What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

This is not a sexy hire, at all. Most kids will be scratching their heads at who this guy is. A lot of what goes into recruiting is name recognition and who you’ve coached into NFL players. We saw exactly that with Jason Harris (please don’t leave Jason! 🤢🙏) when he said he chose CU because what Tucker has done. This guys floated around as a WR coach mostly and hasn’t been an OC in 21 years outside of his disastrous year at Vanderbilt, disastrous might be stating it lightly.

The biggest thing is does he have any cred to sell these kids? Outside of a WR coach in the NFL? Yikes. I thought Bienemy would be a bad hire but this feels even worse. This smells of desperation and really reaching on RG’s part. I know he didn’t have many options here but a NFL WR coach who hasn’t really been in college consecutively for 13 years?

I hope I’m wrong. I hope I’m wrong because I love CU and I don’t want this **** to continue. But **** man this feels like dark days are ahead, I’m afraid to witness this. If you see the transfer portal start to fill, we’re royally ****ed.
My friend, you're starting to match your avatar.

Yep, I understand people have some questions about this hire, but really am blown away with how much people hate this hire. I think there is great potential and he has proven More at this level than anything we’ve seen in a long time.
I’m in the same boat. It’s a really SOLID hire. 6-6 floors, 10-2 ceilings I’m cool with. If we go 6-6 next year with a win over usc people will pipe down.

Since 2005 we have only had two seasons above .500. Only ranked in 2005, 2016, and 2018. Only three bowl games and lost all of them. Also five different head coaches.

We are a mediocre program in a mediocre conference with a mediocre budget. Karl Dorrell just might be the guy to get us above .500 seasons and I don’t think he will bolt if he has moderate success. Besides wins I think the football program needs some stability in the HC position.

After sleeping on it I’m happy with the hire. We could have done much worse.

Since 2005 we have only had two seasons above .500. Only ranked in 2005, 2016, and 2018. Only three bowl games and lost all of them. Also five different head coaches.

We are a mediocre program in a mediocre conference with a mediocre budget. Karl Dorrell just might be the guy to get us above .500 seasons and I don’t think he will bolt if he has moderate success. Besides wins I think the football program needs some stability in the HC position.

After sleeping on it I’m happy with the hire. We could have done much worse.
I disagree that we could’ve done much worse. We’re paying the next HC $4 million a season. That will get you entry into many doors.

I disagree that we could’ve done much worse. We’re paying the next HC $4 million a season. That will get you entry into many doors.

That line of thinking makes me think no one wants to come coach at CU and if that is the case we have a lot more to worry about as fans.

Pac 12 (especially CU budget) is keeping more doors shut than open, unless we are pulling from G5 programs and lower.

It's evident based on the facts that the Big 10 doubled our coach's salary, the NFL can match while providing opportunities for coaches to work about half as many hours as CFB HC's, the SEC could match our offers to their Co-ordinators.

Pulling an AHC from the NFL with deep coaching ties, Head Coaching experience, and a connection to CU is a great move by RG.

Last edited:
Pac 12 (especially CU budget) is keeping more doors shut than open, unless we are pulling from G5 programs and lower.

It's evident, based on the facts that the Big 10 doubled our coach's salary, the NFL can match while providing opportunities for coaches to work about half as many hours as CFB HC's, the SEC could match our offers to their Co-ordinators.

Pulling an AHC from the NFL with deep coaching ties, Head Coaching experience, and a connection to CU is a great move by RG.
A “great” move it is not. There’s zero evidence to suggest KD will be anything more than below average in the conference as a HC in recruiting or record.

We were told by the AD that the CU program expects to compete for P12 Championships, play in upper tier bowls, and vie for a CFP Championship. This hire does not fit within the parameters of those expectations.

I’ve donated many, many dollars to this AD to support the above vision. Now, I’m being told that I need to moderate my expectations and that this is a “macintyre like hire.”

Which is it? Do we expect the program once again become a top 25 program? Or, should we simply settle for mediocrity? The AD answered that question by hiring KD.

Y’all can spin this all you want to make yourselves feel better. This hire does not match the expectations the AD told me to have when he asks for our money.

A “great” move it is not. There’s zero evidence to suggest KD will be anything more than below average in the conference as a HC in recruiting or record.

We were told by the AD that the CU program expects to compete for P12 Championships, play in upper tier bowls, and vie for a CFP Championship. This hire does not fit within the parameters of those expectations.

I’ve donated many, many dollars to this AD to support the above vision. Now, I’m being told that I need to moderate my expectations and that this is a “macintyre like hire.”

Which is it? Do we expect the program once again become a top 25 program? Or, should we simply settle for mediocrity? The AD answered that question by hiring KD.

Y’all can spin this all you want to make yourselves feel better. This hire does not match the expectations the AD told me to have when he asks for our money.

Let's make a quick comparison.

Matt Campbell would have been an insane hire, right? We would have all been swinging from chandeliers and poping bottles of champagne at the prospect of pulling Matt Campbell from Iowa State.

So don’t give him your $. Let others make that same call for themselves.

Matt Campbell would have been an insane hire, right? We would have all been swinging from chandeliers and poping bottles of champagne at the prospect of pulling Matt Campbell from Iowa State.
Looking ahead...

If M Campbell wins 9 games this year, he will have as many wins in 5 seasons at Iowa State as Karl Dorrell had at UCLA in 5 seasons. (35)

They are comparable in terms of recruiting compared to their conference.
They are not comparable in terms of coaching.

I will not be giving again this season. I was sold a bill of goods. The current hire does not match the expectations that the AD told me (and others) were his expectations for the football program.
Why so bitter? It’s your choice not to give, that’s fine, but CU did not have control over one bad actor.
If it were a scandal like PSU or Baylor and the administration was complicit, I’d get it. But, this is my life long team and I hold a degree from there. One asshole coach isn’t going to change my support. He left the program better than he found it.

Dorrell seems equivalent to many other options and there’s already a connection there. Maybe it will work out.

Man you should go to a psychologist because is sounds like you have borderline personality disorder. KD is much needed stability.

Lol this might be the stupidest reply I’ve ever seen online in my life. Impressive.

The guy had a winning record in this ****ing conference as a HC!!! He went 10-2 one year and had one losing season!

Inspiring. Was that this decade? Or last decade? Oh it was the decade before? Cool. And why hasn’t he been hired since?

My friend, you're starting to match your avatar.

By saying this hire sucks? Interesting.

It’s hilarious to watch you all talk yourself into this hire. If I told you 3 weeks ago in 3 weeks Karl Dorrell would be our head coach you would have laughed, said who the **** is that and said in MT I trust. I get it, you all want to find the positives to calm your precious little psyches. This is not a good hire and it sucks we’re in this position.

Looking ahead...

If M Campbell wins 9 games this year, he will have as many wins in 5 seasons at Iowa State as Karl Dorrell had at UCLA in 5 seasons. (35)
That does not apply sound statistical logic by ignoring outlier abilities to influence the sample. Aside from one magic season, KD was 25-25 at UCLA. Aside from one shyt first season at Iowa State, Campbell is 23-16.

People keep saying this. But we were outside the normal hiring cycle. You can only evaluate this hire in the context of other candidates that CU could have actually hired. I don't see any hire we could have made that fits within the parameters of those expectations. You don't expect to draft a Peyton Manning with the last pick in the draft.

That means next to nothing without context.
Taking a 5 year glance at the records of two P5 schools seems like relevant context to me.

Each situation has their own unique challenges and variables. But it's a fair comparison to make in order to put coaching expectations in perspective.

It feels like a lot of allbuffers are ready to jump ship on this hire because KD is not an up and comer and/or is perceived to have below average success as a HC. When looking at win percentage .56 is not below average and recruiting history (30th recruiting class in the nation) is also not below average

AND is a far cry from anything the Buffs have experienced since GB

@manhattanbuf gets it. This hire is nothing more than settling for mediocrity.

By saying this hire sucks? Interesting.

It’s hilarious to watch you all talk yourself into this hire. If I told you 3 weeks ago in 3 weeks Karl Dorrell would be our head coach you would have laughed, said who the **** is that and said in MT I trust. I get it, you all want to find the positives to calm your precious little psyches. This is not a good hire and it sucks we’re in this position.
By being a wee bit dramatic in your assessment and despair.

I, for one, am not talking myself into this hire. I would have felt better if we'd hired Sark, for sure. There are some questions with KD. There are some positives. All around I give it a "meh" and will really want to see who his assistants are. But I'll give it a chance. He's the coach, so fretting over what I think his team will look like seven months down the road isn't going to do much for me.

Why so bitter? It’s your choice not to give, that’s fine, but CU did not have control over one bad actor.
If it were a scandal like PSU or Baylor and the administration was complicit, I’d get it. But, this is my life long team and I hold a degree from there. One asshole coach isn’t going to change my support. He left the program better than he found it.

Dorrell seems equivalent to many other options and there’s already a connection there. Maybe it will work out.
I am bitter because I’ve given many, many dollars to an AD who stated that the expectations of the program are:

1. Play in and win upper tier bowl games.
2. Play for and win the P12 Championship.
3. Play for a CFP National Championship.

To gird these expectations, the AD told us that we are to recruit at the highest level.

This hire does not meet any of those criteria. There is zero evidence to suggest KD will have Colorado competing for any type of championship or recruiting at any level other than the bottom third of the conference.

People keep saying this. But we were outside the normal hiring cycle. You can only evaluate this hire in the context of other candidates that CU could have actually hired. I don't see any hire we could have made that fits within the parameters of those expectations. You don't expect to draft a Peyton Manning with the last pick in the draft.
There are definitely many, many other current assistants I’d rather gamble on than a coach who was given ample time, resources, and realistic expectations but got worse as his time wore on.

Back