What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Butch no thanks but why such a negative reaction on Sark? Just curious.

He’s young, has a ton of experience (much of it on the west coast and in our conference), and he was actually pretty successful as a HC until his very public struggle with alcohol got the best of him. That was 5 years ago, and from all accounts he’s been on the straight and narrow since then and been a very successful coach again. He’s the kind of guy who I’d love to give another HC opportunity to.
I like second, third, fourth chances, and I know Alcoholism is a disease, but he is not the right person for this program

Butch no thanks but why such a negative reaction on Sark? Just curious.

He’s young, has a ton of experience (much of it on the west coast and in our conference), and he was actually pretty successful as a HC until his very public struggle with alcohol got the best of him. That was 5 years ago, and from all accounts he’s been on the straight and narrow since then and been a very successful coach again. He’s the kind of guy who I’d love to give another HC opportunity to.

Sarkisian deserves another chance but it can't be here. Id rather him go prove he can run a program at the G5 level first. He was perfect for CSU.

Very unorthodox. Maybe you find a guy that’s been a head coach and is now a coordinator. Someone who doesn’t want the title but would enjoy the process behind Chev.

CU is in an unenviable position right now. Nobody should be picking a ****ing coach in ****ing February. God i hate Mel Tucker. I want to go to MSU next year just to throw **** at him. ****ing douche bag. Weeks away from spring practices and spring games with no direction. A possible entirely new scheme for everything, were so ****ed.
Agree, but I have faith in RG and LC. We will get this right.

Why? Not trying to argue for Sark but why don’t you think he’s the right person?
Marketing baggage on ESPN and PAC12 Network
Do not want the broadcast to always start with "There is Colorado Coach Steve Sarkisain, remember when he was drunk, and blah, blah, blah"
Needs to be a clean message without disclaimers
Tucker now has marketing baggage in one swoop

He's making $2m/year with retention bonuses of $200k his first two years of the extension (started in 2018) and $400k over the last 3 years. So he is essentially making over $2.1m/year to be DC at Clemson. CU isn't likely not doubling that, but as I said above (and onealcd), none of those perks matter if he has the desire to be a Head Coach.
According to the figures Clemson reported to the USA Today Venables made $2.2 Million, last year with $195,000 in bonuses, meaning he made as much as Mel Tucker did.....He was the second highest paid coordinator behind Dave Aranda from LSU, who is now the head coach at Baylor.

Kap turned down better jobs. Did he know this was coming? Turned down Mizzu and Auburn.... please this was done weeks ago.

According to the figures Clemson reported to the USA Today Venables made $2.2 Million, last year with $195,000 in bonuses.....He was the second highest paid coordinator behind Dave Aranda from LSU, who is now the head coach at Baylor.
Venables has not moved or entertained jobs anywhere, he is not interested, and the SEC could pay him $6 mill tomorrow

Marketing baggage on ESPN and PAC12 Network
Do not want the broadcast to always start with "There is Colorado Coach Steve Sarkisain, remember when he was drunk, and blah, blah, blah"
Needs to be a clean message without disclaimers
Tucker now has marketing baggage in one swoop
Thanks for the explanation. I’m far less worried about those things and actually think he’d be viewed as a sympathetic figure who people would root for having gotten his life back together but fair enough.

Ok, so maybe we don’t double his income, but a significant increase is still reasonable. Bump from $2.2MM to $3.7MM?

I know this is a long shot, but why not shoot for the stars? He has connections, has been around two of the most successful coaches not named Saban or Meyer of this generation. He should know how to run a program.
Or maybe he simply doesn’t want to deal with the BS that comes with being HC. I can respect that. But doesn’t it make sense to at least ask?

if true.....f*** off Saban! Stay in your own lane. Hope you get rolled again by either Clemson or LSU again and you retire!

Alabama HC Nick Saban "had a role" in Michigan State's sudden HC hiring process, writes Sam Cooper of Yahoo Sports.

Venables is not coming. He is content being a defensive coordinator at a top team and when a very very good opening comes up he will move on.

I'll throw a name out there- How about Chuck Pagano?

Boulder guy, tons of college experience before the pros.

Wilner has an article today where he recommended Sarkisian. Of all the retreads, he’s the one I’m not opposed to. He was generally successful at both Washington and USC, and was ultimately fired not because of coaching/recruiting but alcoholism.
Yup, and a great recruiter. He is right on top of the list with some of the coordinators.

Wilner has an article today where he recommended Sarkisian. Of all the retreads, he’s the one I’m not opposed to. He was generally successful at both Washington and USC, and was ultimately fired not because of coaching/recruiting but alcoholism.

I read that, and it changed my take a little bit. Still not thrilled with the idea of another Saban clone, but two conditions with his contract. One, we can move on from him for nothing if he relapses. Two, he needs to agree to a buyout of at least $10m if he wants to move on.

From ESPN Insider - USC offensive coordinator Graham Harrell: The 34-year-old Harrell is a rising star who will be on the radar for Power 5 opportunities until he lands one. He spoke with Washington State about its coaching vacancy and could be a good fit for jobs in the Pac-12 and Big 12, where he starred at Texas Tech. His offense and recruiting connections in Texas make him an intriguing candidate for Colorado.
I don’t know much about him but I’m intrigued, especially if he is a recruiter with connections in California and the west coast/Hawaii.

High risk/reward?

Thanks for the explanation. I’m far less worried about those things and actually think he’d be viewed as a sympathetic figure who people would root for having gotten his life back together but fair enough.
I would be also hesitant about the BoR and their BS reasons for stalling or not supporting things.
I wish him the best on his road back, but he probably had some enablers at both USC and Washington that could have helped him sooner

No, but Tony Elliott (Clemson's OC) may come.

That is more realistic IMO, but I think it would be a post-2020 regular season move; I'd be shocked if Elliott were to move at this point in the game. Our co-offensive coordinator just left for the South Florida job which resulted in the BOT approving a new salary to make Elliott the highest paid OC in the country. He's also a former Clemson player so I don't think he'd up & leave Clemson without an OC. I believe he'd do it "the right way".

Last edited:
Back