What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I really hate the Denver sports media

Let's be honest, CO has the worst P5 factory of all the other Pac 12 schools. There is between 5-8 guys that are schollie P5 players. The Buffs offered that Mullen trio and pulled their offers when they were waiting it out. CU has consistently been on guys under MacIntyre.

And honestly, other than a couple kids, I'm not seeing the guys that have just taken the P5 by storm out of CO.

McChesney's job is to promote his kids. So guys like Lynch are NFL caliber QBs out of HS to him.
Logan's job is to do the same, sell his kids and I know when I coached even with the sports knowledge I had, I felt MY GUYS and guys I knew were better than what their counterparts were both locally and nationally.

Popisil is not a WR recruit we should take a look at with how we have recruited there and I'm sure the 2-4 guys Chev will get to commit that are more P5 level.

It's tiresome to hear the negativity because it puts a negative light on CU. Like CU doesn't care about CO. No, CU cares but they are in the business of winning games, not making people feel good because we recruited some kid locally other P5s had no interest in.

If CU was so upset about the media coverage they get, why don't they have a meaningful media presence? Why don't they have media people that can call into these shows and set them straight? Or talk to Logan and others to help them understand and promote. Why doesn't CU communicate with local media outlets to give exclusives and build goodwill? While this is a Broncos town first, no doubt, CU has been absolutely awful at promoting its products.

CU needs to promote itself. It needs to get out there and build the fan base. For more than a decade CU has been actively destroying the fan base (by not promoting, having an awful product and its bunker mentality). Just like the PAC network needs to restructure, when it can, to focus more on growth and distribution, CU needs to do the same. There are so many transplants to Colorado now with other allegiances. CU can no longer rely on the fact that CU is only game in town on the college level. CU is competing with schools all over the country now. CU needs to invest heavily in its media presence or we will continue to get more of the same (a dwindling, old fan base).

If CU was so upset about the media coverage they get, why don't they have a meaningful media presence? Why don't they have media people that can call into these shows and set them straight? Or talk to Logan and others to help them understand and promote. Why doesn't they communicate with local media outlets to give exclusives and build goodwill? While this is a Broncos town first, no doubt, CU has been absolutely awful at promoting its products.

CU needs to promote itself. It needs to get out there and build the fan base. For more than a decade CU has been actively destroying the fan base (by not promoting, having an awful product and its bunker mentality). Just like the PAC network needs to restructure, when it can, to focus more on growth and distribution, CU needs to do the same. There are so many transplants to Colorado now with other allegiances. CU can no longer rely on the fact that CU is only game in town on the college level. CU is competing with schools all over the country now. CU needs to invest heavily in its media presence or we will continue to get more of the same (a dwindling, old fan base).

We have a winner.

Nowhere where it needs to be. Little things like every place in the state that has a bar should be sent a CU football wall schedule every year. Plenty of opportunities like that which don't take much budget.

But they are doing things like investing in billboards, sponsoring the light rail from DIA, etc. The Pearl Street Stampede keeps growing. MacIntyre has re-connected with the state's HS coaches and the CU clinic for these coaches seems to be growing. Need to do more with growing the football camp at CU, even making it regional so that kids from WY, NM and the western parts of OK, NE and KS come to get exposure and coaching. The walk-on program has improved a lot (starting pre-MacIntyre) and that's been a great way to get more CO plaers into the program. Last, we've seen a significant uptick in scheduling local programs in all sports in order to better connect with the state.

Lots of work to do, but it's better than I can ever remember it being. I think it will take off if CU can string together a few bowl seasons.

Nowhere where it needs to be. Little things like every place in the state that has a bar should be sent a CU football wall schedule every year. Plenty of opportunities like that which don't take much budget.

But they are doing things like investing in billboards, sponsoring the light rail from DIA, etc. The Pearl Street Stampede keeps growing. MacIntyre has re-connected with the state's HS coaches and the CU clinic for these coaches seems to be growing. Need to do more with growing the football camp at CU, even making it regional so that kids from WY, NM and the western parts of OK, NE and KS come to get exposure and coaching. The walk-on program has improved a lot (starting pre-MacIntyre) and that's been a great way to get more CO plaers into the program. Last, we've seen a significant uptick in scheduling local programs in all sports in order to better connect with the state.

Lots of work to do, but it's better than I can ever remember it being. I think it will take off if CU can string together a few bowl seasons.

But in terms of actually promoting the program through the media, CU has basically decided to do that in-house. That's a problem.

But in terms of actually promoting the program through the media, CU has basically decided to do that mostly in-house. That's a problem.
Agreed. I haven't been shy about the fact that I don't like how everything is driven through Woelk and Johnson these days.

Two things I'd be doing with the budget if there was room:

1. Sponsoring a radio show to talk Buffs and college football. These radio stations have trouble making money, so take away a lot of the overhead and one of them will be very willing to give an hour to CFB/Buffs. Makes even more sense now with the Sirius deal because the show could also be ported there.

2. Being much more engaged with all the local sports media via direct advertising. This is the world in which we live. Always step up as a sponsor when a local tv affiliate or newspaper is doing a fundraiser. (This can extend to community events all over the state in cities and towns by stepping up with sponsorship & participation.) Beyond that, run a full page ad in the DP at least every Saturday (maybe every day, at least for the online edition). Similarly, run advertising on Altitude during their live sporting events and during local news. Doesn't have to be just sports, but sports should always be part of it. With today's media, if you're paying their bills they will treat you well.

P.S. For recruiting students and student athletes, I'd also buy a billboard in every single major metro west of the Mississippi to promote the University of Colorado.

But in terms of actually promoting the program through the media, CU has basically decided to do that in-house. That's a problem.
I don't know anything about the newspaper business except their on life support. CU has professional writers on staff putting out stories that we die hard fans read but the casual fans never see. Newspapers can't afford reporters to cover our team.
Is there any reason CU couldn't give the same articles they post on the CU site to local newspapers for free. Papers would have more content, CU would get more exposure. What in the newspaper business model or CU model that would prevent something like this?

I don't know anything about the newspaper business except their on life support. CU has professional writers on staff putting out stories that we die hard fans read but the casual fans never see. Newspapers can't afford reporters to cover our team.
Is there any reason CU couldn't give the same articles they post on the CU site to local newspapers for free. Papers would have more content, CU would get more exposure. What in the newspaper business model or CU model that would prevent something like this?
Matt Stephens, Deputy Sports Editor for the Denver Post

If CU was so upset about the media coverage they get, why don't they have a meaningful media presence? Why don't they have media people that can call into these shows and set them straight? Or talk to Logan and others to help them understand and promote. Why doesn't CU communicate with local media outlets to give exclusives and build goodwill? While this is a Broncos town first, no doubt, CU has been absolutely awful at promoting its products.

Thank you - bullseye! It's time for new, young blood in CUAD's sports info department. Get innovative, new ideas and ways to get the word out - many good ideas in this thread. Because, doesn't look like we'll have the Post (and their Kissla and CSU hacks) to kick around much longer.

Also, there's so much more CU can do with digital media. SEM stuff, programmatic, FB/YT/Insta/Twitter. Remarketing through cookies on folks who visit cubuffs (particularly the ticket buying area). I'd think even a small budget in this area $100-$200k would pay for itself in ticket sales, donations, camp enrollment and apparel sales while also doing a ton of brand building.

Thank you for everything you wrote, and you saved me so much typing! Plati is out of touch, and the need to have a dynamic promotional team and voice is important. I like that we have Mark Johnson, but he, Plati, and the rest of the media department need an overhaul and a plan to promote us. I would hire or consult with Jeremy Bloom on how to do it!

Denver has a sports media?!? Where?? The denverpost has always been trash. My family has had broncos season tickets since 1960 and I’ve had them since 2010 on my own. My family and I are HUGE broncos fan, I live and breathe the broncos, Rockies and avalanche. 104.3 makes me want to hate the ****ing broncos, it’s too much, I can’t turn the station on anymore.

Purplerow, milehighhockey and milehighreport are the only way for me to get news anymore. I’d kill for a legit college football show.

Also, there's so much more CU can do with digital media. SEM stuff, programmatic, FB/YT/Insta/Twitter. Remarketing through cookies on folks who visit cubuffs (particularly the ticket buying area). I'd think even a small budget in this area $100-$200k would pay for itself in ticket sales, donations, camp enrollment and apparel sales while also doing a ton of brand building.
They are doing this....

An off hand remark by Logan...I'll give him a pass. Lewis? I guess the next time I give a **** about his opinion will be the first time. Let's face it, both of them know where the bread is buttered...polishing the knob of the Donkey.

I don’t disagree but it doesn’t matter. 104.3 would rather dissect the broncos roster during the off-season with no news rambling for the 176th time about the differences between Trevor siemian and Paxton Lynch. They legitimately talk about the same topic day after day after day only interrupted by the ramblings of Adam schefter and when he has no news they just ask his opinion on whatever it is they’re talking about. Of course if they aren’t talking about any of that it’s just big al and D-bag talking about their children and their personal lives.

I don’t even know why the station exists, it’s so unenjoyable.

Uhhhh there also aren't any players from CU playing in the Senior Bowl. Gallup is the only local kid and they talked about him a ton.

I heard dbag on Stokely's show talking about Gallup. Whining that Gallup "quit on a play" because he didn't jump up and try to chase a guy down on a pick. In an all-star game practice. Something like that.

Last edited:
I heard dbag on Stokely's show talking about Gallup. Whining that Gallup "quit on a play" because he didn't jump up and try to chase a guy down on a pick. Something like that.
Even Vance Joseph said Gallup "started pretty slow" yesterday, but went on to say they talked to him and he was again one of the best playmakers out there.

I don't believe in marketing outside of making someone aware of a product or service they were ignorant of. Waste of time otherwise in my opinion.

The Denver sports media is awful and I don't pay attention.

However, I do have a solution for both of the above situations. Win.

In Plati, I trust. Take us to the promised land!
It does make me wonder how things might be different with a different SID. Love him or hate him, Plati has been here for 30+ years. There is a certain level of inertia that settles in to any job, and after 30+ years, I suspect there’s a lot of “we never have done it that way” mentality in the SID office.
How old is Plati, anyway? Is it time for him to think about retirement?

No amount of marketing is going to get people to watch a ****ty team. No amount of marketing is going to get me to buy a ****ty product.
chicken-or-egg-400x301.jpg

No amount of marketing is going to get people to watch a ****ty team. No amount of marketing is going to get me to buy a ****ty product.
That's not at all what you originally said, but please, tell us more about your extensive marketing experience and how it's a waste of time.

It does make me wonder how things might be different with a different SID. Love him or hate him, Plati has been here for 30+ years. There is a certain level of inertia that settles in to any job, and after 30+ years, I suspect there’s a lot of “we never have done it that way” mentality in the SID office.
How old is Plati, anyway? Is it time for him to think about retirement?
you can't run a "business" on nostalgia and tradition only.

Back