What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I used to love the Coors Event Center

The CEC needs a couple of these:

[video=youtube;keI59KRVco8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keI59KRVco8[/video]

One thing they might really consider putting toward the top of the list is getting some LIGHTS around the CEC on game night. It's hard to know when a game is on, for students who might drop in. It's hard for people to SEE as they're walking up to the place, and there's just no excitement. Shine big lights on the place 2 hours before game time - men, women, and volleyball, of course - and make it very visible from 36. Hell, add an always-on billboard for commuters to see who's coming to town. Otherwise the outside is fine with me. (Except that they suck at selling cash tickets, but that's logistics, nothing to do with a facelift.)

On the inside, the top 2 items on my list would be much better scoreboards and seat-backs. I can't think of anything else it needs badly, other than the practice facilities. Maybe better accommodations for cameras & media?

I wonder if that is part of the plan when they do the practice facility. The more I look at the CEC, the more I think they need to tear the building part down and building a nicer and bigger structure that matches architecturally with the rest of campus. Some nice flagstone building with huge glass windows and a red tile room. Hell they can build it around the existing CEC and then tear the roof and walls down.

I wonder if that is part of the plan when they do the practice facility. The more I look at the CEC, the more I think they need to tear the building part down and building a nicer and bigger structure that matches architecturally with the rest of campus. Some nice flagstone building with huge glass windows and a red tile room. Hell they can build it around the existing CEC and then tear the roof and walls down.

Yes to flagstone and yes to big ole windows

According to the pics at the recruiting luncheon, it looks like the entire front entrance to the CEC is going to be new - more windows, ticket windows outside, etc. That still doesn't help the other entrances though. I often come from the Darkhorse before the games & agree that its ridiculous how dark & uninviting the CEC looks from the south/east.

According to the pics at the recruiting luncheon, it looks like the entire front entrance to the CEC is going to be new - more windows, ticket windows outside, etc. That still doesn't help the other entrances though. I often come from the Darkhorse before the games & agree that its ridiculous how dark & uninviting the CEC looks from the south/east.

Yeah me too - I park over on that side and often have a beer either at the Horse or at the Outlook. Even though it's a really simple walk and easy in/out parking, on cold icy nights it can be a little treacherous climbing that hill. More lights on the south side.

Pretty interesting to read the plans about the front ticket area. I'm really glad to hear that, because it's silly how it was set up in the first place. Inviting front area that funnels you into 6 or 8 ticket windows that are 20 feet apart. Silly. After all these years going to the same place, that's something to get excited about.

Now if we can find a couple big men with bad attitudes and borderline criminal behavior on the court ...

In that photo of the CEC... it almost looks like the mountains were photoshopped in, doesn't it??

yeah, pretty funky looking picture. here is a rendering of the new practice facility.
Elevation.JPG

This is probably going to piss people off, but I think a big reason for the lack of exterior lights is Boulder law. We've got "lighting pollution" regulations that restrict the sale of certain types of exterior lights within city limits and you're not allowed to put them on your home or business. Maybe the university could get an exception, but I believe this would be the big hurdle to making that happen.

This is probably going to piss people off, but I think a big reason for the lack of exterior lights is Boulder law. We've got "lighting pollution" regulations that restrict the sale of certain types of exterior lights within city limits and you're not allowed to put them on your home or business. Maybe the university could get an exception, but I believe this would be the big hurdle to making that happen.

seriously? they couldn't be any worse than the monstrosities they put up on the west side of folsom this past fall.

seriously? they couldn't be any worse than the monstrosities they put up on the west side of folsom this past fall.

Also please look at 1) Willvillle (4 story limit? AHAHAHA) and 2) the artificial turf fields RIGHT BY the CEC. Nope, this is on the school.

It may not apply just like the building height restrictions don't totally apply since it's state property. But the west side lights were the source of a lot of editorial complaints in the BDC. And the new building on campus did waste over a million bucks iirc for a plan revision to reach a compromise on Boulder building height restrictions.

CU may have the option to forget about being a good neighbor and do whatever the hell it wants, but I know for certain that Boulder residents would go nuts if there were carnival-like spotlights shooting into the sky for every CECC event.

It may not apply just like the building height restrictions don't totally apply since it's state property. But the west side lights were the source of a lot of editorial complaints in the BDC. And the new building on campus did waste over a million bucks iirc for a plan revision to reach a compromise on Boulder building height restrictions.

CU may have the option to forget about being a good neighbor and do whatever the hell it wants, but I know for certain that Boulder residents would go nuts if there were carnival-like spotlights shooting into the sky for every CECC event.

the height restrictions are so everyone's access to the mountain/flatiron views are unimpeded. the new stadium lights hardly do that. boulder people are wimps. they organized and campaigned against the austin based whole foods to protect local alfalfas and wild oats. 6 months later all the boulderites were overpaying to shop at whole foods.

boulder people are wimps. they organized and campaigned against the austin based whole foods to protect local alfalfas and wild oats. 6 months later all the boulderites were overpaying to shop at whole foods.

FYI: Whole Foods is going to sell at least its Arapahoe/Broadway and Baseline (formerly Alfalfa's but empty) locations to locals because they're not doing that well. The old Alfalfa's space is probably going to be taken over by Lucky's Market. Unsure on the Arapahoe, but I believe it's going to be a new independent by one of the Wild Oats founders.

FYI: Whole Foods is going to sell at least its Arapahoe/Broadway and Baseline (formerly Alfalfa's but empty) locations to locals because they're not doing that well. The old Alfalfa's space is probably going to be taken over by Lucky's Market. Unsure on the Arapahoe, but I believe it's going to be a new independent by one of the Wild Oats founders.

huh. that's interesting. Lucky's is a California chain, no? that baseline location was never an alf's but was wild oats/crystal market.

huh. that's interesting. Lucky's is a California chain, no? that baseline location was never an alf's but was wild oats/crystal market.

I think you're right on the Baseline. Bear with me. Heavily medicated with a cold right now. :lol:

I didn't know that Luck's was a CA chain. The article I read in the BDC said local ownership by Lucky's. Probably a local entrepreneur who has Lucky's franchise rights? Or I mis-remembered (which may be more likely).

The other one I'm curious about is Ideal Marketplace. For all intents and purposes, it's a Whole Foods. But it's too small of a footprint to ever be a big performer in the Whole Foods chain. Anyond know whether WF owns Ideal or if it's just a strategic alliance with Ideal carrying WF brands?

I think you're right on the Baseline. Bear with me. Heavily medicated with a cold right now. :lol:

I didn't know that Luck's was a CA chain. The article I read in the BDC said local ownership by Lucky's. Probably a local entrepreneur who has Lucky's franchise rights? Or I mis-remembered (which may be more likely).

The other one I'm curious about is Ideal Marketplace. For all intents and purposes, it's a Whole Foods. But it's too small of a footprint to ever be a big performer in the Whole Foods chain. Anyond know whether WF owns Ideal or if it's just a strategic alliance with Ideal carrying WF brands?

i don't know the answer to that, but Ideal was at that N. Broadway location long before WF was in town. i just remember buying Carta Blanca 32 oz. at a Lucky's in Newport Beach one summer and getting carne asada tacos across the street. for a few days while a buddy was dumping his gf so we could go to Mexico and do drugs and drink before he moved to Algiers. bad news for her. but, she lived about 200 yards from the beach and the tacos were good.

Back