What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

If you think he's not prepared to implement a Power 5 recruiting strategy, why have at least two SEC programs shown interest in him?

I mean it could easily be the reason he did not get hired.

Everything you are posting on his recruiting is pure hope.

If it is Calhoun it is because our personnel budget is limited. Our AD lost $3 million last year. Mainly because of the McIntyre buyout. So, apply the former HC’s buyout and we’re back to even with a middle of the Pac 12 budget. Maybe we just can’t afford a guy like Sarkisian and have to settle for what we can afford.

I have known our budget is an issue but was hoping some magical donor or donors were going to open their checkbooks. Unfortunately CU doesn’t have such donors apparently.

If you think he's not prepared to implement a Power 5 recruiting strategy, why have at least two SEC programs shown interest in him?

Worth noting that in both situations there was instability within the program due to sanctions (Missouri-end of Pinkel and Tennessee-end of lane).

not a far jump to say these programs were also checking out the safe option (tenured service academy coach)

If you think he's so great, why is he still at AFA like 15 years later when he clearly has shown an interest in interviewing?

And really, Tennessee interviewing him 9 years ago? You know who they hired over him? Derek Dooley who was coming off a sweet 4-8 season at La Tech

If people thought Tucker's initial coaching staff was questionable, cannot wait for Calhoun to hire a staff in February.

I mean it could easily be the reason he did not get hired.

Everything you are posting on his recruiting is pure hope.

Sure. He might have passed on Missouri or been turned down by them because a service academy coach during the protests that campus saw right about the time Pinkel stepped down might not have played well. I could go on. Repeated Power 5 interest shows me people in the industry believe he would be able to recruit at that level if he left Air Force.

Sarkisian and his staff options were much more exciting to think about recruiting for CU. No question. But that doesn’t make Calhoun a bad hire. He not a sexy hire granted, but he has a very good coach. RG knows better than anyone here that recruiting is the life blood of our football team. RG wouldn’t consider Calhoun if he didn’t think he could recruit. The key is going to be the assistants he can bring in. Calhoun will need to upgrade the staff and if he does he should be successful here.
I think they both can be good just different. Thats an understatement.

Sure. He might have passed on Missouri or been turned down by them because a service academy coach during the protests that campus saw right about the time Pinkel stepped down might not have played well. I could go on. Repeated Power 5 interest shows me people in the industry believe he would be able to recruit at that level if he left Air Force.

Interviewing for two jobs in 10+ years is really mild interest.

Interviewing for two jobs in 10+ years is really mild interest.

I'm sure there have been others. I did see he turned down an overture from CU (my assumption is this is before RG came here).

Let me swtich gears and give you my guess as to what's going on right now-I think Steve Sarkisian is plan A. He's more of a Rick George style hire. I thiink Sarkisian wants to run his own show again, and he wants a Pac 12 gig in an ideal world. I don't think he'd say no to this gig if it were offered given what Adam M. has been saying all week. The new HC will make more than Melvin did here and he'll also have a bigger HC pool than Melvin had I also don't think he's a flight risk with a little success. He's a California native who went to school in Utah, and he hadn't coached east of the Mississippi until he went to Alabama. I also think his fight with alcohol is a problem for him in the context of his pursuit of HC opportunities-he's enough of a lightning rod to where he could take the AD that hires him down if he has a relapse.

Here's what a Troy Calhoun hire tells me in short (I hope this won't be relevant because we'll be talking about Sarkisian taking over tomorrow)-RG doesn't think Steve Sarkisian is sober enough to run his own show after meeting with him. There was a rumor going around earlier in the week (I heard it from a donor here I know, and it did make it to 247) that Mississippi State passed on him for that reason. If Calhoun's the guy, I can live with it.

I mean I guess we'll all live with it, but hot damn talk about a wet blanket on the program. He's going to have to win and win quickly to get anyone on board.

Dude. Waive the white flag already. "**** in one and and wish in the other" as they say. It's all speculation and wishful thinking. It would ****ing suck if he was the guy.

You can think that way-I'm just doing the same thing you all told me to do when I pointed out some of the flaws with Melvin (B1G guy with very little experience in our footprint and a job hopper to name two) last year (and got blasted for it in the process).......trusting Rick George to make this decision

I think its just as likely RG thought after meeting Sark that he wasn't sober enough to handle being a head coach if Vic is right.

You don't think Rick George (who you among others told me to trust when he hired that ****ing snake 14 months ago) hasn't probed Troy Calhoun to see if he's got a plan to recruit at this level? I sure do. Like Brent Briggeman said on twitter-Calhoun filled half their class with 3 star guys. At a service academy. Look at that kid from Erie who went to Dartmouth-He was clear about not wanting to go a service academy. Air Force made his top 2 because he was that impressed with Troy Calhoun. If this is the move, I'm going to trust that RG knows what he's doing.

1. Air Force didn’t fill their class with 3 stars. They had some lower level 3 stars agree to attend a service academy among an uncapped class.

2. If you’re sincere that a guy who chose to go to Ivy meh team Dartmouth over Air Force is an example of awesome recruiting, you don’t have any idea about what it means to recruit really good players.

3. There’s nothing to trust. TC has zero experience recruiting top talent to a P5 school. Hiring a coach like this means that we care more about not being a jilted lover than winning big.

You’re butt hurt about MT leaving. That’s fine. Continue to be hurt. Don’t impose your pain on the rest of us.

Back