What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Leavitt - Frmr DC University of Oregon & Colorado

I can make a case for Leavitt being the guy and that he could instill a toughness mentality we really need...

But then I just looked up the fact that the Oregon Defense is 11th in the PAC in points against...

JL to CU not a bad choice

Oregon last 3 yrs; 3 HC and 3 class of players recruited by 3 different HCs, 3 different schemes due to coaching changes (fired or hired). We’ve seen that movie. We didn’t break through until the upperclassmen from other coaches moved on.

JL 2 yrs and 2 HC, the question should be asked why did JL left Colorado?

Not worry about JL ability or experience as a Coordinator or Head Coach.

Oregon last 3 yrs; 3 HC and 3 class of players recruited by 3 different HCs, 3 different schemes due to coaching changes (fired or hired). We’ve seen that movie. We didn’t break through until the upperclassmen from other coaches moved on.

JL 2 yrs and 2 HC, the question should be asked why did JL leave Colorado?

There are about 2 million rea$on$ why JL left for Oregon.

Agreed, $ is one rea$on, but why didn’t he move his family? ain’t no way I $eparate from my family.

Agreed, $ is one rea$on, but why didn’t he move his family? ain’t no way I $eparate from my family.
Preferred the idea of working for Taggart over working for MacIntyre? I don't know. I do know that I have entertained job offers where I would move and commute back to Boulder because my wife and kid would stay here in this community with this school system and this lifestyle. I'd bite that bullet for the good of the family by taking one for the team on working somewhere that wasn't the best place for them to live. That said, it's not like central Oregon in the Eugene area is a hardship on quality of life. So it does seem kind of weird.

JL 2 yrs and 2 HC, the question should be asked why did JL left Colorado?

None of that above explains why Jim Leavitt's year two defense was not very good.

I think what would concern me quite a bit about Leavitt is two-fold:

1. There is very little evidence he is a good recruiter.

2. His coaching tree is greatly diminished since being fired at USF. I could see him keeping several familiar names as assistants.

I feel like JL is too KjSU to be really successful at CU.

He just strikes me as someone who didn't fall too far from his coaching tree. And while the crypt keeper's coaching philosophy sort of worked in South Florida, it would never have worked in Boulder, and it quit working in Manhattan once the NCAA leveled the jc transfer playing field.

Edit: clarify, I'm not saying JL used jc transfers to build usf (although he may have - I just don't know), I'm saying his coaching seems to me to be the right one for kids who either weren't smart enough to get into a better academic school or athletic enough to get into a big name football school where academics don't matter.

Basically, he needs players with a chip on their shoulder. That won't work in Boulder: we're too far up both the academic and the football scale for it to work for long.

Tl;dr: he'd be a home run hire for CSU.

Last edited:
No. CU can do better. JL has coaching chops, but the USF incident, plus other things I hear through the grapevine make me think there is a better candidate.

I think what would concern me quite a bit about Leavitt is two-fold:

1. There is very little evidence he is a good recruiter.

2. His coaching tree is greatly diminished since being fired at USF. I could see him keeping several familiar names as assistants.
I also strenuously challenge the idea that he had the kind of success at USF for which we're looking at CU. He got them up to #2 in the country, sure, but he never finished above 3rd in the CUSA or the Big East, and my bet would be that his team was probably more talented than the one across from it more weeks than not.

Jim Leavitt is an excellent DC.

However, his recruiting chops are highly questionable, his temperament may not lend itself to being a head coach, and he is too old at nearly 60.

CU needs to hire younger.

There is a scenario in which Leavitt would make sense to me, and that involves him electing to stick around Boulder instead of being a mercenary for Oregon’s money or coveting Bill Snyder’s job at K-State.

While there is nothing wrong with Leavitt wanting to get paid. There also is nothing wrong with passing on the guy who bailed on The RISE and left us to watch it come to a spectacularly craptastic end.

weird, what's Oregon's record compared to CU's? if you think JL wouldn't be an upgrade over MM that's on you
Not enough of an upgrade. We (and more importantly ADRG) want to play for Championships. Levitt hasn’t shown that he’s the guy to build to that level. Thanks but no thanks.

Back