What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

To the Troy Calhoun recruiting apologists: name me 1 recruit that garnered national attention at either the time of his recruitment or by the time he finished at the AFA and was given NFL consideration.
Hold on give me a minute.....

To the Troy Calhoun recruiting apologists: name me 1 recruit that garnered national attention at either the time of his recruitment or by the time he finished at the AFA and was given NFL consideration.

This isn't really a fair question. AFA has a unique difficulty in recruiting those kinds of players. Additionally, they don't get NFL consideration because, until very recently, they couldn't go until their commitment was completed.

Kinda surprised at the Anti Calhoun path. Dude overprerforms every year. He is by no means limited to the Triple options. In fact it gives him unique incite into RPO. If you recall, when He was hired at AFA, he was criticized for not knowing how to run an Offense that could be successful there. I see him as a huge fit

Mel Tucker convinced very high character kids and parents that CU Is the place for their sons. Calhoun is the only guy on the list that trumps Tucker (prior to this MSU debacle) in the character department. This has the highest upside IMO

couple Calhoun with a good OC (Chev) mix in a unique perspective on RPO. This will be huge.
I am not nearly as optimistic as you are with Calhoun as the HC: We are all eating a **** sandwich right now IMO.

That said, Calhoun is a very good coach, and I think he would continue to be a very good coach here. But to be successful, he will have to recruit like he never has needed to before. So, that's the big question....can he? Some say it's impossible, I say it can happen (with the right staff). Regardless, it would be a big gamble...one I personally don't believe RG would take lightly.

Kinda surprised at the Anti Calhoun path. Dude overprerforms every year. He is by no means limited to the Triple options. In fact it gives him unique incite into RPO. If you recall, when He was hired at AFA, he was criticized for not knowing how to run an Offense that could be successful there. I see him as a huge fit

Mel Tucker convinced very high character kids and parents that CU Is the place for their sons. Calhoun is the only guy on the list that trumps Tucker (prior to this MSU debacle) in the character department. This has the highest upside IMO

couple Calhoun with a good OC (Chev) mix in a unique perspective on RPO. This will be huge.

I don’t think anyone is really doubting his coaching competence. The main concerns are over his ability to identify and successfully recruit elite talent nationally.

This isn't really a fair question. AFA has a unique difficulty in recruiting those kinds of players. Additionally, they don't get NFL consideration because, until very recently, they couldn't go until their commitment was completed.

That said they have some advantages too. Not necessarily with 5*s, but you go in to a low 3*s home and say “you come here, you’ll play in a decent conference, you’ll get some national attention (Commander in Chief games) and you’ll have a guaranteed job when you leave. Oh, and have you ever wanted to fly an F16?” That’s a lot better than what CSU is selling.

I don't understand all the anti-Calhoun sentiment...

And I don't understand all the pro-Sark sentiment.

I'll root for whomever gets the job -- but am massively in favor of Calhoun at this stage of those two... Sark will view this as a stepping stone job and be gone the second he has some success -- Calhoun has proven he can recruit in CO, has been successful at every stop, and has shown loyalty over the years. He's proven to be a successful leader.

Sark has question mark after question mark -- what do Alabama fans think of him?

This.

If this means we will have 7-5 and 8-4 seasons every year after two bowl games in 14 years, that would be great!

Then it's not really fair to claim that Troy Calhoun is a good recruiter when you have no ability to back up that claim, is it?

Then it's not really fair to claim that Troy Calhoun is a good recruiter when you have no ability to back up that claim, is it?

How about all of his winning seasons? The point is that he can take inferior talent and win with them... Which is basically exactly what we're asking any CU coach to do...

Sure, it'd be great if we could just recruit SEC-level talent instead -- and I understand the allure of finding someone who can -- but let's not pretend like one well-hyped Mel Tucker recruiting class means that we are suddenly a destination school for recruits.

I'd love it if we could pull a recruiting superstar who also has a track record of success, but I'm not sure that candidate exists.

Mike Bloomfield got national attention when he became an astronaut after playing football at AFA. Is that what you are looking for?

How about all of his winning seasons? The point is that he can take inferior talent and win with them... Which is basically exactly what we're asking any CU coach to do...

Sure, it'd be great if we could just recruit SEC-level talent instead -- and I understand the allure of finding someone who can -- but let's not pretend like one well-hyped Mel Tucker recruiting class means that we are suddenly a destination school for recruits.

I'd love it if we could pull a recruiting superstar who also has a track record of success, but I'm not sure that candidate exists.
He can take inferior talent and beat inferior talent, sure. So can a lot of guys that have no coaching experience in the Pac 12 and no recruiting success. It's not the standard I'm holding the AD to in this search

I do?

Call me crazy - but I'd love it if a coach wanted to stay here and give the program an identity that we've been lacking since Mac.

Lord, have you been living under a rock? Everyone here wishes we find a coach that comes in and wins at high levels and never leaves, everyone in every college town in America wishes for that. I thought MT was the answer and he ****ed us, Im over this ****, just find someone who can win.

We’re not the prom queen here and we’re not picking from prom royalty either. We’re the fat, zit faced kid hoping the fat chick gets drunk enough to give us a handy behind the bleachers in the gym.

He can take inferior talent and beat inferior talent, sure. So can a lot of guys that have no coaching experience in the Pac 12 and no recruiting success. It's not the standard I'm holding the AD to in this search
What standard are you holding them to?

On the list of potential coaches that are realistic choices, Calhoun is probably in the top quartile. We could do a whole lot worse. Problem is, we are at a point where we feel like we should be able to do a lot better, too.

We got a taste of big time recruiting this year and we like it. It’s very much debatable that Calhoun could sustain that level of success.

Lord, have you been living under a rock? Everyone here wishes we find a coach that comes in and wins at high levels and never leaves, everyone in every college town in America wishes for that. I thought MT was the answer and he ****ed us, Im over this ****, just find someone who can win.

We’re not the prom queen here and we’re not picking from prom royalty either. We’re the fat, zit faced kid hoping the fat chick gets drunk enough to give us a handy behind the bleachers in the gym.
Put on your Beer Goggles and get busy!

Chev and staff will set them up and we’ll know em out

How can you all be so obtuse

And there, my friends, is CU Football perfectly captured. Please Claire, just a quick tug.

Back