What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

FWIW hearing from a friend at Barstool that CU is kicking the tires on Jason Candle. Buyout is 450k I believe. He was a hot candidate two years ago but I guess they didn’t have a great season last year bc I haven’t heard his name lately.
CU Barstool or national? Because the CU viceroy seems about 3 days behind on everything, so I'd personally question their connections.

Crossed my mind. But I doubt he wants to deal with this **** again.
He was on Altitude yesterday afternoon and this is the first question they asked him. He laughed, said he already has a boss (his wife) and besides, he's never getting the call. Not gonna happen.

I will say this about EB. While the stint under JE went poorly, EB did Not burn bridges when the staff was let go. That staff was set up to fail and a lot has changed in 8 years for all involved. The AD is different. Resources are different. EB is much different from a coaching perspective and as a leader.

I am not saying he would be my top choice but he certainly would be in my top 5. He was the best recruiter on Gary’s staff and you could see the drop off when he and JE left for UCLA. Recruiting for GB fell off tremendously.

Bottom line, if there is interest from EB, he is head and tails better than Chev and would be someone the kids would end up loving. I also think he would win a lot of games and the Buffs would continue to become even more hard nosed under him.

My $0.02 and probably not worth the two pennies
I think the players would really rally around EB as head coach and attrition would be minimal. Still not sure that's what I want, but I've got to believe he's the front runner if he wants the job.

One other name to keep in mind, I’m told, is Ohio State running backs coach Tony Alford. He played college ball at Colorado State and graduated from high school in Colorado Springs. He has been a key member of a lot of top teams and has long been regarded as a really good recruiter.

Heh.

I'm about as far out of the loop as any person on this site I'd imagine, but, anything imminent re Chiv? CU Football page just posted his career highlights and talked about how he's a true buff (maybe the interim thing), and the Alfano tweet this afternoon (maybe the interim thing...just late?). Im reading too far into this I'd imagine, yes?

I'm about as far out of the loop as any person on this site I'd imagine, but, anything imminent re Chiv? CU Football page just posted his career highlights and talked about how he's a true buff (maybe the interim thing), and the Alfano tweet this afternoon (maybe the interim thing...just late?). Im reading too far into this I'd imagine, yes?
He's been named interim HC and will likely get an interview for the permanent job. That's all anyone knows at this point.

But the SEC isn't coming calling again unless he has a lot of success here. I'm good with that.
After what just happened I would not count on another team not coming try to buy whoever we hire. We just had a 5-7 coach who had notable bad decisions that messed up games against Air Force, Zona and USC get poached from us and is now the top 12 coach paid coach.

Some of you have warned about the SEC / B1G pulling away financially.

My eyes are opened now.

Troy Calhoun? Thoughts?
I like him but A) I don't think he wants to leave. B) I think what he does works really well for Air Force but it is hard to see it work here. Everything about Air Force is unique.

We would have a whole lot of question marks. Nothing that would impress anyone. Also I don't think our current players would be happy.

Does Chev really think he's going to land the full-time job by virtue of retweets? It's somewhat concerning to me and seems like he might bolt/create disunion in the locker room if RG hires someone else.
Over 50 since he got interim job. There’s a right amount to have a presence and not be annoying

Does Chev really think he's going to land the full-time job by virtue of retweets? It's somewhat concerning to me and seems like he might bolt/create disunion in the locker room if RG hires someone else.

I don't mind it. Him wanting the job is good. He's mroe than likely not going anywhere (he's not following Mel), and he's a good enough recruiter to where he can make sure the guys who are here already and the incoming freshman are getting what they need while holding this class together. If this search drags out (which I don't expect), I'd have no problem giving him a 3-4 year contract with a smaller buyout to protect the school.

If we're going outside guys who have ties to the program (so I'm excluding EB and Chev here), no coaching nomad resumes. If we look at Mel as an example-10 stops in 23 years with 4 years being his longest time in one spot.

If we're going outside guys who have ties to the program (so I'm excluding EB and Chev here), no coaching nomad resumes. If we look at Mel as an example-10 stops in 23 years with 4 years being his longest time in one spot.
I see two things wrong with this...A) find me assistant coaches at any level that have been doing it for 23 years that don't have at least 10 stops, and B) That's how you build your network, which you will need to create a decent AC web at your new school. If you don't have connections, and you don't have money, how are you going to hire anyone?

I see two things wrong with this...A) find me assistant coaches at any level that have been doing it for 23 years that don't have at least 10 stops, and B) That's how you build your network, which you will need to create a decent AC web at your new school. If you don't have connections, and you don't have money, how are you going to hire anyone?

A) Until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming EB is our #1 candidate. He's had four stops in 19 years-here, UCLA, the Vikings, and the Chiefs.
B) For the half a million moves Tucker made in his career, he filled 4 AC spots with guys who were UGA QCs in 2018 if memory serves (Michalowski, Johnson, Summers, and Tillman). So much for his network. Two, we're better off keeping the bulk of the ACs in place here through 2020. Michigan State isn't interested in anybody other than Kap (who I want to keep) and Summers (who I don't care about). I'd ideally like them to take Johnson off our hands-makes it easier to keep Chev happy if he doesn't get the HC job. Tillman and Michalowski (he shows promise as a recruiter IMO) I don't know enough about to say anything on. I think if these guys want to stay, they should at least through the 2020 season. We're too close to spring ball to deal with a staff makeover.

Back