What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

I don’t know if he’d be great, but I don’t think he’d be bad. Has the resources to assemble a good staff (probably over time since there may not be a ton available right now), decent recruiter, wants to be here. If he kept chev and this class stayed together, could rebound nicely. Worth an interview at least, and if he has a good vision/plan, I’d definitely support it. I like it a hell of a lot more than TC, and probably more than EB. I really wanted Sark, but we got outbid. Deal with it, move on, don’t do anything drastic. I have no illusion that we’re anywhere near the playing field of the P6 schools mentioned above.

I think we need to re-think where we are to an extent. Let me explain where I'm going here-I'm 33, and I define the two most successful coaches in my lifetime as 1) the godfather (duh) and 2) Gary Barnett. I don't see a coach like McCartney coming here right now. I didn't even think Melvin had that kind of potential had he been a man and stuck it out here. I think Mora can deliver the type of results (bowls most years, occasional special season-which is my expectation of this program) that Gary Barnett got pre "scandal". He put up those types of results at UCLA before his divorce (I think they won at least 9 games his first three years there). He's probably pretty hungry after two years out, ready for a new opportunity with his divorce behind him, and he's gushed about the potential of CU and his love of Boulder. He's 57 IIRC, so he'd probably be here until he retired. We could do a hell of a lot worse for a late February/early March coaching search, and he'd be a guy I'd have no trouble getting behind.

As far as the staff, I think the bulk of the guys who are still here are going to be here at least through the fall. I don't see Melvin stealing anyone else. We're too close to spring ball (tinkering with that schedule is something that needs to be on the table at this point-but regardless) for whoever this is to make a bunch of wholesale changes to the staff.

True, but there are always fans whose identity is just a little too tied to the team they root for. CU's coaching search is less than a blip, even for a rabid CFB fan. There's nothing embarrassing about making an offer that's not accepted and few will even remember the story 3 months from now. All that matters is getting the right coach (or at least the best available.)

I don't think we should be embarrassed as CU fans, but I think the fact that Saban is paying Sarkisian more than most head coaches to stay at Alabama probably will have a negative effect on the sport, and I don't like that.

They should go with Chiaverini. The kids love him. He’s a good recruiter
I think that ship has sailed. If it’s a reboot, then they’re not interested in hiring the guys they looked at the last round, Chev being among that group.
I think RG had Sark in mind from day one, and now has to regroup.
Jim Mora is looking like the best choice now. Name recognition, familiarity with the recruiting footprint, HC experience. While we could do better under different circumstances, we probably can’t do better at this point.

True, but there are always fans whose identity is just a little too tied to the team they root for. CU's coaching search is less than a blip, even for a rabid CFB fan. There's nothing embarrassing about making an offer that's not accepted and few will even remember the story 3 months from now. All that matters is getting the right coach (or at least the best available.)

I don't think we should be embarrassed as CU fans, but I think the fact that Saban is paying Sarkisian more than most head coaches to stay at Alabama probably will have a negative effect on the sport, and I don't like that. He epitomizes everything that's wrong with college football, and I'm marrying a former Tennessee rower in 10 months. Thus, **** Alabama.

Last edited:
I choose to not believe a single word written or spoken by Mike Klis. I think he pulls anything non-Broncos related right out of his ass. And anything Broncos related he gets straight from his handlers with the Broncos.

If EB sees the house burning down and runs in to help, god bless him!!!

It is either hail mary EB, hire DC, or at this point Jim Mora is probably your only best choice to save the day

I reached my article limit apparently... What is this saying?

In short, TC was not going to address, confirm, deny or even act like he heard a question pertaining to the CU job. He came off as a slightly bitter, and annoyed guy in the interview. No news at all other than he was not going to answer any questions about CU. He was there to talk about AFA practice...and nobody cared or wanted to do that.

He goes round and round, almost messing with the interviewer and refusing to answer a direct question about his interest or possibility of having interviewed at CU.

Excerpts:

Gazette: Did you not talk to your staff yesterday and tell them that had happened?
Calhoun: That what?

Gazette: That you had interviewed?
Calhoun: Did I?

Gazette: That’s what I’ve heard?
Calhoun: Well, write that then. If that’s what we did. If we told our staff that, then write that. If you think that’s accurate and that’s what you heard, write that. I wouldn’t say just a source, if that really is the truth, we told our staff, there’s freedom to write whatever we want to write.
I’m all about football. That’s what we’re doing. We’re all about Air Force football and what we did today.

Gazette: OK, here’s a football question. Will you be his football coach in the fall?
See, you’re asking about Air Force football, what happened in practice today?

Local TV reporter: Coach, would you say you’re happy at Air Force right now, because I know there was discussion about…
Calhoun: What’s that have to do with practice? Honestly? What do we have in regards to Air Force football today, practice-wise?

Local TV reporter: Right, I think there are people that have been asking us whether or not you will be here long term. There was talk of an extension, I think that’s something…
Calhoun: I said Air Force football. What happened at practice today? Do you want to talk about our personnel and team and whatnot.

Local TV reporter: There’s no other inclination about interviewing for other positions or other opportunities?
(Pause) Guys? What do we got about practice today? Our guys and the way they moved today and the way they worked. Do we have anything that way?

[The interview continued for an additional 2 minutes, 45 seconds with questions about practice, players and assistant coaches and not the Colorado job speculation]

Yeah, I just hope I don't run into that Alabama guy at the grocery store again.

In short, TC was not going to address, confirm, deny or even act like he heard a question pertaining to the CU job. He came off as a slightly bitter, and annoyed guy in the interview. No news at all other than he was not going to answer any questions about CU. He was there to talk about AFA practice...and nobody cared or wanted to do that.

Reading that was a waste of time TBH. I did last night.

Calhoun gives 5 or 6 aggressive/odd non-answers to questions about the reports that he interviewed at CU. Is only willing to answer questions about that day's practice and AF football. Gives weird deflections to any questions even hinting at the CU coaching search

e.g.

Gazette: Why is Dane Kinamon playing defense?

Calhoun: That’s a good question. We decided throughout spring ball we want him at safety. We think he can make an impact there. Really when he came out of high school he played a number of positions just in terms of just a really, really versatile football player. I think that’s probably something we had in mind doing about the middle of October. It wasn’t just something we did here in February.

Gazette: OK, here’s a football question. Will you be his football coach in the fall?

Calhoun gives 5 or 6 aggressive/odd non-answers to questions about the reports that he interviewed at CU. Is only willing to answer questions about that day's practice and AF football. Gives weird deflections to any questions even hinting at the CU coaching search

e.g.

Gazette: Why is Dane Kinamon playing defense?

Calhoun: That’s a good question. We decided throughout spring ball we want him at safety. We think he can make an impact there. Really when he came out of high school he played a number of positions just in terms of just a really, really versatile football player. I think that’s probably something we had in mind doing about the middle of October. It wasn’t just something we did here in February.

Given the passive aggressive hostility, I think we can safely assume TC will finishhis career at AFA.

Back