What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Is the massive turnover we're seeing ok? Or why Reddit CFB fans are clueless

Everyone use "1-11" to describe the team last year.

No, it's not accurate. Everyone should use "one of the worst team in the CFB history" to describe last year's team. It's historically bad. There are plenty of G5 teams that can name their scores if they play us. 0-12 UW team would easily beat us. Hell, even JE's 2012 team would beat us.

I understand the stupid reaction from other fan base, they didn't endure the pain we endure, they didn't have to watch the team we watch every Saturday. But for any long time Colorado fans, this should be music to your ear. Only this scale of change could save us. There is no other way.

Biggest concern I'd have off the field is locker room dynamics. That's a whole bunch of kids who don't know each other with no previous connection and no structure in place.
After the purge is complete, they've got a lot of work to do to get these guys feeling like they belong together. It would have been hard to do that in the last 3 months, knowing that there was another couple dozen kids to push out.

Anybody who writes a piece talking about how bad they think this turnover is is showing they haven't watched a CU game in a number of years. Last year's team wasn't just bad-they were unwatchable. Almost all of this roster needs to go. This wasn't P5 talent. These kids were also given the opportunity to stay at CU on scholarship, but they want to play football. I'm sure Ed Lamb would love to have a lot of them in Greeley.

Move on.

Last edited:
I think the concerns about the locker room gelling with so many new players is valid. But I also think the alternative of keeping players that are lacking in talent, buy-in, etc, is worse. There is no choice. This is the best plan
Yes, it’s definitely the move favor talent over camaraderie.

Also, if you perform in practice and games (which you would expect from more talented players) at the very least you’ll earn the respect of your teammates, which I think is a good foundation to being competitive.

If most everybody is in the same boat, e.g. transfers or incoming frosh, the camaraderie will develop just fine in fall camp.

Yes, it’s definitely the move favor talent over camaraderie.

Also, if you perform in practice and games (which you would expect from more talented players) at the very least you’ll earn the respect of your teammates, which I think is a good foundation to being competitive.
I don’t mind the turnover. It’s not the best timing to be down 25-players. I’m more curious how to add 25 new transfers with what’s out there. Note: BIG, NASTY DL PLEASE!!!

I think it is worth noting that this turnover wouldn't have been so bad if all our legitimately good players hadn't transferred out before the prior season. Didn't we lose like 20 players?

Biggest concern I'd have off the field is locker room dynamics. That's a whole bunch of kids who don't know each other with no previous connection and no structure in place.
In recognition that my above post is overly snarky, I do believe this concern deserves a bit more attention.

What do we know about the existing roster:
  • Woefully undertalented
  • Generally lacking in work ethic and drive to be succesful
  • used to losing
What do we know about the projected roster this fall:
  • Will contain a small number of holdovers that will likely be fiercely protective of their roster spot
  • a bunch of additions that:
    • Have NFL measurables
    • Are being brought to CU under the expectations that they will work their ass off, win, and be develped to be the best football player they can be in order to get a shot at the NFL
    • Probably represent a substantial increase in talent
I believe that a locker room's culture is built primarily from an alignment of interest. A commonality in goals so to speak. That's the hard part in building culture, whereas the easy part is actually just allowing 18-23 year olds to be kids and have fun together. One could argue (and I am making that argument here) that what is happening probably represents a massive improvement in locker room culture. Not all of these kids will fit together perfectly (they never do), but those one-offs will be weeded out and replaced again. I predict that in 2024 we will be the exact opposite team that we were in 2022, and it will be largely due to this change in culture.

I read an article yesterday about the CSUcks depth chart. In the article it was stated that they are expecting 50 new players on scholarship next year compared to the year before. That is in year 2 of a new coach. I say that just to say that this is happening under the radar all over the place.

In a related note...They have precisely 0 healthy scholarship running backs on the team right now. By healthy I mean able to play next year.

Much much worse.
No salary cap and no draft.
Georgia has unlimited $$NIL$$ to poach away a couple key players they need each year to supplement their already high level of recruiting. That's a very insurmountable moat. It completely takes away any hope of competitive balance.

CU was the big loser here and would have forever sucked had it not been for the Great Disrupter, Coach Prime.
He's turned the whole system upside down. For other programs wanting to follow that blueprint, there's a ton of coaches who might help them do that, but I see nobody out there with the charisma to do that anywhere close to the scale of the Great Disrupter.

And to your other point. There are rules. Short of rescinding the right to transfer once and again as a graduate, I see no rules that will tone it down much. They can regulate NIL, but the floodgates of transferring are forever open IMO.
Yep, they wanted free agency and amateurism, they got it...

Didn't Mel Tucker do something similar at MSU before his had his one good year? Not as extreme, but still had a big turnover.

College football was a lie for a very long time. Football programs sold the "student athlete" lie to sell tickets and make billions. Fans bought into the lie. The NIL decision allowed the mask to slip, but many still held onto the lie. Coach Prime has ripped the mask completely off. Of course that was going to upset those who wanted to keep the lie in place.

I think it is worth noting that this turnover wouldn't have been so bad if all our legitimately good players hadn't transferred out before the prior season. Didn't we lose like 20 players?
Off the top of my head, we had 3 starters from our secondary transfer and start for Oregon, USC and TCU, an OL for Duke, and our best WR to USC with our best RB to Michigan State. Those are just the most notable losses and they all would have eligibility.

TO agrees:

Players understand that it really doesn't matter how great the character, training, playcalling and technical soundness of your marginal athlete CB if he's being asked to cover T Owens.

Players also understand that you can coach up a T Owens more easily than a marginal guy because that T Owens level guy has much bigger goals for his athletic career than getting college paid for.

I didn't take time to look at the remaining 14, but I wonder what the split is between MT signings ('19 & '20 classes) vs KD signings ('21 & '22 classes). At first blush, it looked like a lot of juniors and sophomores.

Nation wide nobody cared about CU when CU lost their good players when Tucker left, and nobody said the transfer portal was unfair when the last remaining players with any P5 talent left after the 2021 season. Everyone spent the entire 2022 season laughing at CU for being the worst program in college football.

Now all those same players from the worst team in all of college football are being told to leave, cut, kicked to the curb and somehow this entire process is unfair to the "student athlete".

Out of the 40+ players, plus the HS recruits that have left or told never mind, how many will find a spot on another P5 program? My guess when all done, less than 10.

This program has suffered from crap recruiting for 20 years and for far too long CU has let players sit on a roster for 4+ years that never come close to a starting lineup.

I fully embrace the purge. I laugh that a portal kid is upset because he can't get any practice film. WE TALKING ABOUT PRACTICE. If all you have to show coaches recruiting is random soccer drills and orange slice eating video from a 1-11 team, it's probably best you are leaving.

The whole world was happy having CU as a punching bag, now the whole world is mad because CU just did what every winning program has done forever. The only difference is Prime is more than happy to video everything for the world to see how things really work.

Players understand that it really doesn't matter how great the character, training, playcalling and technical soundness of your marginal athlete CB if he's being asked to cover T Owens.

Players also understand that you can coach up a T Owens more easily than a marginal guy because that T Owens level guy has much bigger goals for his athletic career than getting college paid for.
Its amazing to me that people don’t get that Alabama and Georgia are coaching up their 5 star guys too.

Back