What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hire troy calhoun

At this point I no longer care who is hired. Anyone has got to be better than this fraud of coach we have now. I would still prefer Mac over Calhoun or whoever else, but in the end I don't really care. I just want something new, now! I want renewed energy for this program. I want these kids playing for us to feel like they have a competent leader. I can't imagine what it is like playing for DII knowing he and most of his assistants (Cabral and possibly Ambrose and Prince excluded) are morons.

prince ambrose and cabral are holdovers id like

^^Agree with this^^ Although it needs to be the decision of the new coach. After this week I know this may not be popular but I also wouldn't mind seeing Keisau get a chance in some capacity without Hawkins around to screw him up. Watching the games it seems like the less involved Hawkins is in the ongoing game management the more effective we are. When Hawk is just standing there listening in on the headphones and patting guys on the butt the team works. When Hawkins starts getting involved in the decision making process then we start getting the confusion, plays get in late, bad plays get called (and rushed to the line to late to change out of,) the QBs stand there with that "Just give me the play" look on their faces and confusion reigns. I think Keisau could be a good young coach and we know he can recruit. He is under contract for another year anyways, lets see what he can do without the "guidance" of Hawk.

not sold on Calhoun....one decent season doesn't make a coach....Talk has some decent seasons at Boise and look where we are...we need someone with experience winning at big programs....not someone that almost beat OU once.

it PAINS me to say this because I think he always laid and egg in a big game, but I would totally take Barnett back for the next say two seasons as opposed to Hawk for the rest of this one.

I'm not sure that Calhoun takes the CU job if offered. Look at the positives and negatives

+'s
Higher salary
Higher profile (PAC12 school, more national TV, etc.)
More control of and flexibility in program (doesn't have to conform to AFA schedule and entrance requirement)

-'s
AFA grad, dream job
Personality much better fit for AFA
Doesn't have to recruit against top schools to win
Doesn't have to win big to keep job (run a good program, win the CIC trophy regularly, go to a mid-level bowl and you are set)
Doesn't have to deal much with discipline (guys are already highly disciplined, if there is a problem often can be handled quietly within academy)
Not a lot of media pressure
System works at this level
Seems to be very happy at AFA, no guarantee of that at CU

He WILL be Hawk ver 2.0, it is not a question to me. He has shown nothing to me that he will translate to big boy football

If he starts winning, the school/campus will sell itself. Right?? Or has it been so long that these young kids don't remember when we were dominant?

Dude's a good coach. I believe he'd do well at CU if he can draw the assistants he'd need for recruiting. That's the issue.

I don't care who we hire, unless it's Dave Logan. I would stop being a CU fan while he was HC.

I will say Air Force offense is really fun to watch.

If he starts winning, the school/campus will sell itself. Right?? Or has it been so long that these young kids don't remember when we were dominant?

Well, think about this one: the recruiting class of 2012 was BORN the last year CU was really a legit national threat in 1994. (I know there were a couple of years after that were good, but just sayin'. And they were 6-7 years old in 2001. That's all ancient history to them.

I personally don't think Calhoun would be the best choice. He does have experience as an OC at Wake and Houston Texans, so he wouldn't necessarily bring the wishbone/option offense with him as all he knows. However, as an AFA graduate, he is kind of where he fits best, I think. If he would even take the job, we would need to have some idea of what kind of assistant coaches he would like to bring with him, as the Boise Boys Club did not do much for us!!!

And the Calhoun - Bzz comparisions are way out of line. Bzz didn't have any connection to the Academy, and was only there for two seasons. He won because the players Joe Scott recruited were in their 3rd and 4th years, and they were focused and disciplined. It was truly a stepping stone job for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Calhoun stay at AFA for quite a while.

And the Calhoun - Bzz comparisions are way out of line. Bzz didn't have any connection to the Academy, and was only there for two seasons. He won because the players Joe Scott recruited were in their 3rd and 4th years, and they were focused and disciplined. It was truly a stepping stone job for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Calhoun stay at AFA for quite a while.

Man. That 77 guy knows his stuff. :thumbsup:

you seem to have tunnel vision on mac...what's the difference
I have tunnel vision on Mac as long as either Embree or Bienemy are along for the ride....
I would also hope that a national search is done but doubt Bohn will do that. Mike wants Calhoun and that's
not good enough. He's a smart guy but I think Colorado and the 'culture' of Boulder will go over his head. Mac, Embree & EB
'get Boulder' ...

i agree on a national search and i believe in bohn... i just dont think we should fixate... like the boosters are on mac... or like the rumors say bohn is

i agree on a national search and i believe in bohn... i just dont think we should fixate... like the boosters are on mac... or like the rumors say bohn is
I fear from what I'm hearing than Bohn has a bohner for Calhoun. Big $$ donors don't like this as they want Mac back.
I highly believe that if Mac would come back then he'd bring Embree or Bienemy as OC.

Given these choices the only way to go is Mac. Calhoun to see seems like Hawkins Part Deux.

I can't see Bienemy taking a OC job with Mac at CU, but I can see Mac getting Embree to join him.

Like ITB said, If Mac can bring a solid OC with him, I'd take that over Calhoun any day.

Problem with the EB and Embo OC talk is that neither has ever called a play or designed a playbook. Somehow, a lot of fans think letting them learn on the job under a defensive head coach who has been away from the game for 15 years is somehow a great idea. Hell, some people say that having EB or Embo in that job makes them feel better about Mac as HC. I don't get it. If they all had the same resumes but weren't Buffs, people would think this idea was as crazy as Logan for HC. This hire's too important for nostalgia to be the reason for the hire.

Problem with the EB and Embo OC talk is that neither has ever called a play or designed a playbook. Somehow, a lot of fans think letting them learn on the job under a defensive head coach who has been away from the game for 15 years is somehow a great idea. Hell, some people say that having EB or Embo in that job makes them feel better about Mac as HC. I don't get it. If they all had the same resumes but weren't Buffs, people would think this idea was as crazy as Logan for HC. This hire's too important for nostalgia to be the reason for the hire.

Sounds like our current offensive "leaders"!!

Sounds like an absolute recipe for disaster. I hope we don't hire him. I'm sure he is a great coach for the situation he is in at AFA, but I don't want us gambling on this type of coach.

I'm not sold on the EB or Embo proposition either, but I would reconsider if Hankowitz was running the defense. His second tour of duty with GB was one of the best coaching performances we've seen in Boulder imo. That would provide some cushion, given that we recruited well- jimmies and joes and all that.

I don't feel like we are taking a chance with Mac and whoever he brings with him. I think we know he will be good while his passion is still with him. With Calhoun it is somewhat of a leap of faith. Furthermore, if Mac were on board we should see a massive increase in dollars to the program. We need that badly to compete at this point. This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Assuming that we don't pull a K-State and hire a septuagenarian...

Who do you honestly think we can hire that would have a better track record than Calhoun? The dude is a current NCAA coach with bowl games on his resume. Plus, he was an NFL OC.

Are there any successful current Big Six head coaches that might be willing to come here? Riley? Petrino? Whittingham? The guy from Baylor?

So, we'll have to dip into the non-AQ pool to find a worthy candidate. Peterson and Patterson aren't coming here, so who better than Calhoun?

Last edited:
There are LOTS of good coaches out there - both head coaches and assistant coaches. Hopefully Bohn will make inquiries into them all.

Mike Leach is unemployed, at the moment. He certainly has more BCS experience, big time coaching background, than someone like Troy Calhoun.

His time in the NFL on both sides of the ball means he knows a good ASST coach from a bad one imo. He has been successful at AFA, and when he lost a DC, they plugged another right in. That says a lot for a guy who is primarily an offensive coach. He's flexible too, running a totally different style at AFA than he ran in the NFL.

A little discipline will be good. CU needs to be the bully tough-guy team in the PAC10.

The only question is will he leave the Academy.
He's my #1 pick right now. I hate the risk of taking a top coordinator. You never know how it will translate to Head Coach.
Calhoun is proven and he can recruit, evaluate, run a program.

His time in the NFL on both sides of the ball means he knows a good ASST coach from a bad one imo. He has been successful at AFA, and when he lost a DC, they plugged another right in. That says a lot for a guy who is primarily an offensive coach. He's flexible too, running a totally different style at AFA than he ran in the NFL.

A little discipline will be good. CU needs to be the bully tough-guy team in the PAC10.

The only question is will he leave the Academy.
He's my #1 pick right now. I hate the risk of taking a top coordinator. You never know how it will translate to Head Coach.
Calhoun is proven and he can recruit, evaluate, run a program.

How on earth do you know he can recruit?? What big time college athlete has Troy Calhoun EVER recruited? Name for me one player that Troy Calhoun out-recruited a coach from Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, etc.

How on earth do you know he can recruit?? What big time college athlete has Troy Calhoun EVER recruited? Name for me one player that Troy Calhoun out-recruited a coach from Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Oregon, etc.

You look at this different than me. I don't care who the 5-star guys are.

He CAN recruit, because he's found a bunch of guys without any other options who can play with the big boys. Did you see the game at Norman? Ask Bob Stoops if he thinks Troy Calhoun can recruit.

Take the guys we got now, whip them into shape, kick some Pac12 Arses. Then go find some better athletes who are not afraid to become football players. They will be lining up to play for the man. And while you are at it, stuff my Rivals.com membership up my own arse because it's the most ridiculous thing in the world. I can't believe I paid for that crap!

You look at this different than me. I don't care who the 5-star guys are.

He CAN recruit, because he's found a bunch of guys without any other options who can play with the big boys. Did you see the game at Norman? Ask Bob Stoops if he thinks Troy Calhoun can recruit.

Take the guys we got now, whip them into shape, kick some Pac12 Arses. Then go find some better athletes who are not afraid to become football players. They will be lining up to play for the man. And while you are at it, stuff my Rivals.com membership up my own arse because it's the most ridiculous thing in the world. I can't believe I paid for that crap!

Let me begin by saying, I have no idea if Troy Calhoun can recruit. He has never displayed that he CAN recruit. That doesn't mean that he can't. Perhaps he is an outstanding recruiter, and when given the opportunity, he will be able to showcase that. But I will take umbrage with anyone who says that Troy Calhoun can recruit, simply because there is absolutely no evidence to show that he can.

That being said - I also saw Utah State play with OU in Norman. Does that mean CU should go after Utah State's head coach?

Ultimately - there are a significant number of pieces which simply have to come together for a head coach to be successful. Those pieces have not come together at CU in a long time, and it is my humble opinion that they probably won't come together again for a long time.

Can we please look at someone from a BCS conference school and NOT from Colorado and NOT from nostalgia?

Back