What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How fast will college football die?

I’d rather watch baseball and soccer honestly, I just can’t stand basketball. It’s just LeBron running full steam and jumping into people and getting a foul. His flopping is on another level, it’s embarrassing. At least the warriors can shoot but I’m sick of watching them win.
I'm amazed that someone can watch LeBron play and think it's "just him running full steam and jumping into people and getting a foul". I guess if that's all you see then I can understand why you don't enjoy watching it.

fwiw, this is my favorite LeBron play from a finals series where there were so many amazing moments by him. The dude set an impossible standard by leading both teams in every statistical category. (I doubt anyone will ever do that again.)

I'm amazed that someone can watch LeBron play and think it's "just him running full steam and jumping into people and getting a foul". I guess if that's all you see then I can understand why you don't enjoy watching it.

fwiw, this is my favorite LeBron play from a finals series where there were so many amazing moments by him. The dude set an impossible standard by leading both teams in every statistical category. (I doubt anyone will ever do that again.)

I watched that game, that was an amazing play and game, good finals too. I’ll watch here and there and it’s good at times but it just more often than not isn’t enticing to me. But I wasn’t saying that’s all he does, it’s just the majority of the nba anymore. Run at the center, jump and run into him and draw a foul. It gets old because it slows the game down and makes it boring for me. The flopping is too much for me.

NBA is probably at the best it's been since Jordan's heyday with the Bulls. Conferences are ridiculously imbalanced and like with baseball and hockey the regular season is probably a little too long, but you have a bunch of really good teams, intriguing and compelling story lines galore and a glut of budding, young superstars in guys like Embiid, Simmons, Booker, Porzingis, Giannis, Jokic, KAT, Davis ... it's probably the healthiest league in the States right now with the fewest problems.

A Small Vermont Town's Plan To Save Football:

It's a pretty good read, and an interesting set of ideas.

High level numbers: in the state of Vermont in the 06-07 school year, there were 2,000+ high school football players in the state. In the fall of 2018, there were 993.

But one small town has reversed that trend, and they did it by focusing on youth football, and yes, changing some of the rules.

Big ones: games last no more than an hour. No playoffs /championships. And the really, really big one: absolutely no tackling to the ground.

Padded flag football.

Grades 1-3: chase and pull flags
Grade 4: start learning terminology, etc
Grade 5-6: pads, and start playing actual games under the modified rules. No games longer than an hour, score is kept, standings aren't. 18 point mercy rule. Only blocking above the waist, can't block (or tackle) to the ground.
Grades 7-8: start learning proper tackling, but can't fully try it yet. Weight limits on who can handle the ball (it seems odd until you remember "flag football" and no blocking to the ground).
High School: "normal" rules.

They're bucking the trend, and it's an interesting model.

When I clicked on this topic, I thought it was going to be about the impact of paying players endorsement money. That may kill programs that won't have the big time donor bucks to compete in the future faster than the concussion issue.

A Small Vermont Town's Plan To Save Football:

It's a pretty good read, and an interesting set of ideas.

High level numbers: in the state of Vermont in the 06-07 school year, there were 2,000+ high school football players in the state. In the fall of 2018, there were 993.

But one small town has reversed that trend, and they did it by focusing on youth football, and yes, changing some of the rules.

Big ones: games last no more than an hour. No playoffs /championships. And the really, really big one: absolutely no tackling to the ground.

Padded flag football.

Grades 1-3: chase and pull flags
Grade 4: start learning terminology, etc
Grade 5-6: pads, and start playing actual games under the modified rules. No games longer than an hour, score is kept, standings aren't. 18 point mercy rule. Only blocking above the waist, can't block (or tackle) to the ground.
Grades 7-8: start learning proper tackling, but can't fully try it yet. Weight limits on who can handle the ball (it seems odd until you remember "flag football" and no blocking to the ground).
High School: "normal" rules.

They're bucking the trend, and it's an interesting model.
Not keeping standings? What's the point in organized sports at all then?

I'm struggling to get past that point...

But, wtf is up with one hour game limits? Have we really become that attention-span limited?

The rest of the points I'm ok with, if they help keep recognizable football going for a few more years.

But, no standings, really?!?!?!?!

Not keeping standings? What's the point in organized sports at all then?

I'm struggling to get past that point...

But, wtf is up with one hour game limits? Have we really become that attention-span limited?

The rest of the points I'm ok with, if they help keep recognizable football going for a few more years.

But, no standings, really?!?!?!?!
What purpose does it serve if there is no championship awarded or tournament? Our junior football leagues doesn't hand out any awards or keep official standings either. If it is that important to you as a parent you can do the leg work to found out who won every game and keep them yourself.

I should add that the purpose of organized sports is not to produce winners and losers at 5th and 6th grade, but to teach the game, sportsmanship, and work ethic. Wins are secondary to improvement and hard work.

What purpose does it serve if there is no championship awarded or tournament? Our junior football leagues doesn't hand out any awards or keep official standings either. If it is that important to you as a parent you can do the leg work to found out who won every game and keep them yourself.

I should add that the purpose of organized sports is not to produce winners and losers at 5th and 6th grade, but to teach the game, sportsmanship, and work ethic. Wins are secondary to improvement and hard work.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I was responding to a post about high school sports.

In response to your question, I have no idea. Without standings it's basically a pickup league. Players still get some exercise and some likely still have fun, but I don't see the point either in organizing such a league.

I should add that the purpose of organized sports is not to produce winners and losers at 5th and 6th grade, but to teach the game, sportsmanship, and work ethic.
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner.

I'd also add that fun should also be a big part of it too.

Kids are getting "burned out" of sports way too young - especially ones who show talent early. Too much competition too early plays a large part of this.

The "one hour" time limit also helps keep life balanced for families - it makes it easier for kids to commit to football.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought I was responding to a post about high school sports.

In response to your question, I have no idea. Without standings it's basically a pickup league. Players still get some exercise and some likely still have fun, but I don't see the point either in organizing such a league.
You are mistaken. Go back and reread the post, especially the part at the end where it says "high school: normal rules", helps to also read the linked article which is about saving YOUTH football. .

I thought the purpose of organized sports was to act as a surrogate for war.

You are mistaken. Go back and reread the post, especially the part at the end where it says "high school: normal rules", helps to also read the linked article which is about saving YOUTH football. .
Ahhh, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Clarification: I think the article is about saving football - period.

If youth football dies, the rest does too.

Don't know if posted in this thread but Dartmouth is doing something different when it comes to football. No tackling your teammates in practice and you tackle robots & use virtual reality.
I've long thought VR should be the ideal training vehicle for quarterbacks. You could get so many "practice reps" against "live" defenses that even backups could be seasoned veterans when it comes to reading defenses.

I've long thought VR should be the ideal training vehicle for quarterbacks. You could get so many "practice reps" against "live" defenses that even backups could be seasoned veterans when it comes to reading defenses.

I recall something like that being done under Hawkins but that was with older technology. I'm thinking the inevitable return of the NCAA FB videogame series would be a welcome thing too.

I thought the purpose of organized sports was to act as a surrogate for war.
Maybe not all sports, but definitely football.
There's a reason the service academies will never give up football.

General rule to winning on the battlefield is the same as on the football field: apply more force at the point of attack than the other side.

Inside Football’s Campaign to Save the Game

In Texas, the state that gave us $70 million high school stadiums and “Friday Night Lights,” football participation is down 10 percent. Ohio has produced the fourth highest total of N.F.L. players, but participation has dropped 27 percent in the Buckeye State. Eight Ohio high schools were unable to fill squads to play even eight-man football last year.

Back