What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell introductory press conference (on now)

listening now..

-he's clearly a likable guy, going to be easy to root for him to succeed. Way more authentic than MT at first take (never really bought his bs with this being his dream job and what not)
-pretty easy to see why RG loved him, I doubt he goes out every offseason seeking interest elsewhere to squeeze every dollar out of a new contract
-definitely in the CU family type guy
-recruiting answer was solid
-offense answer was interesting, talked more about defense (good) didn't really specify what kind of offense we'd run other than we'd throw it and run it
-passion for the program was clear

still feeling pretty meh on the hire, but I can see what appealed to RG on him. Go get us some awesome assistants and win some games and people will get on board.

I’m not old enough to remember the McCartney days, so I’m looking at this through a different lens than most here. Rick’s biggest selling point was that KD loves CU and that’s great, but too many schools fall into this trap. I’m glad he wants to be here and I’m rooting for the best, but this press conference has done nothing to get me excited about the actual on field product
What schools have fallen into this “trap?”

Did you think he would say the salary pool needs to be increased at the presser? RG increased spending on the salary pool because he lost so many coaches and needs to provide some type of resource to fill the spots. Even after the salary pool increase I think CU moved up to 6 in the PAC in terms of assistant salary pool and the PAC as a conference is far behind the other P5 conferences.
So the former coach speaks truth and Dorrell is a liar?

I am plenty old enough to remember long before McCartney and what I can tell you is that what happened while McCartney was here doesn't matter anymore. Neither does McCartney's endorsement of a coach. After all McCartney has glowingly reviewed all of CU's coaching hires since his departure, especially Embree. While KD was a Buff he was a solid position coach who was decent at recruiting. However, this was when it was EASY to recruit to CU and the talent he had when he got here was better than the talent that was left after his departure. Still he recruited some solid players.

What you saw today in HCKD's interview is EXACTLY who he is. He is well spoken and sincere. He will focus on teaching, he will not be flashy and he will not make recruiting his number 1 priority....He will recruit, but not nationally, instead it will be more focused. He will not suddenly be a twitter or IG influencer that excites kids. He will develop relationships with the staff he hires and many of the kids who come to CU. Without a doubt HCKD will be steady.

Many of you have said time and time again that the life blood of college sports is recruiting. I don't think you were wrong then and I don't think it is wrong now. Thus, I can say that having a genuine coach who isn't exciting and won't make recruiting his primary focus concerns me and will continue to concern me unless he can hire guys that will be spectacular recruiters.

Bottom line is that HCKD's initial presser confirmed that he is exactly who I thought he was. My opinion about the hire hasn't changed. My expectations are low, but from this point on I am going to continue hoping I am wrong wrong wrong and support the program and the hire, because I am a Buff....

I don’t think you can ascertain the priority he will place on recruiting until we see his staff.

He knew the ranking of the incoming class and had a realistic plan for recruiting.

He didn’t have pithy sound bite answers about it like Tucker but “I have some relationships with some HS coaches in Florida and we’ll spot recruit there” is a really good answer and encouraging, imo.

Winning recruiting battles in Florida is going to be extremely difficult at this point, so while “we’ll go wherever the players are,” sounds good it’s not realistic. But getting the inside track on a player that wants out of the South or is getting slept on by other schools is realistic.

Again, the staff will be key.

All the press conference confirmed for me is that he is a straight shooter that is going to tell pretty lies to impress people.

I am plenty old enough to remember long before McCartney and what I can tell you is that what happened while McCartney was here doesn't matter anymore. Neither does McCartney's endorsement of a coach. After all McCartney has glowingly reviewed all of CU's coaching hires since his departure, especially Embree. While KD was a Buff he was a solid position coach who was decent at recruiting. However, this was when it was EASY to recruit to CU and the talent he had when he got here was better than the talent that was left after his departure. Still he recruited some solid players.

What you saw today in HCKD's interview is EXACTLY who he is. He is well spoken and sincere. He will focus on teaching, he will not be flashy and he will not make recruiting his number 1 priority....He will recruit, but not nationally, instead it will be more focused. He will not suddenly be a twitter or IG influencer that excites kids. He will develop relationships with the staff he hires and many of the kids who come to CU. Without a doubt HCKD will be steady.

Many of you have said time and time again that the life blood of college sports is recruiting. I don't think you were wrong then and I don't think it is wrong now. Thus, I can say that having a genuine coach who isn't exciting and won't make recruiting his primary focus concerns me and will continue to concern me unless he can hire guys that will be spectacular recruiters.

Bottom line is that HCKD's initial presser confirmed that he is exactly who I thought he was. My opinion about the hire hasn't changed. My expectations are low, but from this point on I am going to continue hoping I am wrong wrong wrong and support the program and the hire, because I am a Buff....
I was at CU from 72-75. I understand the jury is very much out on Dorrell's recruiting, but come on. Alabama wasn't pulling 5 star QBs out of Los Angeles when they sucked or even average. You recruit nationally when you're good, recruiting is very much a snowball effect that works both ways. It's very responsible to play to our strength recruiting areas now. No one was criticizing that from Tucker, he only expanded to areas he just coached in, which Dorrell also said he'd do. Let's make a few bowl games before we criticize a guy for recruiting the areas we ourselves have pointed out should be our main focus.

Based on that presser, Coach Dorrell really bleeds Black and Gold! So glad we have a guy who landed his dream job. (stay off my Lawn!)

Comparing recent introductory press conferences in Boulder and E Lansing:
Dorrell 1
Tucker 0

Dorrell’s homecoming to his GA stomping ground was much less awkward, much less deer in the headlights, much more inspiring.

#upgrade

I was at CU from 72-75. I understand the jury is very much out on Dorrell's recruiting, but come on. Alabama wasn't pulling 5 star QBs out of Los Angeles when they sucked or even average. You recruit nationally when you're good, recruiting is very much a snowball effect that works both ways. It's very responsible to play to our strength recruiting areas now. No one was criticizing that from Tucker, he only expanded to areas he just coached in, which Dorrell also said he'd do. Let's make a few bowl games before we criticize a guy for recruiting the areas we ourselves have pointed out should be our main focus.
I was critical of FHCMT for not hiring a staff that would recruit our footprint. We didn't need a staff that was mostly for GA, FL, LA and MS jucos. He did prioritize AZ well and didn't compromise on TX. But the CA emphasis was completely lacking.

When CU is rolling, our recruiting is mostly CO, CA and TX. Over half of a CU class should be CA/TX and that balance should go about 60/40. Then it's however many CO guys we can get who fit what we're doing and are legit P5 players followed by "other". We're most likely to find "other" in LA and AZ.

I was critical of FHCMT for not hiring a staff that would recruit our footprint. We didn't need a staff that was mostly for GA, FL, LA and MS jucos. He did prioritize AZ well and didn't compromise on TX. But the CA emphasis was completely lacking.

When CU is rolling, our recruiting is mostly CO, CA and TX. Over half of a CU class should be CA/TX and that balance should go about 60/40. Then it's however many CO guys we can get who fit what we're doing and are legit P5 players followed by "other". We're most likely to find "other" in LA and AZ.

Still need the Southeast as DL is important.

How much of Texas and AZ was Chev? I think a lot of it was.

I truly don't know. We're not going to be at $6M or anywhere close any time soon. But I think we'll be in the range of paying $1.5M-$2.0M total for our coordinators while averaging $300k for the other 8 assistants - pushing towards $350k. What is that? $3.9 - $4.4? I think that will be about the range.
How does poor old Oregon function at $4.1 Million? Seems incredibly low for how well they recruit

You do realize FHCMT got 60% of our recruits this year from CA, TX, AZ, and CO.

You do realize FHCMT got 60% of our recruits this year from CA, TX, AZ, and CO.
Yes. But that's not what I said.

Also, something I did not say is that the CA focus has got to be in SoCal. FHCMM had the raw numbers, too, but Sacramento & San Antonio isn't gonna do it.

Still need the Southeast as DL is important.
This. The collapse of elite DL talent in CA over the past 10 years has been noted a few times. TX still has its share, but SE is "where the talent is."

So now that we have "KD", what happens to Nixon? Does he have to get new initials? Bummer.

listening now..

-he's clearly a likable guy, going to be easy to root for him to succeed. Way more authentic than MT at first take (never really bought his bs with this being his dream job and what not)
-pretty easy to see why RG loved him, I doubt he goes out every offseason seeking interest elsewhere to squeeze every dollar out of a new contract
-definitely in the CU family type guy
-recruiting answer was solid
-offense answer was interesting, talked more about defense (good) didn't really specify what kind of offense we'd run other than we'd throw it and run it
-passion for the program was clear

still feeling pretty meh on the hire, but I can see what appealed to RG on him. Go get us some awesome assistants and win some games and people will get on board.
Haven't had a chance to listen, what did he say about recruiting. TIA

Going to focus on CO, CA, TX, the PAC footprint, Louisiana, and spots where he has connections (FL). Recognized the importance of pulling in great athletes and says CU has a history of doing so. Said something like CO players are the heartbeat of the program.

He'd hit the traditional areas CA/TX/CO sprinkle in some Louisiana and sprinkle in some places he has connections. Nothing too nuts, but standard works. I'd actually like to see him stick to the footprint a little better than MT did, although he did get results in the southeast.

My reaction to the presser:

Good signs:
-HCKD is genuine. He is not flashy. He is not ear candy. He is not going to be the type that is good at social media and super relateable to 18yos. But he has substance and I genuinely believe what he's saying.
-He cares for this University and wants to see it do well
-He considers himself a teacher first and a coach second.
-He has hired a lot of guys that have gone on to be great football coaches in their own right.

Bad signs:
-I think what he's building at CU is going to take longer than fans are willing to give him. All the talk of coaching guys up for success on and off the field, in life, etc. is great, but I worry that it might take bringing in his guys who buy in to that to be successful, aka 4 years.
-He's not a commanding presence.
-It almost seemed like he just wants to be in Colorado for the environment. Like he loves the flagstone on the buildings. Big whoop.

Bottom line: He's the anti-Mel Tucker. The things he seems good at were Mel's negatives and vice versa. So I guess my prediction is 7-5?

Back