What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

I agree, wonder how long he could hang on. He needs more coaching and experience. Could he get that from EB? Would love to see him OC under EB, just not sure he is ready.
I feel like things were later out for him under Tucker. AHC and likely the next OC in a year or two, and then eventually the HC-in waiting after Tucker jumped for something bigger after year 4 or 5. Of course that’s the pipe dream.

Does anyone know what EB salary is. Couldnt find it. I did like this however,

Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce said on the #PFTPM podcast in late September regarding the transition from Nagy to Bieniemy. “Coach Bieniemy brings a fierce, aggressive mentality to the offense. Kind of a gritty, punch-you-in-the-mouth-type of mindset, and I think that has rubbed off on everybody, from Pat [Mahomes] throwing the ball aggressively down field. The play calling is a little bit more aggressive and, sure enough, everybody getting the ball has been a north runner. There’s not too much running sideways. Everybody’s getting downhill trying to finish the plays in the end zone.”

There’s a possible reality where Chev and Hagan are not on the AC staff within the next 12 months. Chev could feel like he has been hired over and Hagan goes back into the AD. But RG shouldn’t hire to save their feelings or anyone else’s, frankly. He and LC have to hire the candidate they feel gives the program the best chance at success. And probably make those decisions as if their jobs depend on that outcome.

There’s a possible reality where Chev and Hagan are not on the AC staff within the next 12 months. Chev could feel like he has been hired over and Hagan goes back into the AD. But RG shouldn’t hire to save their feelings or anyone else’s, frankly. He and LC have to hire the candidate they feel gives the program the best chance at success. And probably make those decisions as if their jobs depend on that outcome.

EB as HC avoids this possibility. He'd look to keep everybody still on staff minus the UGA QC people Tucker brought with him. We'd probably be fighting #midnightmel for Kaps services regardless.

EB as HC avoids this possibility. He'd look to keep everybody still on staff minus the UGA QC people Tucker brought with him. We'd probably be fighting #midnightmel for Kaps services regardless.

Why should it be avoided? I’m saying keeping current staff is not a priority if it inhibits bigger goals. If Chev or anyone else fits, fine, but why install self imposed limitations (ugh, is that a ***kerism, feels like it is)

Why should it be avoided? I’m saying keeping current staff is not a priority if it inhibits bigger goals. If Chev or anyone else fits, fine, but why install self imposed limitations (ugh, is that a ***kerism, feels like it is)

Continunity. Chev has worked his ass off recruiting this class. These kids love him. I thought he was a better OC in 2018 than JJ was LY. Allow him to work with Scooter (who has grown exponentially as a coach being around Andy Reid and Doug Pedersen) and I think we're good.

You’ve never been recruited as a high performer in a billion dollar industry. You can judge all you want. Until you’re faced with saying no to $18million and elite pay for your immediate subordinates, you cannot say what you would do.
Not saying your wrong, because I obviously am not in that stratosphere, but my word does mean something. I've turned down some different situations in life because i gave someone my word. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if it didn't.

EB is a great Buff and I really enjoyed hearing him on Buff podcast interview. But I’m still uneasy due to how bad the Embree EB experiment went and stories of him being over the top with players. If he learned from that experience he could be or best option. I not sure Chev is ready to be a HC, and I know he was lost at play calling so I don’t see him as an OC either.
Barry Odom might be under the radar. He is a good defensive mind and his teams did pretty well in a super tough conference. He probably had Mizzu achieving all they could achieve in the SEC. if we got him at a low rate, since Mizzu is still paying, we could also bring in a much better staff to support him.

EB is the reason I became a Buff fan when he signed out of Bishop Amat HS out of La Puente, CA in 1987! I would be ecstatic for him to be the HC here. He would bring instant credibility with recruits and would help keep Chev. Who knows Chev might turn out to be a great OC under EB.

Plus people can change... don't get hung up over the past with EB. I doubt he'd be our HC longer than 3yrs but at least I would trust him. Anybody else besides Chev as HC I would be leary of just because of the recent history of MT.

MSU is now like the Fuskers and Notre Lame for me. I will enjoy any team that stomps them!!!!!

EB is a great Buff and I really enjoyed hearing him on Buff podcast interview. But I’m still uneasy due to how bad the Embree EB experiment went and stories of him being over the top with players. If he learned from that experience he could be or best option. I not sure Chev is ready to be a HC, and I know he was lost at play calling so I don’t see him as an OC either.
Barry Odom might be under the radar. He is a good defensive mind and his teams did pretty well in a super tough conference. He probably had Mizzu achieving all they could achieve in the SEC. if we got him at a low rate, since Mizzu is still paying, we could also bring in a much better staff to support him.

Again-he has seven years of experience under one of the best coaches in the NFL since he left here. If he wants the job, he gets the job.

Not saying your wrong, because I obviously am not in that stratosphere, but my word does mean something. I've turned down some different situations in life because i gave someone my word. I couldn't look myself in the mirror if it didn't.
I am not saying it is easy to let other people down. $18 million softens the blow.

I encourage everyone to look at the college coach database from USA Today. There are notable exceptions of meh teams with big money. However, the elite programs all have AC salary budgets in the ballpark MT got from MSU. This is not a feature Colorado can offer today. It may never be able to secure that kind of money aside from one of us becoming a billionaire.

With EB as a coach is everyone ready to have him jump back to the nfl in a year or two if he's successful here? They will be knocking down his door.
F yeah. If EB's successful here, then we have a destination program with a winning culture and good recruiting that the next guy can step into. Of course I say that about anyone who comes in and immediately wins. Would suck to lose a winning coach to the NFL, but that happens.

At least we could assume that EB wouldn't ghost his way out the door while lying through his teeth.

Chev will be hired over. He's in the same position Cabral was in and loves the program the same way. We'll see.

The only 2 coaches the MSU 247 board speculated Tucker would bring was Kap and Summers

F yeah. If EB's successful here, then we have a destination program with a winning culture and good recruiting that the next guy can step into. Of course I say that about anyone who comes in and immediately wins. Would suck to lose a winning coach to the NFL, but that happens.

At least we could assume that EB wouldn't ghost his way out the door while lying through his teeth.
So even though the potential outcome could be identical, your feelings would be different?

So even though the potential outcome could be identical, your feelings would be different?
Are you saying that EB would handle it the same way as Tucker? Lying to boosters while negotiating in secret at the worst possible time to hire a college coach? I think that's a far-fetched argument. In fact, he's probably the least likely to screw over CU than any other candidate, except Chev maybe.

Speaking generally, college coaches get the attention of NFL programs when they have sustained, remarkable success (Kingsbury not withstanding). If EB were to move to the NFL after being wildly successful at CU, I would expect that he would make that transition in a manner that impacted CU the least he could. And I would be bummed, but OK with that.

If, EB comes I think Hagan and Chev keeps jobs. Anyone else how knows. If I was a coach coming into this situation it would be tough to let Chev go with his recruiting ability.

Back