What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Interesting national champion facts

Your logic makes no sense when Osborne knew that CU had a chance at a title, but GT could possibly keep CU from winning one. Osborne hated CU, Osborne was a devil that hid guns to keep his kids out of the negative headlines, I could esily see that scum bag letting GT win to try and keep CU from winning it.

You sound kind of jealous of TO's success. You had Slick Rick and Barnett remember?

Hey Clete Blakeman or whatever the **** his name was. Try to be nice and you have to try and downgrade our title. You wouldnt have even had Frazier had CU not changed their offense. Dont be a prick over here, do that **** at your board.

Sorry?:lol: No need to be. It was a horrible loss for UW, but it was not a good UW team. We were at the start of our downward spiral into oblivion by that point... That Miami team was definitely loaded with NFL talent.

Anyway, cool thread with some interesiting MNC factoids. I'd still put my '90-'91 'Dawgs against anybody though. They had the most dominating defense I've ever seen in CFB.:nod:

Steve Emtman right?

Hey Clete Blakeman or whatever the **** his name was. Try to be nice and you have to try and downgrade our title. You wouldnt have even had Frazier had CU not changed their offense. Dont be a prick over here, do that **** at your board.

This is true. Frazier was CU's to lose, and they lost him because of a change of offense. Corn fan should go to a Ohio state board and tell them about their national titles and how they have the greatest fans on the planet.

-Whats up with the 40's? Did they not play bowl games? Not a single national champion went to a bowl in that decade. Something to do with WWII?

WWII is exactly what happened. That an the east coast bias(which is still around, lol) UGA went undefeated in 1946, but the polls closed and voted OSU MNC, even though UGA hadn't played their bowl game yet(Rose, where they beat UCLA)

-9 teams have won a national title after losing their bowl game. '35 SMU, '50 Oklahoma, '51 Tennessee, '53 Maryland, '60 Minnesota, '64 Alabama, '65 Michigan st, '70 Texas, '73 Alabama.

-Only two teams have won the national title with 2 losses. '60 Minnesota and '07 LSU.

-3 teams have won the national title with a loss and a tie. '65 Alabama, '74 USC and '90 Colorado.

-In modern time 2 teams have won the title with 14 wins. '02 Ohio st and '09 Alabama

-'84 BYU was the last team not currently in a BCS conference other than Notre Dame that won a national title. Before that it was Army in 1945.

-There have been 18 "split" national titles.
1925: Alabama/Dartmouth
1926: Alabama/Stanford
1928: USC/Georgia Tech
1932: USC/Michigan
1935: SMU/Minnesota
1938: TCU/Notre Dame
1939: USC/Texas A&M
1954: Ohio state/UCLA
1957: Auburn/Ohio state
1965: Alabama/Michigan state
1970: Nebraska/Texas
1973: Alabama/Notre Dame
1974: Oklahoma/USC
1978: Alabama/USC
1990: Colorado/Georgia Tech
1991: Miami, Fla/Washington
1997: Michigan/Nebraska
2003: LSU/USC

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/champions_national.html

This is true. Frazier was CU's to lose, and they lost him because of a change of offense. Corn fan should go to a Ohio state board and tell them about their national titles and how they have the greatest fans on the planet.

Is it NU's fault CU decided to change offense and decide to go after guys like Ty Detmer? It goes both ways NU lost some highly touted recruits over the years.

ONE year out of five NCs? That is reaching dude. I am sure no national champ is worthy in your mind since they did not play CU's vaunted schedule of '90. Good thing NU did not have a decent team in '90 huh!

Nebraska also played Alaska A&M in their 1995 title run

Is it NU's fault CU decided to change offense and decide to go after guys like Ty Detmer? It goes both ways NU lost some highly touted recruits over the years.

No your right it isnt Nebraska's fault but its your fault you are being a cocksucker.

I just can't let go of the fact that someone knowing much about Nub football wouold contend that GT played the same team that Colorado did...

I have mentioned multiple times that I know there were many suspensions and injuries that made the Nubs a completely different team, thus, making any claims that Tom was not anti-CU in his voting laughable. He himself knows the psyche of his team and the players not playing - I know he may be an idiot, but even I can't go so far as to say that he is that dumb.

For example, the Nubs were playing with a backup QB - that would not make any difference now would it (btw...that was a really s***ty OU team by any historical standard and they beat NU by more than GT):

Joseph's team finished 9-2 for the regular season, but the regular season finale on Nov. 23, 1990 proved to be costly as the dual threat quarterback suffered a season ending injury by breaking his leg early in the first quarter of the game with the Oklahoma Sooners in Norman, Oklahoma. Without Joseph, this Nebraska team would never be the same as Oklahoma won, 45-10, and the Huskers would go on to struggle in post season play. (Wikipedia - Mickey Joseph)

Fair points but we will never really know if Nebraska 'laid down' for Georgia Tech. That is merely your opinion. It could also be that Georgia Tech was simply better than CU.
How old are you? Do you know who Mike Grant is? Because that's the name of the QB who started the game for Nebraska (Mickey Joseph suspended). Do you know who Tom Haase is? That's the name of the Husker QB who came in for an ineffective Grant. Osborne suspended about half the team for that bowl game. The Huskers weren't "up" for anything vs. GA Tech.

Thats right, OU put a thumping on NU worse than GT or CU did. And CU beat OU, hmmmmmmm. Nice logic fusker! I take it you're the type of husker fan that has never even been to a game in Lincoln. I bet I have seen more husker games live than this dip****.

Was it Kansas beating Minny?

C'mon, the Big 8 was NU and CU... then everybody else (remember, OU was down in the mid-90s). K-State was still very suspect at the time, so they get discounted.

Meanwhile, the final rankings had 4 Big Ten schools ranked in the Top 16, and 5 in the Top 25.

He also said the Big Ten was better than the Big 8 in '94 which can be disputed by the 4-2 record the Big 8 had over the Big Ten that year.

I never said Michigan did not deserve the title for going undefeated. They deserved it and they got a share. Same as NU. Michigan squeaked by #11 Washington State (Ryan Leaf) while NU dismantled #3 Tennessee (Peyton Manning) 42-17 in their respective bowl games.

Last edited:
No more so than CU was when we played them. The facts are that Georgia Tech beat us by 9 more points than CU, which is a lot in my opinion.

We will never know who was up for the game more, but we do know who beat NU worse than the other.

CU also held you to 9 less points, yet that is forgotten every time you make your arguments

Back