What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell introductory press conference (on now)

Salary pool good.....
Which reemphasizes that the former HC is a lying sack of doodoo. At least if what someone posted yesterday is true that our former HC said RG didn’t come through on his promise to increase spending.

Which reemphasizes that the former HC is a lying sack of doodoo. At least if what someone posted yesterday is true that our former HC said RG didn’t come through on his promise to increase spending.
The increase was only a few hundred thousand more than what the AC budget was already going to be this season. Several coaches were in line to receive raises for 2020.

The increase was only a few hundred thousand more than what the AC budget was already going to be this season. Several coaches were in line to receive raises for 2020.
True. I think that the assistant salary pool was pre-approved and anticipated the Brumbaugh increase from $100k to $475k. 2021 should see a significant bump, though.

Surprised no one else mentioned it. He thanked the last coaches for a good recruiting class and said, “there are no excuses we can’t win right now and the players believe that.” Or something along those lines, I enjoyed that response.

Seems like a very genuine, likable guy. I’m rooting for him to succeed because we all win if he wins.

I still have my doubts but I took off the noose and took the toaster out of the tub. See you guys in September.

Surprised no one else mentioned it. He thanked the last coaches for a good recruiting class and said, “there are no excuses we can’t win right now and the players believe that.” Or something along those lines, I enjoyed that response.

Seems like a very genuine, likable guy. I’m rooting for him to succeed because we all win if he wins.

I still have my doubts but I took off the noose and took the toaster out of the tub. See you guys in September.
Gotta keep Chev

Unsure whether this is true or not, but I appreciated the way he dealt with leaving Miami. He informed his head coach, had the discussion, and then left with dignity. No burned bridges. Transparent throughout the process. Maybe he was coached to tell that story, but I liked it nonetheless.

I truly don't know. We're not going to be at $6M or anywhere close any time soon. But I think we'll be in the range of paying $1.5M-$2.0M total for our coordinators while averaging $300k for the other 8 assistants - pushing towards $350k. What is that? $3.9 - $4.4? I think that will be about the range.
Mid $4mm is really good for us. Definitely progress. Hopefully that will translate into AC upgrades for 2021.

Unsure whether this is true or not, but I appreciated the way he dealt with leaving Miami. He informed his head coach, had the discussion, and then left with dignity. No burned bridges. Transparent throughout the process. Maybe he was coached to tell that story, but I liked it nonetheless.

I don't think he was coached to say it. He seems very much what you see is what you get.

Kind of hoping he is the Tad Boyle of football.
I have heard a few people make that comparison but it seems more apt after that presser.

Really might be the right guy for CU Football right now.

Not much of a Buff fan, eh?

I’m not old enough to remember the McCartney days, so I’m looking at this through a different lens than most here. Rick’s biggest selling point was that KD loves CU and that’s great, but too many schools fall into this trap. I’m glad he wants to be here and I’m rooting for the best, but this press conference has done nothing to get me excited about the actual on field product

Great recap everyone.

Some quick notes...

I think Dorrell was a finalist for the Duke job at one time (after Ted Roof), which may have been the reference to other jobs with fewer resources. Just a guess.

Regarding Bieniemy and Embree leaving UCLA...I’ve read a couple interviews where it was mentioned that the cost of living was really skyrocketing in L.A. in 2005/2006 and the position coaches were living way out from UCLA campus (Ventura maybe iirc), and were just getting chewed up by the daily commute. Money/quality of life was the major factor for moving on.

Glad (most) everyone took a step back from the ledge today. We still need to see some decent AC hires. Fingers crossed.

I’m not old enough to remember the McCartney days, so I’m looking at this through a different lens than most here. Rick’s biggest selling point was that KD loves CU and that’s great, but too many schools fall into this trap. I’m glad he wants to be here and I’m rooting for the best, but this press conference has done nothing to get me excited about the actual on field product
I am plenty old enough to remember long before McCartney and what I can tell you is that what happened while McCartney was here doesn't matter anymore. Neither does McCartney's endorsement of a coach. After all McCartney has glowingly reviewed all of CU's coaching hires since his departure, especially Embree. While KD was a Buff he was a solid position coach who was decent at recruiting. However, this was when it was EASY to recruit to CU and the talent he had when he got here was better than the talent that was left after his departure. Still he recruited some solid players.

What you saw today in HCKD's interview is EXACTLY who he is. He is well spoken and sincere. He will focus on teaching, he will not be flashy and he will not make recruiting his number 1 priority....He will recruit, but not nationally, instead it will be more focused. He will not suddenly be a twitter or IG influencer that excites kids. He will develop relationships with the staff he hires and many of the kids who come to CU. Without a doubt HCKD will be steady.

Many of you have said time and time again that the life blood of college sports is recruiting. I don't think you were wrong then and I don't think it is wrong now. Thus, I can say that having a genuine coach who isn't exciting and won't make recruiting his primary focus concerns me and will continue to concern me unless he can hire guys that will be spectacular recruiters.

Bottom line is that HCKD's initial presser confirmed that he is exactly who I thought he was. My opinion about the hire hasn't changed. My expectations are low, but from this point on I am going to continue hoping I am wrong wrong wrong and support the program and the hire, because I am a Buff....

I am plenty old enough to remember long before McCartney and what I can tell you is that what happened while McCartney was here doesn't matter anymore. Neither does McCartney's endorsement of a coach. After all McCartney has glowingly reviewed all of CU's coaching hires since his departure, especially Embree. While KD was a Buff he was a solid position coach who was decent at recruiting. However, this was when it was EASY to recruit to CU and the talent he had when he got here was better than the talent that was left after his departure. Still he recruited some solid players.

What you saw today in HCKD's interview is EXACTLY who he is. He is well spoken and sincere. He will focus on teaching, he will not be flashy and he will not make recruiting his number 1 priority....He will recruit, but not nationally, instead it will be more focused. He will not suddenly be a twitter or IG influencer that excites kids. He will develop relationships with the staff he hires and many of the kids who come to CU. Without a doubt HCKD will be steady.

Many of you have said time and time again that the life blood of college sports is recruiting. I don't think you were wrong then and I don't think it is wrong now. Thus, I can say that having a genuine coach who isn't exciting and won't make recruiting his primary focus concerns me and will continue to concern me unless he can hire guys that will be spectacular recruiters.

Bottom line is that HCKD's initial presser confirmed that he is exactly who I thought he was. My opinion about the hire hasn't changed. My expectations are low, but from this point on I am going to continue hoping I am wrong wrong wrong and support the program and the hire, because I am a Buff....
This is the type of post we should pay attention to. Insights from the "not my first rodeo" crowd that doesn't get swept up in the emotional swings of the moment. Nicely done and thank you.

Fair take and I agree

Did you think he would say the salary pool needs to be increased at the presser? RG increased spending on the salary pool because he lost so many coaches and needs to provide some type of resource to fill the spots. Even after the salary pool increase I think CU moved up to 6 in the PAC in terms of assistant salary pool and the PAC as a conference is far behind the other P5 conferences.

Mentioned "Western Footprint", which I'm assuming includes AZ, UT, WA, LAS VEGAS!! etc.

Yes. He referenced the western footprint of the PAC12 as part of the recruiting answer. I would doubt he intended to surgically carve out Tempe/Phx or the Bay Area from his answer.

Just so happy we ended up here after the past couple weeks. We may have actually taken a significant step up in the long run. Seems MT had one expensive, vintage Nike sneaker out the door from the beginning.

Back