What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am pumped for the season

Cal AD is trying to support a lot more sports though.

Very true, but they're failing - expect Cal to cut some sports very soon.

The Cal AD also has been getting a "subsidy" from the University averaging $11million per year. Compare that to the huge controversy here when the AD got a one-time $8million loan from CU.

Cal AD is trying to support a lot more sports though.
So to put this in terms of government, more spending justifies a deficit? The fact is that MB is responsibly managing his department while the Stanford AD is not. Compound with the the fact that Stanford receives huge endowments and still can't balance their budget.

Because of state-wide budgetary issues, CU, and in particular the CUAD, has had to be very creative in how it raises money and spends it. Of course, it's easier to just shout "But Bohn can't hire any good coaches!!" and forget the reality of the situation.

Cal is in for some budgetary issues of their own here pretty soon.

I enjoy CFB more than any other sport. I am excited for another season of Buff football, but I have no enthusiasm that the team is going anywhere. I just don't believe Hawk's golly gee whiz we're so close attitude inspires the players to be as good as I believe they can be. If you fail to point out where the team has not gotten it done, it breeds an acceptance of mediocrity and engenders only an anticipation of the rousing game of buffball following the weekend's game, win or lose.

I was planning on saying Hawk stinks therefore, MB stinks at the first SackyGate I make it to this year, but now I'm afraid Sacky will strangle me, which futher dampens my excitement.....

Mike Bohn should be given a lifetime contract. Winning does not matter.

Wow, unbelievable.

Let's fire DiStephano. He's Bohn's boss, who's Hawks boss, and the football team stinks so ergo DiStephano should be held accountable. The fact that the University graduates thousands of well eductaed students every year and professors are winning Nobel prizes is irrelevant - the football team stinks so DiStephano must go!

Benson, your next Chancellor better turn this thing around quickly or your ass is next.

Proven coaches aren't really that good anyway a second time around in most situtations. The best thign to do is hire a coordinator thats been groomed by a proven winner. Bill McCartney and Bob Stoops are prime examples.

Oh btw, in a few years CU will be able to afford a 2 mill guy.

What's funny is that when Stoops was hired, the talking heads in the OU media realm said things like "OU shouldn't 'Stoop' for Stoops." They thought Stoops was a Bill Snyder clone, and didn't want to hop on the KSU train. The coach they REALLY wanted was Jim Donnan from Georgia (who coincidentally was fired from Georgia in 2000). One of the other coaches they were interested in was Gary Barnett - then at Northwestern.

My post was meant to be ridiculous. Just as ridiculous as implying that Bohn bears no responsibility for his coaching hires actually winning.

Bohn should be held accountable insomuch as he is holding his coaches accountable. He needs to fire Hawk and try again. If the next guy doesn't work out, then he needs to fire the next guy and try again. And keep doing that until it works. That's where the responsibility lies. He needs to recognize that the guy he hired sucks, and make the appropriate changes. BUT - like I said, hiring a coach is a crapshoot. There's no guarantee that the next guy will be any better. All we can realistically expect from Bohn is that he listens to the advice he's given and makes an educated, well thought-out decision. What I want out of an athletic director is a desire to win and a willingness to make the changes necessary to accomplish that goal. I've seen that from Mike Bohn.

Okay, I'll start it..FIRE BOHN NOW!!!:) He is responsible for hiring coaches who improve the results in football.

Wow, unbelievable.

Let's fire DiStephano. He's Bohn's boss, who's Hawks boss, and the football team stinks so ergo DiStephano should be held accountable. The fact that the University graduates thousands of well eductaed students every year and professors are winning Nobel prizes is irrelevant - the football team stinks so DiStephano must go!

Benson, your next Chancellor better turn this thing around quickly or your ass is next.

The Chancellor and President have other priorities (as they should). Particularly with state-funding issues, their focus should be elsewhere. You took my clearly sarcastic post and shot into the stratosphere of ridiculousness. Bravo.

Bohn should be held accountable insomuch as he is holding his coaches accountable. He needs to fire Hawk and try again. If the next guy doesn't work out, then he needs to fire the next guy and try again. And keep doing that until it works. That's where the responsibility lies. He needs to recognize that the guy he hired sucks, and make the appropriate changes. BUT - like I said, hiring a coach is a crapshoot. There's no guarantee that the next guy will be any better. All we can realistically expect from Bohn is that he listens to the advice he's given and makes an educated, well thought-out decision. What I want out of an athletic director is a desire to win and a willingness to make the changes necessary to accomplish that goal. I've seen that from Mike Bohn.

How many chances does he get to make the right hire? At some point, if multiple hires are not working out, can't you reasonably assume the guy sucks at making coaching hires and someone else needs to make those decisions? It would be one thing if his hires were mediocre, but they have actually been terrible on the field. Fans and boosters only accept ****ty play for so long. Eventually they will lose faith in Bohn if they think the guy cannot make good hires. Then all the fundraising headway he has made goes out the window. I am not looking to get rid of Bohn, but he also does not get a free pass for his coaching hires.

How many chances does he get to make the right hire? At some point, if multiple hires are not working out, can't you reasonably assume the guy sucks at making coaching hires and someone else needs to make those decisions? It would be one thing if his hires were mediocre, but they have actually been terrible on the field. Fans and boosters only accept ****ty play for so long. Eventually they will lose faith in Bohn if they think the guy cannot make good hires. Then all the fundraising headway he has made goes out the window. I am not looking to get rid of Bohn, but he also does not get a free pass for his coaching hires.

So long as he's continuing to do the other things right, and he is always willing to admit that whoever he hired isn't getting the job done, I'll continue to support him. Let's not confuse his job with that of head coach. I'll say it one more time - hiring a coach is a crapshoot. At the time Hawk was hired, it seemed like a really good hire. We all thought we had finally hit the nail on the head. We were ALL wrong, not just Bohn. Not just Neinas - all of us. So it would be disingenuous for us to throw Bohn under the bus for believing something we all believed too.

Now, if Bohn goes off and does something truly stupid, like hiring Dave Logan, then I think we have a legitimate argument that he's lost his mind. But he's not going to do that. It's his job to run the athletic department. I don't think there's anybody who can honestly look at the job he's done and say he's done a poor job in that regard. His hires have been miserable, but that's just a tiny portion of his responsibilities. How often is he faced with the task of hiring a football coach? I'd say his priorities need to be elsewhere, and thank goodness, they are.

The Chancellor and President have other priorities (as they should). Particularly with state-funding issues, their focus should be elsewhere. You took my clearly sarcastic post and shot into the stratosphere of ridiculousness. Bravo.

Well lets see how many coaches did OU go through before they found Stoops? Once again, hiring coaches is a) not the AD's main job and b) not JUST the AD's job. Hawkins was actually a great hire at the time. Just about any school in the country would have gambled on Hawkins with his success at Boise.

Mike Bohn has done wonders for this university, anybody that thinks he should be fired right now needs their heads checked.

It was upsetting that Bohn/DiStiffano/Benson failed to fire Hawkins after the Nebraska game. I think now, though, that they'll be in better shape to make a good hire after this season than after last. So maybe those guys knew what they were doing?

All I'm saying is the goodwill that he has built up and the good job he done repairing the AD image has a shelf life. Eventually, people are going to expect him to find coaches that can win. Even Bohn himself knows this.

All I'm saying is the goodwill that he has built up and the good job he done repairing the AD image has a shelf life. Eventually, people are going to expect him to find coaches that can win. Even Bohn himself knows this.

Clough had him on after a golf tournament they played together in a week or two ago, and he acknowledged that the football team had to win '8 or 9' games for the season to be acceptable.

I agree, and I think Bohn is smart enough to know that the performance of the football team has been unacceptable, and he certainly bears some responsibility as Hawk's boss.

I just wanted to defend the job Bohn has done here to the folks who think his job security should be directly tied to the W/L record of the football team which is unfair IMO.

I agree, and I think Bohn is smart enough to know that the performance of the football team has been unacceptable, and he certainly bears some responsibility as Hawk's boss.

I just wanted to defend the job Bohn has done here to the folks who think his job security should be directly tied to the W/L record of the football team which is unfair IMO.
It isn't about being fair but I agree with the rest of it. Having a coach that has one foot out the door isnt a good image to have if u hired him.

90% of what Bohn has done so far has been admirable. Yes when he hired talkins most everyone thought that was a slam dunk. And based on talkins previous record and the way he could talk his way even through the toughest interview I would really like to know, what the process was to hire him? And is the same process in place today to hire talkins replacement? It would be a tough pill for me to swallow if Bohn was the only person to decide.

Clough had him on after a golf tournament they played together in a week or two ago, and he acknowledged that the football team had to win '8 or 9' games for the season to be acceptable.

Really? 8 or 9? If we can hold him to that, that's perfect.

Ditka
swerski.jpg

I agree with you - he is, and should be, always "on the clock". I also agree whole-heartedly with Sacky that you can't tie the Hawkins hire around his neck and throw him off the dock.

Let's face it, the KMM hire was a disaster from the beginning (but since not too many people get all riled up about women's hoops, that one becomes inconsequential). I'm hopeful that Linda Lappe will work out much better. She already has received more good press than KMM did in five years. We'll obviously know in a couple of years. I think you have to give him credit for the Bzdelik hire. While the W-L numbers weren't so hot, Bzz obviously upgraded the talent level from the Patton years, and maybe as important, upgraded the public perception of CU basketball - both in the media, and through increased attendance. I thank him for his efforts in Boulder, and wish him well at Wake Forest. Again, I like the Boyle hire, but we'll know more in a couple of years. Lastly, the Hawkins hire was lauded by most (including the media and a lot of the fans on this board) as a "home run". It hasn't turned out as such, but it's hard - in my mind - to blame Bohn for the HIRE. Where I think the detractors might have a point is that Hawk was not fired after last season. Was that Benson's decision rather than Bohn's ?? I don't have that knowledge.

In summary, I think Mike Bohn has done a commendable overall job. Not perfect, but none of us are.

Last edited:
I think Bohn has done a very good job as AD in the gain support and get the product out there department, but his coaching hires have been awful everywhere he has been. I'm okay with letting him give it another go with the football coach, but it's his last one imo. Let's not forget that Hawk is still here because Bohn jumped the gun and gave him an extension way too early and we're stuck with Hawk for a 5th year that he shouldn't have. I won't argue that I thought Hawk was going to be a good hire, but I won't support the notion that because most fans thought we were on the up and up after a 6-7 season that Bohn should get a free pass for the extension.

Back