What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell introductory press conference (on now)

Just missed the presser, but according to posts here, he didn't mention Arizona as a prime recruiting area? Would have been good, noting the apparent unease of our 4 star DE.
Mentioned "Western Footprint", which I'm assuming includes AZ, UT, WA, LAS VEGAS!! etc.

Just missed the presser, but according to posts here, he didn't mention Arizona as a prime recruiting area? Would have been good, noting the apparent unease of our 4 star DE.

I doubt he has any idea. He has literally had 72 hours to get up to speed. Nothing I saw here leads me to believe he won't get there.

He mentioned Colorado, California, Texas, Louisiana and our conference footprint as the primary areas for CU.

Mentioned on the Channel 9 News Website about Assistants

Darrin Chiaverini was named as the interim football coach after Tucker's departure.

The 42-year-old has been on the CU staff for four years, serving as the program's assistant head coach this past season. Chiaverini and running backs coach Darian Hagan are among the holdovers from Tucker's staff who are expected to be retained by Dorrell, according to sources.

my biggest take away is that Coach Dorrell does not feel the need to build superficial hype via words, then not back it up with his actions

he's definitely more cerebral in nature, which is a bit concerning given the ridiculous state of the cool-contest in college football right now, but his experience quells that to a degree...hoping to see a little less Joel Osteen and a lot more Buffs football hype on his twitter feed going forward though

I have to think with his relationship and character he will convince Chev to stay. I bet money he will be sincere telling him that he will help Chev where he wants to go.
yep.. and would be smart for Chev to get in 5hat caching tree

There are a lot of questions on recruiting and how much it will be emphasized that I would like to see more on. I will say a couple positives from that Press Conference. I think the region he is focusing on will work better than what Mel had. We really should be focused on CO, Cal, Texas as our primary recruting grounds. This was part of Mel Tucker's plan that always bugged me.

I also think as a parent who is trusting my kid to a coach this guy is full of class. I don't know if he has the Gravitas of Tucker, I do think he has a lot more substance to him though. I tend to think that substance wins out overtime. That said in CFB sometimes you are not given time. We shall see it is two different approaches.

Since he mentioned meeting with coaches this afternoon, I have to assume Chev is one of the first meetings and we should hear from him soon.
It's not definitive, but I think you can read into what you see before Karl enters the meeting room (a number of players celebrating and it appears they come up and hug a coach who looks like Chev). Can't tell for sure, but it sure seems like he's staying based on what I saw.

My take on the presser, and specifically in regards to his emphasis on recruiting, is that he wants good coaches first, and “recruiters” second.
Not a lot of meat on the bone in that presser. He doesn’t come across as a firey orator. More cerebral. That will be a bit of an adjustment for the players.

There are a lot of questions on recruiting and how much it will be emphasized that I would like to see more on. I will say a couple positives from that Press Conference. I think the region he is focusing on will work better than what Mel had. We really should be focused on CO, Cal, Texas as our primary recruting grounds. This was part of Mel Tucker's plan that always bugged me.

I also think as a parent who is trusting my kid to a coach this guy is full of class. I don't know if he has the Gravitas of Tucker, I do think he has a lot more substance to him though. I tend to think that substance wins out overtime. That said in CFB sometimes you are not given time. We shall see it is two different approaches.
Tucker was, as the saying goes, the guy who will make you yell "Hallelujah!" when he's praying with you -- but you better not close your eyes or he might snatch your wallet. That appeals to a lot of recruits. Calpari is the poster boy for that kind of coach in the hoops world and he definitely gets talent. But it is mercenary talent, for better and worse.

Dorrell seems to be the opposite of that. Solid, sincere and someone you know you can trust. That won't generate the hype and it will likely result in a slower build in recruiting, but if he wins we'll have HS coaches telling their players that this is the man to listen to and you'll have no regrets playing for.

Is it reasonable to expect him to visit each of the 2020 signees and their families in the next couple weeks?

It's not definitive, but I think you can read into what you see before Karl enters the meeting room (a number of players celebrating and it appears they come up and hug a coach who looks like Chev). Can't tell for sure, but it sure seems like he's staying based on what I saw.
On KD Nixon’s IG he took a video of them watching music videos before the meeting. It looks like they’re just reacting to the music, and than Lance Carl walks in first.

Is it reasonable to expect him to visit each of the 2020 signees and their families in the next couple weeks?

Likely not visit.

He has to get a staff together and get moving on spring ball. Not a lot of time to fly across the country to have face to face meetings. I would expect him to call every signee though.

So, quick off the cuff responses:

1. I was sold from moment one that this really was one of his "dream jobs." He was downright emotional about the opportunity. I mean seriously, he literally got his first coaching job as a GA under coach Mac. He loves the area enough to decide that this is where his family is going to live. He sent his kid to school here. Yeah, he's all in. I really want him to succeed.

2. I was very worried when he didn't mention recruiting at all for a very long time (other than a "we had a good class last year, that's gonna help" type mention). I had the thought that I think nik expressed above that he does need to walk a fine line between "get the most out of our players" and "recruit better players," but it still worried me.

3. I had some comfort when the first time he mentioned recruiting directly (in response to a question) and he answered in terms of emphasizing the geography that we all know works at CU: Cali, Texas, Louisiana, "western," & spot recruiting where there's specific connections.

4. I really liked when he was essentially asked if he had turned down other college opportunities. He said yes, but that he had not pursued them because he didn't think they had what was needed for success, and then he started listing those things (and paraphrasing here, but): one, can you get a good staff, with this budget and everything else, yes I can get a good staff, two, do you have the things necessary to recruit well, with what RG and LC have built out with staffing, facilities, support - everything from nutrition to mental health to academic support - yes we can recruit here, three, intangibles like culture fit, geography, etc, etc.

Basically, when he essentially said that he evaluated college coaching opportunities by whether or not he could assemble a good staff and whether or not he could recruit successfully, I may have been grasping at straws, but my response was "ok, he gets it."

Now we'll see if he can execute.

HCKD is easy to root for and support. Very impressive and sincere person.
his success is going to be based on the staff around him and how well they recruit. His coaching tree is very encouraging. Makes me think he’ll be able to bring in a good staff here too.
interesting he didn’t mention Dewayne Walker. I thought Walker was a possible DC HCKD would bring with him.

Tucker was, as the saying goes, the guy who will make you yell "Hallelujah!" when he's praying with you -- but you better not close your eyes or he might snatch your wallet. That appeals to a lot of recruits. Calpari is the poster boy for that kind of coach in the hoops world and he definitely gets talent. But it is mercenary talent, for better and worse.

Dorrell seems to be the opposite of that. Solid, sincere and someone you know you can trust. That won't generate the hype and it will likely result in a slower build in recruiting, but if he wins we'll have HS coaches telling their players that this is the man to listen to and you'll have no regrets playing for.
Jason Harris and his Mom seemed to be all about Tucker and the man he was (at least the man he came across as at their dinner table). I'm really hoping Dorrell is able to provide the same kind of comfort and reassurance to Harris and his Mom.

HCKD on now.

Started by talking about how they had decided this is where they wanted to live in retirement. That this was his dream job if it ever became an opportunity. Got broken up and had to take a moment to gather his emotions.

Straight into talking about the CU family and how much guys like McCartney made him who he is.
I wonder if our former HC is going to build his retirement home in East Lansing.

Not sure what our former HC didn’t like about Boulder but Leavitt and KD both want to retire here. That says a lot about Boulder.

When HCKD was at UCLA I liked his decision to bring in EB as his first recruiting coordinator and bring Embree over too. Their strengthens we’re recruiting. So it shows he understands the importance of bringing in great players.

Ironically, CUs downward slide started when Barnett let EB and Embree go. Our recruiting went down from there and the program followed. Not the only issue, but a significant factor in our decline.

When HCKD was at UCLA I liked his decision to bring in EB as his first recruiting coordinator and bring Embree over too. Their strengthens we’re recruiting. So it shows he understands the importance of bringing in great players.

Ironically, CUs downward slide started when Barnett let EB and Embree go. Our recruiting went down from there and the program followed. Not the only issue, but a significant factor in our decline.
I think there were 3 reasons they left:

1. Scandal looming
2. Respect for Dorrell
3. So few opportunities for black HCs & they wanted to do what they could to support success

Back