What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How excited are you about Dorrell as our new HC?

How excited are you?

Results are only viewable after voting.
giphy.gif

If he consistently can get 6 wins I’d take that, but I have my doubts he can do it at a harder job 15 years later after being an NFL position coach for so long. Unless he can pull together a great staff, he’s going to have issues recruiting.Twitter wasn’t around last time he was a head coach, times have changed.

This hire risks total fan apathy. If we start out 1-3 (totally possible) all the fan interest Tucker generated will be gone.

8. Maybe it's Pollyannaish but he's an assistant HC for an NFL team. Sure, it's only been a few days, but he's obviously an important part of an NFL organization. Now he's coming here with a very good recruiting class, a better roster than the one that won 5 games last season and 0 expectations. Seems like there's nowhere to go but up

I voted a "7" because I met the man when I had the chance to coach at the '98 summer camp at CU as a HS WR coach. As others have said, he's a class act, through & through. I never understood the relationship he had with Neuweasel as they were so very different. I've already talked to a good friend who is still in the HS coaching ranks as an OC with a prominent school on the north side and he really likes the hire as well. He believes that the in-state coaches will be enthusiastic about & embrace KD. Maybe not to the level of McChesney, but still be very positive about it. The big question for me is who he gets as his OL coach. We all witnessed the improvement made when Kap was hired and the program can't afford to take a significant step back with the play at that position. If they can continue to do good things recruiting-wise in TX with Chiv, I think they should be in decent shape. Perhaps they can improve in CA with KD's previous ties there. So yes, I'm biased that I want to see him succeed based on a brief interaction with him years ago, but it's easy to root for someone when they made a positive impression.

8. Maybe it's Pollyannaish but he's an assistant HC for an NFL team. Sure, it's only been a few days, but he's obviously an important part of an NFL organization. Now he's coming here with a very good recruiting class, a better roster than the one that won 5 games last season and 0 expectations. Seems like there's nowhere to go but up
you may wanna put a pin in that very good recruiting class...

Exciting is a weird question. I don’t see how anyone is excited about the hire. He’s just not someone who invokes those emotions on the surface, IMO. That doesn’t mean he’s not an okay hire with a chance to be far better than anticipated. I think there are more unknowns about how he will manage this program than any other candidate out there, good or bad.

At the end of the day, I guess I trust that RG and LC have addressed his past “failures” and have a well thought out plan for assistants and recruiting. I have a very hard time believing they went from finalizing a contract with ace recruiter Steve Sarkisian to hiring Karl Dorrell within 48 hours, without feeling comfortable that Dorrell can recruit at an acceptable level.

Exciting is a weird question. I don’t see how anyone is excited about the hire. He’s just not someone who invokes those emotions on the surface, IMO. That doesn’t mean he’s not an okay hire with a chance to be far better than anticipated. I think there are more unknowns about how he will manage this program than any other candidate out there, good or bad.

At the end of the day, I guess I trust that RG and LC have addressed his past “failures” and have a well thought out plan for assistants and recruiting. I have a very hard time believing they went from finalizing a contract with ace recruiter Steve Sarkisian to hiring Karl Dorrell within 48 hours, without feeling comfortable that Dorrell can recruit at an acceptable level.
Hires invoke excitement.

I'm seeing strong negative emotions on this one.

I'm seeing most people in the mid-range (+/- 2 from a "5"), with that skewing toward frustration instead of hope.

6. Given the fact the administration doesn’t care about the football program and it’s the end of February it was an ok hire. I’m also starting to feel like CU is an undesirable place to coach.

Gotta be some formula to measure the spectrum between a desirable football program or some kind of coaching graveyard.

HC / tenure / Record/Exit / Next Job
Fairbanks/3yr/ 7-36 /Fired /USFL HC
McCartney /13yr/93-55-5/Quit/left football
Neuheisel/ 4yr/33-14/Hired Away/ HC UDub
Barnett/ 7yr/49-38/Fired/left football
Hawkins/5yr/19-39/Fired/CFL HC
Embree/2yr/4-21/Fired/NFL assistant
MacIntyre/5yr/30-44/Fired/Ol’Miss DC
Tucker/1yr/5-7/hired away/HC MSU

8 coaches - 5 fired.
5 did not immediately return to NCAA.
1 to NFL.
1 to Canadian League.
1 to USFL
2 hired away as HC for more $.
2 retired permanently from football

trends: shorter tenures, fewer winning seasons.

More likely to be fired than headhunted
More likely to leave with a losing record.
Tenure expectancy <5yrs

1:4 of stepping stone to better NCAA job.
1:4 of coaching abroad or with expansion league.
1:4 of not coaching again.
1:8 of demotion to NCAA assistant. 1:8 of an NFL gig.

3:8 of a winning record.

Hires invoke excitement.

I'm seeing most people in the mid-range (+/- 2 from a "5"), with that skewing toward frustration instead of hope.
Hires invoke an emotion based on a persons pre conceived idea about what they think the hire should look like.

This came out of left field, it’s not a sexy name and there are a lot of questions surrounding key aspects of his ability to do the job at a high level that we don’t know the answers to or the plan for.

Do you, personally, believe Rick George and Lance Carl threw their hands up and said “**** it” (when Sarkisian backed out) we’ll just hire this random guy because he was a Buff coach 25 years ago? Or do you believe he was always on their short list of candidates for calculated reasons, they feel comfortable with the plan he has for the program, and that’s why they moved on him so quickly after Sark backed out?

Hires invoke an emotion based on a persons pre conceived idea about what they think the hire should look like.

This came out of left field, it’s not a sexy name and there are a lot of questions surrounding key aspects of his ability to do the job at a high level that we don’t know the answers to or the plan for.

Do you, personally, believe Rick George and Lance Carl threw their hands up and said “**** it” (when Sarkisian backed out) we’ll just hire this random guy because he was a Buff coach 25 years ago? Or do you believe he was always on their short list of candidates for calculated reasons, they feel comfortable with the plan he has for the program, and that’s why they moved on him so quickly after Sark backed out?
I think they over-valued someone who wouldn't bolt at the first opportunity -- and they were holding out to not let that drive the decision but made a hard turn in that direction when the Sark negotiations reinforced the problem.

I give it a 1 because it just isn’t “exciting” at all. At the same time, I’m ready to support Hot Karl and believe he has a chance to be successful here.

Gotta be some formula to measure the spectrum between a desirable football program or some kind of coaching graveyard.

HC / tenure / Record/Exit / Next Job
Fairbanks/3yr/ 7-36 /Fired /USFL HC
McCartney /13yr/93-55-5/Quit/left football
Neuheisel/ 4yr/33-14/Hired Away/ HC UDub
Barnett/ 7yr/49-38/Fired/left football
Hawkins/5yr/19-39/Fired/CFL HC
Embree/2yr/4-21/Fired/NFL assistant
MacIntyre/5yr/30-44/Fired/Ol’Miss DC
Tucker/1yr/5-7/hired away/HC MSU

8 coaches - 5 fired.
5 did not immediately return to NCAA.
1 to NFL.
1 to Canadian League.
1 to USFL
2 hired away as HC for more $.
2 retired permanently from football

trends: shorter tenures, fewer winning seasons.

More likely to be fired than headhunted
More likely to leave with a losing record.
Tenure expectancy <5yrs

1:4 of stepping stone to better NCAA job.
1:4 of coaching abroad or with expansion league.
1:4 of not coaching again.
1:8 of demotion to NCAA assistant. 1:8 of an NFL gig.

3:8 of a winning record.

Thanks for the data. So the last 4 HCs at CU have cumulatively gone 58-111. That's .343.....HOF for an outfielder, bad for a football coach. Gotta think that KD can outperform that in his sleep.

Hires invoke excitement.

I would say hires invoke excitement when you’ve fired your coach, not necessarily when your coach quit. Who was excited about Neuheisal? Barnett? There were a lot of questions about those hires at the time.

I would say hires invoke excitement when you’ve fired your coach, not necessarily when your coach quit. Who was excited about Neuheisal? Barnett? There were a lot of questions about those hires at the time.
I remember the feeling I had when they hired rick, not a good feeling. This hire has left me with total apathy at this point, now after he lays out his plan I hope I'm a 10 because I like being excited for the Buffs. Hope is GOOD

Back