What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is Colorado not a good rushing team?

Would love to have @FlaBuff and/or @Wyo Buff chime in here but my view is that we don't yet have the developed athletes on the OL.

In pass blocking you can get by more on technique and coordination. Effective run blocking requires these as well but good running teams also have guys who win one on one battles with the guys they are expected to block.

When we were playing CSU and OSU we had as good or better athletes on the OL than the opponents had on their front sevens defensively. Against SC and Michigan they were stacked with 4* and 5* guys many of whom are 1-2 years from being in NFL camps. We simply haven't been winning the one on one battles with those defenders. Our linemen get to the right place and hit the right guy but he either doesn't get moved or defeats the block and the hole isn't there.

The good news is that it looks like we have some better athletes coming up. Lynott as he develops physically could be dominating, the young tackles are better athletes than we have had for the most part (excepting Nembott , who did have technique issues) Some of the guys we are recuiting now look like significant steps up.

Recruiting is huge with this problem. Unfortunately, it's not just one position group. We've gotta find a back, I like the guy coming in, a dude that can get yards when there isn't much there. A bigger back so to speak. Oline, y'all know all about that so no need to mention it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Julmisse get some touches at RB just to add another dimension to the rushing game. He played the position in high school, and if he's only playing on KO returns (most of which go for touchbacks), then his talent is underutilized. He'll be great in the secondary next year, but he won't get much playing time with Awuzie and Witherspoon getting most of the action for now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Julmisse get some touches at RB just to add another dimension to the rushing game. He played the position in high school, and if he's only playing on KO returns (most of which go for touchbacks), then his talent is underutilized. He'll be great in the secondary next year, but he won't get much playing time with Awuzie and Witherspoon getting most of the action for now.
i don't know, the dude is lightning fast, but he looks like he's about a buck fifty dripping wet...I am not sure I want to see him running into the teeth of a P12 D.

i don't know, the dude is lightning fast, but he looks like he's about a buck fifty dripping wet...I am not sure I want to see him running into the teeth of a P12 D.

Agreed, wouldn't want him as an every-down back going up the middle - just for situations where he can get to the edge. I think they did use him for a screen pass against USC, and he got some nice yardage out of the play.

Agreed, wouldn't want him as an every-down back going up the middle - just for situations where he can get to the edge. I think they did use him for a screen pass against USC, and he got some nice yardage out of the play.

I think we need him as a starting CB next season. My preference is to avoid putting too much on him right now because I fear it will slow his development where the team desperately needs him in 2017.

I think we need him as a starting CB next season. My preference is to avoid putting too much on him right now because I fear it will slow his development where the team desperately needs him in 2017.

Agree 100%

We want wins now, winning is important.

M2 though looks to be very focused on not just winning now but building a winner that will continue. Sometimes you have to defer satisfaction for the long-term goal.

Our OL and running game has been hell for 4 of our 6 opponents, with 2 of them being of the P5 variety. CU is a middle-of-the-road running team that will thrive against other mediocre P5 teams. They aren't good enough to compete with the top end P5 programs, let's dispose of the narrative that we can only run on G5 and FCS teams.

I do agree that CU needs a talent upgrade on the OL, going forward. Gray shirting and then Red Shirting project OL and waiting for them to physically mature isn't the worst strategy in the world, and it's paying off better this year than most would have thought, but at some point we are going to need more talented and naturally gifted athletes to compete with the top P5 programs.
They need another year of Drew Wilson at the helm of S&C! There is simply no substitute for Olympic lifting for building strength. Most of the older OL guys were on Forman's Mad Scientist "Five year program", that was ultimately rejected. So when Wilson came in, huge strides are evident after less than one year. Another will yield similar gains to all these kids. Many still don't quite have that "big butt-shelf" that Asst. AD Lance Carl noted was the sign of a good OL. That takes at least a couple years of serious coaching and hard work on the squat rack, believe me.

I'd say play calling can make a diff. Prob is there are very few OCs who are talented enough to scheme around being out physicalled. No dis on BL...just tough to do...in fact I can't think of an OC off the top of my head who is that good.
NAVY'S ???

They need another year of Drew Wilson at the helm of S&C! There is simply no substitute for Olympic lifting for building strength. Most of the older OL guys were on Forman's Mad Scientist "Five year program", that was ultimately rejected. So when Wilson came in, huge strides are evident after less than one year. Another will yield similar gains to all these kids. Many still don't quite have that "big butt-shelf" that Asst. AD Lance Carl noted was the sign of a good OL. That takes at least a couple years of serious coaching and hard work on the squat rack, believe me.
Dude, what can you squat?

Would love to have @FlaBuff and/or @Wyo Buff chime in here but my view is that we don't yet have the developed athletes on the OL.

In pass blocking you can get by more on technique and coordination. Effective run blocking requires these as well but good running teams also have guys who win one on one battles with the guys they are expected to block.

When we were playing CSU and OSU we had as good or better athletes on the OL than the opponents had on their front sevens defensively. Against SC and Michigan they were stacked with 4* and 5* guys many of whom are 1-2 years from being in NFL camps. We simply haven't been winning the one on one battles with those defenders. Our linemen get to the right place and hit the right guy but he either doesn't get moved or defeats the block and the hole isn't there.

The good news is that it looks like we have some better athletes coming up. Lynott as he develops physically could be dominating, the young tackles are better athletes than we have had for the most part (excepting Nembott , who did have technique issues) Some of the guys we are recuiting now look like significant steps up.
I'm biased but I don't think any recruiting service knows how to evaluate OL talent. Sure, you have your Orlando Browns or Tim Lynott's who are already men but most of time you have 16-17 year old boys who look like they can grow into ass-kickers. Think about Nate Solder versus that big kid (manchild) from Columbine and then think about the upside. To me, there are guys or coaches who just know what they are looking for and then find them and develop them. Think about the pipeline Nebraska had. They almost never had anyone starting on the OL in their first or second year. Here's the deal for the OL. You've got to have an OL Coach who lives and breaths the little things technique-wise and then can teach it to young men and who can also find and encourage that intangible intelligent nastiness needed. Then you have to have a great Weight Coach who can build beasts. I think we've got that at CU. From what I understand, this new weight coach is the real deal and I also think Adams is the right kind of OL developer. The difference this year is in the physicality and relentlessness of the OL as well as a bit of nastiness coming in. The great thing is, it's only the beginning. The weight coach and Adams have only had these guys for 6-7 months and they are already being transformed. My thoughts? Don't worry about the stars, find nasty, hard working athletes who live in the weight room and do life together as a line. That's when you start something special. I think our OL is only going to get better from here.

Dude, what can you squat?
Me? Geezer/late starter that I am, I peaked at 3X5 at 210 before I had to knock off for med reasons (no, not knees or back).
I've read reports of more than a few HS's in TX where more than half the FB team squats over 400 lbs.

I think we should be prepared for CU to drop at least 2 more. Between ASU, Stanford, UCLA and Utah, I see at least 2 losses from those 4. Luckily 3 of them are at home. Need to get back on track this weekend against ASU.
Stanford is 50/50 but I see the rest as 'should win's. I see WSU being the toughest game until we (hopefully) play Udub for the CCG. Ideally they stay undefeated in a close game and CU goes to the Rose Bowl.

Yeah, I've been hoarding Kool-Aide.

Back