What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How fast will college football die?

Lacrosse deals with concussions too. So does soccer and hockey. It feels like ignorance to stop your child from playing football, only to be OK with him playing lacrosse.
True statement. Football has just as much of a chance with injuries as any other sport, maybe a little more so. The issue is due to the fact NFL is the most popular sport with the most money. People are going to attack that first.

There is a lot of miss information that is being funneled to the parents at the youngest age levels. People need to do their own research and find out what is best for them. If they feel playing football is not right for their child, then that is their choice. I believe tackle shouldn't be played until later and mainly due to the fact that most kids aren't mentally and physically ready to play tackle football. Flag football is a great game for kids to get introduced until they are physically and mentally ready, IMO. However, I think some people are using the CTE as an attack on the game of football itself. It is a scary situation, but there has been so much research and information that we now have, that I feel they can take positive steps to keep the game as safe as possible.

Also, a little weird that people swear up and down they would never let their child play the game, yet will spend money watching or going to games to watch other people do the same thing.

Lacrosse deals with concussions too. So does soccer and hockey. It feels like ignorance to stop your child from playing football, only to be OK with him playing lacrosse.

false. my son plays both. in fact he plays lax 3/4 of the year so his potential for it is higher due to time on the field.

so far the concussion score is Football: 2 Lax: 0.

I think he's done with football now. too much to lose. this from a kid that has college potential. he's done

false. my son plays both. in fact he plays lax 3/4 of the year so his potential for it is higher due to time on the field.

so far the concussion score is Football: 2 Lax: 0.

I think he's done with football now. too much to lose. this from a kid that has college potential. he's done
It’s not a true or false issue. It’s a fact that concussions happen in lacrosse and other sports. Just because your son hasn’t gotten one doesn’t mean he won’t. I played football for 10 years and was never concussed to my knowledge.

It’s not a true or false issue. It’s a fact that concussions happen in lacrosse and other sports. Just because your son hasn’t gotten one doesn’t mean he won’t. I played football for 10 years and was never concussed to my knowledge.
I can tell you the incidence of concussion in lax is FAR less than football

Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.
  • Football: 64 -76.8
  • Boys' ice hockey: 54
  • Girl's soccer: 33
  • Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
  • Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
  • Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
  • Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
  • Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
  • Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
  • Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
  • Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
  • Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
  • Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
  • Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
  • Girls' gymnastics: 7
http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussion_info/stats_on_concussions_sports

Again, this is not just about concussions. It's about the cumulative affect of sub-concussive events that take place over the course of seasons and years. For football, there can be roughly 800-900 per year, and for football players who play for 20+ years, that is a lot of damage.

I can tell you the incidence of concussion in lax is FAR less than football

Concussion Rates per Sport

The below numbers indicate the amount of sports concussions taking place per 100,000 athletic exposures. An athletic exposure is defined as one athlete participating in one organized high school athletic practice or competition, regardless of the amount of time played.
  • Football: 64 -76.8
  • Boys' ice hockey: 54
  • Girl's soccer: 33
  • Boys' lacrosse: 40 - 46.6
  • Girls' lacrosse: 31 - 35
  • Boys' soccer: 19 - 19.2
  • Boys' wrestling: 22 - 23.9
  • Girls' basketball: 18.6 - 21
  • Girls' softball: 16 - 16.3
  • Boys' basketball: 16 - 21.2
  • Girls' field hockey: 22 - 24.9
  • Cheerleading: 11.5 to 14
  • Girls' volleyball: 6 - 8.6
  • Boys' baseball: Between 4.6 - 5
  • Girls' gymnastics: 7
http://www.headcasecompany.com/concussion_info/stats_on_concussions_sports
Sounds like girls gymnastics for all! My wife would be happy! ;)

I believe we will move closer to Ruby in the future. You can modify the current game to be much more like rugby and still keep the excitement of the game. @BuffsRising said it first but there are many fewer concussions in rugby because without helmets there is no leading with the head and many of the coaches in the game teach proper tackling techniques. The game is fast, rough and damn exciting. Put in some of the football rules and plays and you would have a very fun game to watch. Go to full rugby rules and you have a great game already.

Soccer

Luckily neither of my kids were interested in football or any of the ball sports and took up motocross racing and show jumping horses.

Luckily neither of my kids were interested in football or any of the ball sports and took up motocross racing.
motocross - is that safe? I'd imagine some pretty bad injuries in that activity - such as concussions

The problem with football is that the players wear a helmet and a suit of armor that projects a false sense of safety. In football there is some kind of a blow, sudden change of direction, impact with the ground, or jostling of the head on nearly every play the player is involved in. The entire game is built around body blows, contact, hard tackles, and beefy strength play. Its meant to be brutal.

I dont think any of the other sports you mention have direct physical take downs as a feature of the sport. Mostly because anyone who has the ball can pass to anyone else when he/she encounters pressure. Whereas in football everyone is after the guy with the ball and hurting him to stop him is a possibility of the play.

Again, this is not just about concussions. It's about the cumulative affect of sub-concussive events that take place over the course of seasons and years. For football, there can be roughly 800-900 per year, and for football players who play for 20+ years, that is a lot of damage.

This.

Last edited:
motocross - is that safe? I'd imagine some pretty bad injuries in that activity - such as concussions
It was kind of a lame joke. Riding horses is probably the most dangerous sport in the world, and motocross is right up there as well. However for my kids, the positives that they got out of participating outweighed the risks involved. There's a lot of really dangerous sports, the list is not limited to football. Does anybody in Colorado ski? Rock climb? mountain bike? For those that would never let their kids play football, are their any other sports banned or is it just football you worry about?

It was kind of a lame joke. Riding horses is probably the most dangerous sport in the world, and motocross is right up there as well. However for my kids, the positives that they got out of participating outweighed the risks involved. There's a lot of really dangerous sports, the list is not limited to football. Does anybody in Colorado ski? Rock climb? mountain bike? For those that would never let their kids play football, are their any other sports banned or is it just football you worry about?
sorry - I'm slow

Don't know about everywhere, but our Pop Warner roles are way down. At some point we have more kids in PW cheer.

This will hit NCAA and NFL in a decade. P5s eare already competing for a smaller talent pool.

Boston University has had some promising research in developing a test that detects CTE in the living. If the technology ever gets there, this is the death knell for football at every level other than professional, in my opinion. What parent is going to let their son continue to play football in middle school or high school if they show signs of CTE? What insurance company is going to insure any University or high school? Perhaps the game switches to flag football, but flag football isn't bringing in the level of dollars that the pro and college game are used to. I hope I'm wrong and a combination of improved testing, improved technique, and improved protection technology can mitigate the concerns, but we may be watching this generation's boxing.

Every sport has an inherent risk. The fact people flick their nose at football and put their kids in sports/activities that have the same risk is funny to me. It's a personal choice and completely understand if one choices not to play football or have their child play. It's a personal choice and personal opinion.

Boston University has had some promising research in developing a test that detects CTE in the living. If the technology ever gets there, this is the death knell for football at every level other than professional, in my opinion. What parent is going to let their son continue to play football in middle school or high school if they show signs of CTE? What insurance company is going to insure any University or high school? Perhaps the game switches to flag football, but flag football isn't bringing in the level of dollars that the pro and college game are used to. I hope I'm wrong and a combination of improved testing, improved technique, and improved protection technology can mitigate the concerns, but we may be watching this generation's boxing.
If this is true (which is a good thing) then the same can be said about any sport that has an apparent risk for head injury, not just football. Football has the most head injuries, but it is also the most played sport, still.

Every sport has an inherent risk. The fact people flick their nose at football and put their kids in sports/activities that have the same risk is funny to me. It's a personal choice and completely understand if one choices not to play football or have their child play. It's a personal choice and personal opinion.
But they're not the SAME risk and that is the point. Yes, there are inherent risks in all sports, but in tackle football the odds of sustaining concussions is much higher.

You will never take the risk of head injury out of sport, of any sport that involves high levels of physical exertion and potential contact with other players, the playing surface, or equipment.

It is false though to assume that you can't reduce the incidence of head injury without substantially changing the game. Football still has a high incidence of knee injuries, it used to be much, much higher. Rules have changed that greatly reduce the number of hits players take to the knee or the knee area. Blocking techniques are changed and rules support those changes. The same has already started regarding contact to the head and will continue to develop in the game.

At what point do we decide to put everyone in a big plastic bubble and take all risk out of life. Reward involves some risk, we can manage that risk but there will always be some risk involved in living life to it's fullest.

A neuroradiologist who I know, was telling me its not uncommon to find marathon runners with CTE syndrome. Its the death by a 1000 cuts analogy. The constant micro pounding the brain experiences from just running can take its toll over time. To be completely safe, we would need sports to be played in a zero gravity environment. Maybe Water Polo is the sport of the future? I'm not trying to minimize the dangers of football here.The risk of CTE from playing Football is at or close to the tip-top. I'm assuming boxing and cage fighting have to be right up there as well.

Really? It’s already common knowledge that this sport damages brains, yet you are stil providing your time and money to it? Why wound that stop in the future?
There is growing awareness and I expect the media to increasingly focus on this issue and throw it in our faces moving forward. We’ll see but I think in 5 years it will be represented as “politically incorrect” to be an NFL fan, unless the brain injury issues are explicitly addressed.
I have a slightly different view of this. Yes, it is common knowledge that the sport damages brains, and yes people continue to watch it, and yes there will be continued and growing focus on it, and these aspects will impact the sport negatively as it relates to $$ and viewership. For me, though, what I have seen in the last several years is that through the most recent CBA between the NFL and NFLPA, contact in practice is severely limited in an effort to protect the players health, and the result has been a noticeable decline in the quality of the product. Specifically, what I mean is, football is a violent sport, and to be good at it requires a tremendous amount of repetition and practice. Because of the newer rules limiting the amount of contact in practice, interior play (O Line and Defensive front 7) is atrociously poor from a historic POV. And it is only getting worse. Add to that, that because the QB's are not being protected nearly as well by their offensive line, many other things are being legislated out of the game in an effort to protect the guys that can't be protected by their teammates any longer....and the game is becoming harder and harder to watch because of the poor interior play, and the incessant regulatory imposition on the flow of the game by the refs. Don't read the above as a complaint, but simply an observation.

Add to all of that that participation is dramatically declining at the High School level. Lower participation on a year over year basis (shrinking talent pool), a quality level in play that is declining on the steady, and an oversight by leagues and refs that is making the flow of the sport less and less enjoyable, increasing coverage of all of the negative impacts of the sport on the body/brain.....circle back around to declining participation, etc, etc.....

The sport is in a death spiral, and pretty soon it is not going to be recognizable on any level of play (High School through the NFL) because the quality is going to continue to get worse, and the legislation is going to continue to get worse. I say that in 10 years, the powers that be are going to have a critical situation on their hands because revenue will be on a dramatic decline, and the younger talent pool will be less than compelling.

Last edited:
My son had a friend as a kid who was a top motocross rider and he ended up developing either brain tumors or cancer, one of those.

True statement. Football has just as much of a chance with injuries as any other sport, maybe a little more so. The issue is due to the fact NFL is the most popular sport with the most money. People are going to attack that first.

Maybe? No other sport has people that size flying at each other at full speed. It's a full contact sport played by some gigantic human beings. Certain body parts, particularly ankles, feet and knees, aren't supposed to withstand that kind of pressure.

Just like any sort of physical activity, every sport has injuries, but none has the kind of problem football does where big stars drop like flies week in, week out. Freak injuries happen everywhere, see Gordon Hayward, but not with that kind of regularity like they do particularly in the NFL.

I knew an avid bowler who got brain cancer. Maybe bowling shoes don't have enough cushion and that brain just gets pounded.
Yeah. All anecdotal. But his friend had a lot of crashes and head injuries, lending a little more credence to the relationship. I doubt your bowling friend suffered too many head injuries unless he was really uncoordinated.

Maybe? No other sport has people that size flying at each other at full speed. It's a full contact sport played by some gigantic human beings. Certain body parts, particularly ankles, feet and knees, aren't supposed to withstand that kind of pressure.

Just like any sort of physical activity, every sport has injuries, but none has the kind of problem football does where big stars drop like flies week in, week out. Freak injuries happen everywhere, see Gordon Hayward, but not with that kind of regularity like they do particularly in the NFL.

I've posted this before. In retrospect I'm glad my knees got busted up in HS because I was genetically gifted with the size and quickness to play college ball as a lineman, maybe not a great lineman and not gifted enough to have any shot at the pros but being 6'3" and over 260lbs without working at it along with some quickness (not speed.) would have gotten my college paid for.

In the years since though I have seen virtually everyone I know who did that have serious issues with their health. Almost all of them have bad backs, some to the point that they can't do many of the normal things in life. Some others have had issues that look like CTE issues but not as many and then there are the knee replacements, the bad shoulders, etc.

The human body was simply not designed for one 300lb man to run into another 300lb man over and over again.

With all this though had my knees been okay I would have done it and would have loved it.

Back