What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Josh Smith getting cheap shot

If Josh was not wearing a cup, then it is likely he will not be able to father children.....

Absolutely no place for that kind of stuff in this game. Even if it was a legal hit, the guy is completely unprotected in that area of his body. Hopefully this gets addressed with these refs because that could lead to broken bones or internal damage to his organs. No excuses.

If Josh was not wearing a cup, then it is likely he will not be able to father children.....

From my angle at the game, I thought it was his knee. Watching the replay saturday night 6 times (and hawk's reaction another 10 times) it was clear that it was not the knee. YOU KNOW WHAT HE DID??????

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jVNsiM4IU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jVNsiM4IU[/ame]

HE WAS INJURED... INJURED BAD.

From my angle at the game, I thought it was his knee. Watching the replay saturday night 6 times (and hawk's reaction another 10 times) it was clear that it was not the knee. YOU KNOW WHAT HE DID??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5jVNsiM4IU

HE WAS INJURED... INJURED BAD.

:rofl2:that is:rofl2:freakin hilarious:rofl2: (Side note: agreed; the K-State player who did this was a dou*** who has no business playing the game.)

That dude lead with his helmet too. That's almost as dangerous for him as it is for Smith. Neck injuries happen that way.

Even if he didn't signal fair catch (which he did) it is still illegal. You can touch the return man until he has the ball.

But the ball wasn't anywhere near him. How do you determine who is the return man and who is a blocker?

This hit is typical KSU. I hate this team with all my might, and this hit only reinforced my hatred for them. Prince is punk for not getting on this player.

But the ball wasn't anywhere near him. How do you determine who is the return man and who is a blocker?

ummm... start with at the beginning of the play.... see who the closest person is to the endzone in the direction that the kick is being made.

I think you might be correct 100% of the time.

ummm... start with at the beginning of the play.... see who the closest person is to the endzone in the direction that the kick is being made.

I think you might be correct 100% of the time.

I'm not saying the hit wasn't dirty. I'm just saying that if a player does not signal a fair catch and the ball is not going to land anywhere near him, you must be able to hit him as he has essentially become a blocker, right?

I'm not saying the hit wasn't dirty. I'm just saying that if a player does not signal a fair catch and the ball is not going to land anywhere near him, you must be able to hit him as he has essentially become a blocker, right?

So are you talking about Smith or just some hypothetical situation?

I'm talking about what happened with Smith

No, that'd be holding. 10 yard penalty.

The punt returner gets special protection by virtue of his position, just like a QB. A defensive end cannot lay into a QB after a pass and argue the QB might be a blocker. Same concept. The punt returner is vulnerable and thus is protected from cheap shots.

The punt returner gets special protection by virtue of his position, just like a QB. A defensive end cannot lay into a QB after a pass and argue the QB might be a blocker. Same concept. The punt returner is vulnerable and thus is protected from cheap shots.

He can after an interception is thrown and the situation has changed. Once a kick returner decides to let the ball go over his head in hopes of it going into the end zone he becomes a blocker trying to keep the punting team from getting to the ball, no?

The guys covering punts know who the returner is, and head straight for him from the time the ball is snapped(hint: its the guy all alone at the other end of the field looking up into the sky for the ball). And even if that KjSU guy thought Josh Smith was a blocker, he would have tried to get around him, not throw his helmut into his crotch like a d*uche. That KjSU guy knew perfectly well what he doing. Typical KjSU.

He can after an interception is thrown and the situation has changed. Once a kick returner decides to let the ball go over his head in hopes of it going into the end zone he becomes a blocker trying to keep the punting team from getting to the ball, no?

In that situation the kick returner usually has signaled fair catch, which is a agreement that the receiving team will not attempt to advance the ball. Any attempts to advance the ball after a fair catch is a 5 yard penalty.

In that situation the kick returner usually has signaled fair catch, which is a agreement that the receiving team will not attempt to advance the ball. Any attempts to advance the ball after a fair catch is a 5 yard penalty.

I believe the returner also is penalized if he blocks after calling for a fair catch.

I'm looking through the rulebook, and most of the rules involving punts talk a lot about "intent to catch". You can't touch impede anyone who is attempting to catch a football.

i watch the buffs, game after game,i think the refs in the big 12 has the worst refs out there in any conference including the pac 10.. that # 81 for kansas state should have been tossed from the game...remember the florida state game big 12 refs sucked that game as well wish i could watch a fair game being called during a cu game doubt that will ever happen !!!!!!! rush on scott......

Back