What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell introductory press conference (on now)

My reaction to the presser:

Good signs:
-HCKD is genuine. He is not flashy. He is not ear candy. He is not going to be the type that is good at social media and super relateable to 18yos. But he has substance and I genuinely believe what he's saying.
-He cares for this University and wants to see it do well
-He considers himself a teacher first and a coach second.
-He has hired a lot of guys that have gone on to be great football coaches in their own right.

Bad signs:
-I think what he's building at CU is going to take longer than fans are willing to give him. All the talk of coaching guys up for success on and off the field, in life, etc. is great, but I worry that it might take bringing in his guys who buy in to that to be successful, aka 4 years.
-He's not a commanding presence.
-It almost seemed like he just wants to be in Colorado for the environment. Like he loves the flagstone on the buildings. Big whoop.

Bottom line: He's the anti-Mel Tucker. The things he seems good at were Mel's negatives and vice versa. So I guess my prediction is 7-5?
I'd agree to do a lot of weird and possibly illegal stuff if it would get us a 7-5 season right now. We've achieved that once since 2005. Just sayin'.

I'd agree to do a lot of weird and possibly illegal stuff if it would get us a 7-5 season right now. We've achieved that once since 2005. Just sayin'.
I was mostly being facetious since I described him as the anti-Mel Tucker. I would take 7-5 in a heartbeat too.

My reaction to the presser:

Good signs:
-HCKD is genuine. He is not flashy. He is not ear candy. He is not going to be the type that is good at social media and super relateable to 18yos. But he has substance and I genuinely believe what he's saying.
-He cares for this University and wants to see it do well
-He considers himself a teacher first and a coach second.
-He has hired a lot of guys that have gone on to be great football coaches in their own right.

Bad signs:
-I think what he's building at CU is going to take longer than fans are willing to give him. All the talk of coaching guys up for success on and off the field, in life, etc. is great, but I worry that it might take bringing in his guys who buy in to that to be successful, aka 4 years.
-He's not a commanding presence.
-It almost seemed like he just wants to be in Colorado for the environment. Like he loves the flagstone on the buildings. Big whoop.

Bottom line: He's the anti-Mel Tucker. The things he seems good at were Mel's negatives and vice versa. So I guess my prediction is 7-5?
Wow, you got a season record out of a press conference. I'm impressed!

I was mostly being facetious since I described him as the anti-Mel Tucker. I would take 7-5 in a heartbeat too.
Also, I know this makes me sound old, but I was already growing tired of Mel's social media blitz. The filmed phone conversations with Ashaad Clayton, the video reaction of Jason Harris committing (when they received his LOI weeks earlier), etc.

Dorrell seems very unlikely to do cringey social media stuff like that. Also very unlikely to un-retire a number for a recruit and then leave town later in the week.

I was critical of FHCMT for not hiring a staff that would recruit our footprint. We didn't need a staff that was mostly for GA, FL, LA and MS jucos. He did prioritize AZ well and didn't compromise on TX. But the CA emphasis was completely lacking.

When CU is rolling, our recruiting is mostly CO, CA and TX. Over half of a CU class should be CA/TX and that balance should go about 60/40. Then it's however many CO guys we can get who fit what we're doing and are legit P5 players followed by "other". We're most likely to find "other" in LA and AZ.
That’s BS . When we were so called rolling. We got guys from everywhere, mi, la, oh, il etc. CA has only so many players and the pac 12 has it totally covered. I’m open to opening other areas. Recruiting isn’t regional anymore wake up! And get out of the past every other good program has.

This was yesterday...
I would hope that this new information about him not showing up would be false considering it completely contradicts this direct quote.

it was reported over at 247 by Chase Howell and confirmed by Adam. But Adam stated Chev has not resigned.

That’s BS . When we were so called rolling. We got guys from everywhere, mi, la, oh, il etc. CA has only so many players and the pac 12 has it totally covered. I’m open to opening other areas. Recruiting isn’t regional anymore wake up! And get out of the past every other good program has.

what evidence do you that suggests recruiting isn't regional anymore?

do you think nobody recruits Ohio? Louisiana? Michigan? Illinois?

That's not what got it rolling and built our national champion. It was built on Los Angeles, Houston and Colorado. That '94 team roster was built from that foundation expanding to national recruiting because we had been in 2 straight title games and could get into any living room. Similarly, Dabo did not build Clemson with national recruiting but he does it now because he can.

Also, I know this makes me sound old, but I was already growing tired of Mel's social media blitz. The filmed phone conversations with Ashaad Clayton, the video reaction of Jason Harris committing (when they received his LOI weeks earlier), etc.

Dorrell seems very unlikely to do cringey social media stuff like that. Also very unlikely to un-retire a number for a recruit and then leave town later in the week.

It does make you sound old. That was a big part of getting CU football attention last year.

Saw the replay of the press-conference.

I am in agreement that KD came across as genuine. I also agree that it is easy to root for the guy to succeed, and hope that he does.

I'm not sure the low-key charisma works with today's recruits. Back in the 90's, it may have worked just fine. But this is 2020 - and I'm not convinced (yet) that style will resonate with 18-Yr old recruits. Sure - maybe it appeals to the kids parents -- but ultimately I think we need the kid to be interested first, and then the parent.

Maybe I'm still beaten down from the shock of Midnight Mel -- but I just have a hard time trusting anything anyone says right now. Talk is cheap -- we need to see results in recruiting and on the field.

It is imperative they hold on to the majority of this year's class, and get to a bowl to keep momentum moving forward. Who knows - perhaps Midnight Mel was actually the spark that led to bigger and better things to come in a few years!

Reiterating on integrity and ties to CO football. Feeling a bit Embree 2.0, really hope we don't see similar results.
Wow. Sooooo completely different. Someone who had not been more than a position assistant as HC hiring other position assistants as OC and DC, vs someone when has been a P5 head coach for five years. Resumes vastly different (when they were hired as CU head coach). Doesn’t come close to feeling the same.

Back