What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim MF'n Leavitt

I can't possibly imagine Leavitt agreeing to that sort of scenario. "In order to keep you, we'll fire the guy who brought you in here and give you his job." Yeah, sure, that will work.
You're right; I can't see that scenario playing out. Was simply saying I would prefer that over losing him altogether.

If we lose him then I'd want MM gone. Unfortunately that would have to be after 2016 as the coaching moves are already done. You don't want to throw the hat in the ring after the music stops. I would bet that MM doesn't make it out of 2016 if Levitt leaves this off season and bet the buyout from UM would be steep to get JL back (if that was who we wanted at that point).

Take it with a grain of salt, but I was talking to some guys about this a couple days ago. They said there is no way he is leaving when they even asked him about it. Given it was a couple days ago and things change, but I am not too worried about him leaving. The Harbaugh connection does scare me though.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I was talking to some guys about this a couple days ago. They said there is no way he is leaving when they even asked him about it. Given it was a couple days ago and things change, but I am not too worried about him leaving. The Harbaugh connection does scare me though.

He is a great recruiter though, which is why it is hard to be optimistic about things he would say like this, it could be another sales job by him.

He is a great recruiter though, which is why it is hard to be optimistic about things he would say like this, it could be another sales job by him.
True, but to a current starter on defense would be surprising to me.

Do whatever it takes to keep him here. Losing him would hurt this program even more than it already is.

Leavitt going to Michigan would be based upon if he want to be a HC again. As Michigan DC it puts him in a better position to get to that objective than being at CU. Michigan will have a very good defense this year.

That's probably the $64,000 question right now: does JMFL want to be a head coach again?

If he's making enough money, I could see him saying "I like recruiting. I like spending time with these young men and their parents. I like spending time coaching players and working with them. I get to do a whole lot less of all of that stuff that I like if I become a head coach again. As long as someone pays me well to do what I love, why move up?" In that circumstance, all we have to do is match the money Michigan (or whoever else) throws at him to try and lure him away.

If, on the other hand, he really wants to be the head guy again one day, that changes everything.

Leavitt going to Michigan would be based upon if he want to be a HC again. As Michigan DC it puts him in a better position to get to that objective than being at CU. Michigan will have a very good defense this year.

I'm not so sure about that. If Leavitt continues to build the Colorado defense like he did this year that is way more impressive than maintaining the Michigan defense that Durkin coached. The defense went from 102-72 i think this year after losing its best defensive lineman in Tupou and having significant issues at linebacker. Not saying the he wouldn't be a hot candidate at Michigan just saying that he can impress other teams/AD's the same way at a school like CU.

If he leaves for Michigan, what happens to all that talent he recruited for the 2016 class? Then there is the talent pool he is currently out working for 2017. If he bolts, this could set the program back years and that is with the recruits alone - not to mention his DC abilities! Fingers crossed that he stays.

Next year is pivotal for HCMM. If the team does not advance to a bowl, tough schedule, I can see Leavitt taking over at the conclusion of next season

CU has some say in this.
We have to do what it takes to keep Leavitt. It shouldn't be too hard, he really seems to love Boulder.

If we lose him then I'd want MM gone. Unfortunately that would have to be after 2016 as the coaching moves are already done. You don't want to throw the hat in the ring after the music stops. I would bet that MM doesn't make it out of 2016 if Levitt leaves this off season and bet the buyout from UM would be steep to get JL back (if that was who we wanted at that point).
Now you want to punish mm for making a great hire?

Next year is pivotal for HCMM. If the team does not advance to a bowl, tough schedule, I can see Leavitt taking over at the conclusion of next season
I forecast it happens after the CSU game if we don't win. RG is not happy with losses. Of course I'm also the guy who called for Neinas's head after CSU last year.

I figured I might get this sort of response. :)

Without him we will suck even more than we suck now? :(

There are only a few little faint glimmers of anything resembling hope on this team. He personally is one of them and the 3 kids we like lose in recruiting if he leaves are other ones. We lose that right now and Folsom will be empty in the fall

I sincerely doubt it. Michigan is an upgrade of a job probably from a money standpoint alone. And it re-unites him with whats believed to be a coach thats on the same tier, that top one, as Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. I think you take that job in that situation 9 times out of 10. I hope Im wrong.

It might also say something more about MM if he does take it rather quickly.

His departure for UM might also be a blessing in a way in that forces RGs hand. And maybe Leavitt comes back to us HC at the end of 2016.

Prestige and money haven't been historically persuasive to JMFL, as far as I can tell. Didn't he turn HC jobs in Tuscaloosa and Tallahassee?

CU has some say in this.
We have to do what it takes to keep Leavitt. It shouldn't be too hard, he really seems to love Boulder.
This. Hopefully with RG running the show we can feel confident he'll do what it takes.

Now you want to punish mm for making a great hire?
If he doesn't make more quickly then I'm not seeing reasons to keep him. I did not see another step forward this year other than D. I'd have little faith in him if he can't keep the great hire. Yes, for a HC job, I understand JL leaving. Not for another DC job unless he is bailing ship. For that matter, if he keeps TN I am done with him.

If he doesn't make more quickly then I'm not seeing reasons to keep him. I did not see another step forward this year other than D. I'd have little faith in him if he can't keep the great hire. Yes, for a HC job, I understand JL leaving. Not for another DC job unless he is bailing ship. For that matter, if he keeps TN I am done with him.
This D improvement was led by a guy that MM took a LONG time to hire. Have. Patience.

I'm not so sure about that. If Leavitt continues to build the Colorado defense like he did this year that is way more impressive than maintaining the Michigan defense that Durkin coached. The defense went from 102-72 i think this year after losing its best defensive lineman in Tupou and having significant issues at linebacker. Not saying the he wouldn't be a hot candidate at Michigan just saying that he can impress other teams/AD's the same way at a school like CU.

I think only to Buff fans. Right now CU is not the big stage. Coaching the 72nd best defense does not get that much attention nationwide. Michigan is poised for a big year next year - like the old saying "A rising tide raises all ships." I do not know what Leavitt wants or will do but the idea that CU gives as much visibility as Michigan where both programs are at today is crazy.

I think only to Buff fans. Right now CU is not the big stage. Coaching the 72nd best defense does not get that much attention nationwide. Michigan is poised for a big year next year - like the old saying "A rising tide raises all ships." I do not know what Leavitt wants or will do but the idea that CU gives as much visibility as Michigan where both programs are at today is crazy.

That's why I said continue to build this defense and Colorado is still on the big stage, it is one of If not the best conferences in the country. I'm not trying to say that colorado gets you as much exposure as Michigan but saying it is a great opportunity to show your talents as a coach. Leavitt is already an established head coach so it's not like he needs to sit under and elite coach and learn.

The real question is does he think he can recruit enough talent to colorado to bring that defense to the top of the 3rd or 4th of pac 12 because if he can do that it is way more impressive than taking over michigans defense.

By the way Michigan is not expected to have a great year next year, they lose more players in their two deep than any team in the country I believe. Dont expect them to take that next step until the year after.

Back