable actions surrounding the program. U$C is the latest on the list of offenders. Notre Dame hired Lou Holtz, possibly the cheatingest coach in recent history who had left his prior stops on probation. They also have brought in and kept high character guys like Michael Stonebreaker (sexual assault, etc.) among other things. Texas, in addition to the $100 handshake and the access to "hostesses" has at times had a lot of players driving expensive cars from certain dealers. I could go on about each of the schools on the list to one degree or other. It is easy to dismiss National Championships as a measure if it makes your argument look bad but I kind of thought that winning championships is what it is all about, regardless of the system for determining them, when a team aspires to be the best.

We may not like to admit it but by all measures OU is at least in the top 5 overall and can make a very good argument to go higher.

It is fun to debate, no doubt.

Switching over to hoops, I feel like there are fewer top programs, and those top dogs are a clear cut above the rest. I'm thinking of Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, North Carolina, Duke. UCLA is old money, Duke is new money.

The next five might include Indiana, Syracuse, Arizona, UConn and Michigan State. But it is clear that these five are much inferior to the first five.

If we were searching for the "best" football program of all time, or the "most successful" that would certainly usher in a wonderful debate (or the potential for one).

Back