What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Houston vs TTech..

My formula would be to find a coordinator who has a reputation as a great recruiter.

While it would be awesome to have a "great recruiter" I don't know that it would make a tremendous difference at a school like CU.

CU is never going to recruit better than OU, Texas, Nebraska, A&M, OSU, etc. Regardless of the coach, CU will recruit better than CSU, KSU, ISU, etc.

Wow. Tech just got bent over. That was a TD.

Disagree. Progress was stopped and the QBs knee may have been down. Then the RB ran in and pushed him forward (which is actually a penalty).

Disagree. Progress was stopped and the QBs knee may have been down. Then the RB ran in and pushed him forward (which is actually a penalty).

Perhaps, but you play to the whistle, no? What happens if there is a fumble before the play is blown dead?

Doesn't matter, I guess. Interception.

While it would be awesome to have a "great recruiter" I don't know that it would make a tremendous difference at a school like CU.

CU is never going to recruit better than OU, Texas, Nebraska, A&M, OSU, etc. Regardless of the coach, CU will recruit better than CSU, KSU, ISU, etc.

I don't know that you can make that kind of blanket statement. The 2008 class at CU was better than everyone but OU and UT (and UT was #14 to our #15). 2009 probably would have been a similar class if we'd been able to keep things rolling after the 3-0 start. We sell ourselves short and really need to get our swagger back.

Helluva prediction Jimmy. :thumbsup: Are you predicting the Buffs to lose in Morgantown? I hope so.

Houston wins. Can't wait for everybody wanting us to kidnap Sumlin on our way to WVU and leave Hawkins bound and gagged on the side of the road with a $3 million check in his pocket.

Ohhhhh Jimmy, I believe you went so far as to use the guy rolling on the floor laughing when I said Houston would win? Any crow that you're interested in eating??:smile2:

Ohhhhh Jimmy, I believe you went so far as to use the guy rolling on the floor laughing when I said Houston would win? Any crow that you're interested in eating??:smile2:

yeah, blah, blah.. One point win. Big frickin deal.. :lol:

Frickin TTech. :bang:

Last edited:
yeah, blah, blah.. One point win. Big frickin deal.. :lol:

Frickin TTech. :bang:

Oh give me a ****ing break Jimmy. You were running your mouth all day about how TT was gonna destroy Sumlin, and now that Sumlin has beaten two good Big 12 south teams in a row, you can't give him any credit? You also ran your mouth about OU killing BYU this year, that didn't happen, but you gave credit to BYU then. Why not Houston? Why not respect a team thats nicknamed Cougars from now on???

Oh give me a ****ing break Jimmy. You were running your mouth all day about how TT was gonna destroy Sumlin, and now that Sumlin has beaten two good Big 12 south teams in a row, you can't give him any credit? You also ran your mouth about OU killing BYU this year, that didn't happen, but you gave credit to BYU then. Why not Houston? Why not respect a team thats nicknamed Cougars from now on???

Screw Houston and screw Sumlin.. :smile2:

Happy.. :smile2:

And it was more of trying to get under the skin of all the pro-Sumlin crowd more than hating on Sumlin and Houston.. They won, good for them..

Last edited:

I think it does make a bit of difference at CU. At the very least, a coaching staff at CU has to have recruiting ties to California and Texas, Florida ties would be a bonus. We may never recruit better than the teams you mention, but a great recruiter could certainly close the gap.

I think it does make a bit of difference at CU. At the very least, a coaching staff at CU has to have recruiting ties to California and Texas, Florida ties would be a bonus. We may never recruit better than the teams you mention, but a great recruiter could certainly close the gap.

We must get back into Texas... Teams that have passed us in the North (Kansas and Missouri) each have mined Texas players to turn it around..

We must get back into Texas... Teams that have passed us in the North (Kansas and Missouri) each have mined Texas players to turn it around..

I know Valdez and some others think the whole "we need to recruit Texas harder" argument is a little weak (and I respect that opinion), but I just think it should be easier to recruit kids that can actually watch your games on TV most weeks.

The thing is, you do not even have to recruit the entire state of Texas, you could pick the DFW Metroplex or the Houston area and find several good players focusing on just one metropolitan region. Mizzou and Kansas have really mined DFW for talent.

I don't think you can fault Bohn for the Hawkins hire. Hawkins was 50-11 or something when CU hired him. There may have been some who were not convinced by Hawkins' credentials (given the school he was at) but there wasn't any question that he was 100% qualified for the job.

Those who say that Hawkings was not considered a major hire at the time are practicing revisionist history. He had the record, his teams were grabbing attention on the national stage, and with his personallity he was a media favorite. There was none of this talk about hiring the wrong guy out of Boise or Hawk being a product of the system, etc.

Unfortunately it just goes to show that there is no such thing as a slam dunk hire. We have seen big winners from mid-major schools step up and win, we have also seen them fail. We have seen coordinators from major programs succeed and again we have seen some of them fall flat on their faces. There have even been guys who won at major conference programs who have moved to other schools and failed. There are no guarantees. Even schools with major resources have failed on hires. Do you think OU in hindsite would repeat the Blake hire, Notre Dame (and then Washington) Tyrone Willingham. Alabama spent huge money on some guys who failed to make bowl games some years. Clemson has gone through a who line of coaches despite having a big budget program and huge support.

Based on history, Hawk was as good a hire at the time as we could have hoped for and lots of CU fans were very happy to have him. Who knows, had the program not been at such a low ebb when he got here he might have done better but clearly so far he hasn't gotten the job done.

If Bohn is in a position to hire a coach within the next year we may or may not agree with the choice but nobody including Bohn can guarantee success.

Back