What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Jim Mora, Jr - ESPN Analyst

I kind of want a guy that loves Colorado enough to want to live here, but doesn't love them so much that it takes away his focus. That may be asking too much.

Bump? Not cause I'm saying I would want him, but everyone under the sun has been talked about a lot here but hardly a word about Mora. In Howell and Rooney's buffzone podcast he was probably the guy talked about 2nd most after EB. Same old stuff that was discussed in this thread: wants to coach still really bad, loves Boulder, still being paid by UCLA, could be hired for cheap. Still a hard no for everyone?

Bump? Not cause I'm saying I would want him, but everyone under the sun has been talked about a lot here but hardly a word about Mora. In Howell and Rooney's buffzone podcast he was probably the guy talked about 2nd most after EB. Same old stuff that was discussed in this thread: wants to coach still really bad, loves Boulder, still being paid by UCLA, could be hired for cheap. Still a hard no for everyone?
Mora had one of the worse coached, undisciplined, but talented teams since Rick Neuheisel left Boulder. Hard no, forever. He did recruit well, but ultimately, even that ability started to wane once the world discovered he sucked as a CFB head coach.

Hey if Herm can get a failed ex-NFL HC to come in as a DC, maybe we can too. If Mora loves Boulder so much let him be the DC on Bieniemy’s staff and let him help stock the cupboard with talent.

(yes I know this won’t happen)

Hey if Herm can get a failed ex-NFL HC to come in as a DC, maybe we can too. If Mora loves Boulder so much let him be the DC on Bieniemy’s staff and let him help stock the cupboard with talent.

(yes I know this won’t happen)
If there's a retread candidate out there who is as loved and respected within the profession as Herm, then after how that is gone at ASU we would have to consider him. But I think Herm might be a unicorn in this regard. Vermeil had that. Dungy, maybe. Can't think of too many others.

If there's a retread candidate out there who is as loved and respected within the profession as Herm, then after how that is gone at ASU we would have to consider him. But I think Herm might be a unicorn in this regard. Vermeil had that. Dungy, maybe. Can't think of too many others.
I was talking about Marvin Lewis taking a Co-DC job there under Herm.

Chase with some strong takes on the 247 board regarding Mora.

As expected, it is believed that Mora would love to get the CU job.

This wouldn't be at the top of my list, but I would go this direction before some of the candidates I have heard. When you consider his recruiting while at UCLA and the fact that they went 46-30 with him even with that lost season when Rosen was hurt -- and you compare that to UCLA's record in the years before and after him -- he's a stronger candidate than we give him credit for.

Mora viewing jobs as "destination" jobs is a running joke. The guy unabashedly shopped himself (sometimes out in the open) for other jobs at every stop in his career.
That has been true. However, didn't he turn down his alma mater when Washington tried to get him away from UCLA? He's always rated the CU very high on his list of potential destination jobs - this isn't a new thing. And he's also 58 years old so this could very well be his last stop if CU hired him.

That has been true. However, didn't he turn down his alma mater when Washington tried to get him away from UCLA? He's always rated the CU very high on his list of potential destination jobs - this isn't a new thing. And he's also 58 years old so this could very well be his last stop if CU hired him.

You could never tell which jobs he "turned down" because he stoked the fires constantly to get raises.

He is Todd Graham with a more recognizable last name in football circles. Hard shoulder shrug.

Mora did well with Rick’s recruits and fell apart with his own. Kelly inherited an lineup with less talent then Mora did.
Maybe. I'll pull up the recruiting rankings from 2008-2019. I had the impression that Kelly came into a situation with a lot of talent but decided to gut it & rebuild with his guys.

UCLA under Mora:
View attachment 34026

Before Mora (Neuheisel):
View attachment 34027

After Mora (Kelly):
View attachment 34028
Is the takeaway here that he got more out of Neuheisel‘s recruits than his own?

The job shopping thing doesn’t bother me all that much to be honest, as long as the AD is prepared for the eventuality then we should be ok. He‘s actually never left a HC job on his own accord (I’m reaching here for an optimistic view).

My concern is really just whether he’s just a mediocre coach who can recruit some and has a known name.

Here we go based on 247 Composite. @Big Jim was right about what was inherited. Rick could always recruit. But the recruiting was also consistently fantastic throughout Mora's time there.

2008 (RN): #14 (transition)*
2009 (RN): #13
2010 (RN): #10
2011 (RN): #45
2012 (JM): #18
2013 (JM): #7
2014 (JM): #18
2015 (JM): #12
2016 (JM): #13
2017 (JM): #20
2018 (CK): #19 (transition)
2019 (CK): #40
2020 (CK): #32

*this is the year I always hate looking up because I see CU at #15 and that Hawking class was such a lie

The one area where Mora outright failed in recruiting is on the OL.
He inherited the problem from Rick but then I remember how he brought in a bunch of blue chip freshmen OLs who started very early and never developed. They got Rosen killed. Between Rosen's challenging personality and that OL, things went south.

idk, there's some stuff to like I guess. It sure wouldn't be exciting. I guess recruiting would be at least decent.

Even his good teams at UCLA I don't recall seeing them and thinking they were all that good.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

idk, there's some stuff to like I guess. It sure wouldn't be exciting. I guess recruiting would be at least decent.

Even his good teams at UCLA I don't recall seeing them and thinking they were all that good.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
That was the thing. His teams never seemed as good as they should have been based on the parts. I remember thinking the same thing about his Vick-led Falcons teams, too.

JMJ hasn’t gotten a sniff since his exit from Westwood. He wasn’t impressive then. He hasn’t become more impressive as an analyst.

No thanks. Ugh.

Back