What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

It's Over....

Hopefully this unfortunate chapter is behind us now...The pricetag is a little steep. How much of that could have gone into research?

Oh well, at least we made it go away.

Hopefully this unfortunate chapter is behind us now...The pricetag is a little steep. How much of that could have gone into research?

None ... it's all insurance money. In fact, it was probably the insurance company that largeley called the shots as to settlement.

None ... it's all insurance money. In fact, it was probably the insurance company that largeley called the shots as to settlement.

I wonder how much the premium is on the Drunk Fat Whore insurance policy.

I agree that the settlement was the way to go, but it should have been done SIX YEARS AGO! ****!

:yeahthat:

Although I can forgive the University in this case due to the unexpected reversal and expansion of the scope of Title IX by the 10th Circuit.

2.5 million isn't too bad, plus I think we got some decent leadership changes to come out of the whole fiasco.

I hope Simpson gets hit by a ****ing bus. The only kind of person that makes me more furious than someone who tries to blame others for their own mistakes is someone who's able to profit from it.

In conclusion, I reiterate the fact that I would like to see this young woman incur a significant blunt force trauma via a vehicle with no fewer than 6 wheels.

I hope Simpson gets hit by a ****ing bus. The only kind of person that makes me more furious than someone who tries to blame others for their own mistakes is someone who's able to profit from it.

In conclusion, I reiterate the fact that I would like to see this young woman incur a significant blunt force trauma via a vehicle with no fewer than 6 wheels.

:lol: ****ed up but :lol:

i wonder if her kin are combing buff sites right now, with the intention to threaten additional lawsuits?

what an absolute circus. the silver lining i take from this whole experience is the realization that we all stand accountable for our own behaviors in the end. our justice system can be played, but there is someone who is not fooled. (am i ever in deep **** for all my ****ing cussing) :lol:

Because under Title IX case law as it used to exist the university would not have been held responsible for what happened at an off-campus party unless it could be proven that they were aware of a particular athlete who had committed sexual assault/harassment before, and that they were deliberately indifferent to it. But when the Tenth Circuit reversed the trial court that had held in favor of the university, they expanded the scope of Title IX institutional responsibility so much that it's now unrecognizable. :sad2:

In other words, CU used to have a good case ... but now they didn't.
Thank goodness we have attorneys to help these victims

Because under Title IX case law as it used to exist the university would not have been held responsible for what happened at an off-campus party unless it could be proven that they were aware of a particular athlete who had committed sexual assault/harassment before, and that they were deliberately indifferent to it. But when the Tenth Circuit reversed the trial court that had held in favor of the university, they expanded the scope of Title IX institutional responsibility so much that it's now unrecognizable. :sad2:

In other words, CU used to have a good case ... but now they didn't.

And isn't it funny that all the fans of the other universities that hammered CU about the scandal will now get their just desserts, since this will open every school to the same unsubstantiated lawsuit, and the more wealthy the school, the more suits will be placed against them. I can see this getting worse rather quickly.

I am thinking that they should have paid her 3 million, with the stipulation that she had to live in Lincoln NE for the next 15 years to get it. You know that she could have doubled her money there too!!:smile2:

I am thinking that they should have paid her 3 million, with the stipulation that she had to live in Lincoln NE for the next 15 years to get it. You know that she could have doubled her money there too!!:smile2:

Please, she'd just blend in if she moved to Lincoln. There's a million girls in that city with her exact figure :lol:

Now this pisses me off! The party was at her place and she had a bowl off condoms greeting these guys at the door. She supplied booze to "under age" kids and correct me if I am wrong drove in an intoxicated state and drove several miles aka over 60 miles in the very same 12 hours of this occurrence. I also would like to add the Katey Knida debacle into this in that her father "after" the so called harassments talked up his son as a linebacker to Coach Barnett as a recruit. Who as a father would do that ? Who as a woman would greet stranger at the door and offer them booze knwoing they are under age and display a bowl of condoms and god we will never know what else happened.

I know in the end it was a cost saving matter and a case they probably may not have won but if It was me on a personal level I would fight it all F*** this is just wrong on so many levels.

FCB please talk me off the ledge. I went thru all this s*** and defended CU and I need to have some reason to know how this is just? Sometimes principle and truth has to be more important than $$$. In this case I would fight it to the end! What about the kids that got slandered and had to do DNA tests to prove there innocence? I fight for there integrity and for what is just not walk away and say pay the problem off.

FCB please talk me off the ledge. I went thru all this s*** and defended CU and I need to have some reason to know how this is just? Sometimes principle and truth has to be more important than $$$. In this case I would fight it to the end! What about the kids that got slandered and had to do DNA tests to prove there innocence? I fight for there integrity and for what is just not walk away and say pay the problem off.

canuck...move slowly and calmly back into the room...it is time to move on.

we have seen our share of alcohol fueled promiscuity, traitorous, greedy and negligent administors, and self-serving leeches with a cause.

as fans and supporters we did what we could to defend our university through its darkest hours.

we stood...SHOULDER TO SHOULDER...

and we are still alive.

better yet, we are thriving.

there are good things ahead for us...and the dark days are in the past.

this thing has played itself out, and it had to be closed.

canuck...move slowly and calmly back into the room...it is time to move on.

we have seen our share of alcohol fueled promiscuity, traitorous, greedy and negligent administors, and self-serving leeches with a cause.

as fans and supporters we did what we could to defend our university through its darkest hours.

we stood...SHOULDER TO SHOULDER...

and we are still alive.

better yet, we are thriving.

there are good things ahead for us...and the dark days are in the past.

this thing has played itself out, and it had to be closed.

:yeahthat:

this is done a week from now it will be forgotton by the national media and we can move on, be happy for that.

Now this pisses me off! The party was at her place and she had a bowl off condoms greeting these guys at the door. She supplied booze to "under age" kids and correct me if I am wrong drove in an intoxicated state and drove several miles aka over 60 miles in the very same 12 hours of this occurrence. I also would like to add the Katey Knida debacle into this in that her father "after" the so called harassments talked up his son as a linebacker to Coach Barnett as a recruit. Who as a father would do that ? Who as a woman would greet stranger at the door and offer them booze knwoing they are under age and display a bowl of condoms and god we will never know what else happened.

I know in the end it was a cost saving matter and a case they probably may not have won but if It was me on a personal level I would fight it all F*** this is just wrong on so many levels.

This happens because lawyers become politicians and make the laws that make themselves rich ripping off taxpayers and any deep pocket as they are too lazy to get real jobs and produce real benefit to society. They see a deep pocket (like CU) and go for it. Those types of attorneys are sh*t and so are the people they represent. Maybe they show sell off the CU law school to pay the legal fees and settlement payments thus decrease the maggot production and someday the number of maggot attorneys......just an idea

This happens because lawyers become politicians and make the laws that make themselves rich ripping off taxpayers and any deep pocket as they are too lazy to get real jobs and produce real benefit to society. They see a deep pocket (like CU) and go for it. Those types of attorneys are sh*t and so are the people they represent. Maybe they show sell off the CU law school to pay the legal fees and settlement payments thus decrease the maggot production and someday the number of maggot attorneys......just an idea

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm angry too. But before you malign an entire profession, maybe, just maybe, you should consider not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Do you refuse to see the doctor becuase there is the possibility of malpractice? I don't. If you still feel this way after reflecting about lawyers, then pledge to youself to NEVER hire a lawyer , for any reason, for the rest of your life. Then you'll be a part of the solution and not the problem...as well as intellectually consistent. I deal with lawyers all the time. The main handicap folks have with the legal system is they expect it to make sense. It doesn't. Mostly, at least in the civil realm, it's all horsetrading.

IMO that is waht this deal was...horsetrading.

I'm just glad its over. The only thing is, I worry about other alleged victims in the thing now coming out of the wood work. I hope this settlement ends it once and for all. I even hope Lisa Simpson and the other plantiff can find peace in their lives and live a good, productive life. I believe she, LS, was dead wrong, was more than culpable, and does not deserve a cent, but I wish no more ill will toward her. Its time for everyone to get over the bitterness and get on with their lives.

Except for Baine and Cindy, that is. :lol:

I'm angry too. But before you malign an entire profession, maybe, just maybe, you should consider not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Do you refuse to see the doctor becuase there is the possibility of malpractice? I don't. If you still feel this way after reflecting about lawyers, then pledge to youself to NEVER hire a lawyer , for any reason, for the rest of your life. Then you'll be a part of the solution and not the problem...as well as intellectually consistent. I deal with lawyers all the time. The main handicap folks have with the legal system is they expect it to make sense. It doesn't. Mostly, at least in the civil realm, it's all horsetrading.

IMO that is waht this deal was...horsetrading.
Please note I said "those types of attorneys" Most attorneys I know are great - one I can think of is an ambulance chaser - I avoid him.

Please note I said "those types of attorneys" Most attorneys I know are great - one I can think of is an ambulance chaser - I avoid him.

"some of my best friends are lawyers." :lol:

whatever. you can blame the entire profession if it makes you feel better.

but, here's the bottom line about what happened in this case:

1. inappropriate behavior among some very inebreiated young adults occurred at an off campus party. there are bad facts on each side of the issue and NONE OF US can say for certain what happened. we have our opinions and speculation.

2. in the aftermath, folks starting looking for people to blame. and, weak leadership and very poor oversight within the university created an environment where that blame/responsibility thing got elevated to a legal dispute.

3. CU lost the pr war in a big way, from the very beginning (again, weak leadership, poor oversight). and, they tried to fight only a legal battle on technical terms, when they were, in fact, getting ripped apart in the eyes of the general public.

4. CU's technical legal defense was probably a sound strategy on the micro-level at that time. they didn't think the court would extend title 9 protection this far.

5. still ignoring the bigger picture, CU continues to get fried while its leaders hide and do nothing and rely on the "well, we think we are right on the law" defense.

6. the scandal finally eats all the weaklings who were "leading" our school in this mess.

7. agreeing with CU, the trial court grants summary judgment and dismisses the case. CU feels vindicated on the merits of the case, but the damage is already done on the pr front.

8. CU starts to rebuild with new leaders.

9. the plaintiffs' appeal is successful. title 9 is, in fact, deemed to be broad enough to include the types of claims that the plaintiffs are making. there are enough bad facts in the case that the appellate court lets this thing go back down to trial.

10. with a trial looming, the scandal is about to be ressurected in a really ugly and public way. remember, again, there are very bad facts on both sides here. they are all going to come out and be the subject of intense media scrutiny. CU is about to get a really crappy blackeye again.

11. the insurers and the university appear to have decided enough is enough. the risk at trial of a big nasty award were significant. this appears to have lead the insurers to want to settle. CU needed to settle to end this matter before it blows up in the press again.

anyhow, that's my synopsis of what happened. this is the real world. it was time to put this thing down for good. while i defended the school and program vehemently while this thing was going on, don't lose sight of the fact that something bad happened at that party. we can argue all day about who should be responsible for it and to what extent. it is over.

"some of my best friends are lawyers." :lol:

whatever. you can blame the entire profession if it makes you feel better.

but, here's the bottom line about what happened in this case:

1. inappropriate behavior among some very inebreiated young adults occurred at an off campus party. there are bad facts on each side of the issue and NONE OF US can say for certain what happened. we have our opinions and speculation.

2. in the aftermath, folks starting looking for people to blame. and, weak leadership and very poor oversight within the university created an environment where that blame/responsibility thing got elevated to a legal dispute.

3. CU lost the pr war in a big way, from the very beginning (again, weak leadership, poor oversight). and, they tried to fight only a legal battle on technical terms, when they were, in fact, getting ripped apart in the eyes of the general public.

4. CU's technical legal defense was probably a sound strategy on the micro-level at that time. they didn't think the court would extend title 9 protection this far.

5. still ignoring the bigger picture, CU continues to get fried while its leaders hide and do nothing and rely on the "well, we think we are right on the law" defense.

6. the scandal finally eats all the weaklings who were "leading" our school in this mess.

7. agreeing with CU, the trial court grants summary judgment and dismisses the case. CU feels vindicated on the merits of the case, but the damage is already done on the pr front.

8. CU starts to rebuild with new leaders.

9. the plaintiffs' appeal is successful. title 9 is, in fact, deemed to be broad enough to include the types of claims that the plaintiffs are making. there are enough bad facts in the case that the appellate court lets this thing go back down to trial.

10. with a trial looming, the scandal is about to be ressurected in a really ugly and public way. remember, again, there are very bad facts on both sides here. they are all going to come out and be the subject of intense media scrutiny. CU is about to get a really crappy blackeye again.

11. the insurers and the university appear to have decided enough is enough. the risk at trial of a big nasty award were significant. this appears to have lead the insurers to want to settle. CU needed to settle to end this matter before it blows up in the press again.

anyhow, that's my synopsis of what happened. this is the real world. it was time to put this thing down for good. while i defended the school and program vehemently while this thing was going on, don't lose sight of the fact that something bad happened at that party. we can argue all day about who should be responsible for it and to what extent. it is over.

Excellent synopsis, MBB. I'd only add that perhaps the most fortuitous result of the whole mess is we got rid of a part-time dilletante AD ... and got someone in who is a lot more pro-active.

Back