What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

That does not apply sound statistical logic by ignoring outlier abilities to influence the sample. Aside from one magic season, KD was 25-25 at UCLA. Aside from one shyt first season at Iowa State, Campbell is 23-16.
Good point, and this is probably the biggest issue with the hire.

Campbell is on a great positive trajectory whereas KD has not been relevant to college football in recent years.

But, that doesn't mean he will be unsuccessful.

I am excited to see the staff he pulls together and if he can keep Chev as WR coach and recruiting coordinator

Taking a 5 year glance at the records of two P5 schools seems like relevant context to me.

Each situation has their own unique challenges and variables. But it's a fair comparison to make in order to put coaching expectations in perspective.

It feels like a lot of allbuffers are ready to jump ship on this hire because KD is not an up and comer and/or is perceived to have below average success as a HC. When looking at win percentage .56 is not below average and recruiting history (30th recruiting class in the nation) is also not below average

AND is a far cry from anything the Buffs have experienced since GB

That is like saying if two head coaches at Oklahoma and Mississippi State respectively have the same record, it is clearly a relevant comparison because they are both P5 job. Yes, all P5 jobs have unique challenges, but some have a lot more than others.

I am bitter because I’ve given many, many dollars to an AD who stated that the expectations of the program are:

1. Play in and win upper tier bowl games.
2. Play for and win the P12 Championship.
3. Play for a CFP National Championship.

To gird these expectations, the AD told us that we are to recruit at the highest level.

This hire does not meet any of those criteria. There is zero evidence to suggest KD will have Colorado competing for any type of championship or recruiting at any level other than the bottom third of the conference.
Fair enough. Dorrell’s first task will be to get buy in from the most recent class. Then, we’ll see about his recruiting after that. I’m willing to watch what happens.

I am going to hold off a good portion of my judgement of Dorrell until I see what kind of staff he assembles... Obviously, any head coach has to assemble a strong coaching staff as a part of a successful program, and to be fair, I will acknowledge that he's facing an uphill battle trying to assemble one at the end of February, but he needs to show me something with what he comes up with or I'm going to be pretty discouraged...

Lol this might be the stupidest reply I’ve ever seen online in my life. Impressive.

Inspiring. Was that this decade? Or last decade? Oh it was the decade before? Cool. And why hasn’t he been hired since?
By saying this hire sucks? Interesting.

It’s hilarious to watch you all talk yourself into this hire. If I told you 3 weeks ago in 3 weeks Karl Dorrell would be our head coach you would have laughed, said who the **** is that and said in MT I trust. I get it, you all want to find the positives to calm your precious little psyches. This is not a good hire and it sucks we’re in this position.

Why so bitter? It’s your choice not to give, that’s fine, but CU did not have control over one bad actor.
If it were a scandal like PSU or Baylor and the administration was complicit, I’d get it. But, this is my life long team and I hold a degree from there. One asshole coach isn’t going to change my support. He left the program better than he found it.

Dorrell seems equivalent to many other options and there’s already a connection there. Maybe it will work out.

I was hoping for much more than a “maybe it will work out” hire.

I am bitter because I’ve given many, many dollars to an AD who stated that the expectations of the program are:

To gird these expectations, the AD told us that we are to recruit at the highest level.

This hire does not meet any of those criteria. There is zero evidence to suggest KD will have Colorado competing for any type of championship or recruiting at any level other than the bottom third of the conference.
You should call RG, tell him about how much money you give him and then explain what you would have done, specifically, to hire a coach more in line with what you want.

A “great” move it is not. There’s zero evidence to suggest KD will be anything more than below average in the conference as a HC in recruiting or record.

We were told by the AD that the CU program expects to compete for P12 Championships, play in upper tier bowls, and vie for a CFP Championship. This hire does not fit within the parameters of those expectations.

I’ve donated many, many dollars to this AD to support the above vision. Now, I’m being told that I need to moderate my expectations and that this is a “macintyre like hire.”

Which is it? Do we expect the program once again become a top 25 program? Or, should we simply settle for mediocrity? The AD answered that question by hiring KD.

Y’all can spin this all you want to make yourselves feel better. This hire does not match the expectations the AD told me to have when he asks for our money.
Exactly. Either RG has been lying to us or the headwinds facing the program are too much for him to overcome.

Either way there is little hope for this program outside major changes to the Pac12 or recruiting our own Phil Knight.

That is like saying if two head coaches at Oklahoma and Mississippi State respectively have the same record, it is clearly a relevant comparison because they are both P5 job. Yes, all P5 jobs have unique challenges, but some have a lot more than others.
I would argue that the challenges of meeting expectations at UCLA from 2003 - 2007 were greater than Iowa State currently.

Competing with your neighbor Pete Carroll's USC every year had to be one of the more daunting tasks in recent history of CFB

I would argue that the challenges of meeting expectations at UCLA from 2003 - 2007 were greater than Iowa State currently.

Competing with your neighbor Pete Carroll's USC every year had to be one of the more daunting tasks in recent history of CFB

Not saying it was easy, but I think people are getting a little too wrapped up in the "he had to compete with Carroll" narrative. That explains why he was not winning Pac-12 championships, it does not explain why he was 6-6 most seasons with four conference losses in every season but one.

My biggest issue to a majority of what I have read is that we (buff fans) need to adjust our short term expectations in order to build towards long term excellence.

KD can stabilize this program and brings more experience both in coaching, player development, and recruiting the west coast than many of the up and comers that were on the short list.

If we can get to Bowl games (even in Shreveport) that will have more impact on recruiting than a flashy name or coach-shorts.

You should call RG, tell him about how much money you give him and then explain what you would have done, specifically, to hire a coach more in line with what you want.
This is a dreadful argument. I’ve given a lot of money based upon their stated vision for the CU AD.

It is literally RG and LC’s jobs to take the department’s money and execute that vision. This is not an execution of anything resembling that vision.

Now we know the real problem. You're not giving enough money to hire the coach you think CU can afford.

No one knows how this will turn out. USC fans hated the Pete Carrol hire with similar reasons. Not saying that will be the case here.

Positives I see with Dorrel

- Head coaching experience at the P5 level. Knows what it takes to run a college program. Seems to have been a focus of the search.
- Definitely knows the X & Os of football.
- He will relate well to players and will do well in the living room. When he was at CU before he was known as a good recruiter.
- Familiar with CU and knows the challenges.
- Knows the recruiting footprint.
- He knows the importance of recruiting. He spent enough time in CFB to understand that.

Negatives
- Not much experience at the college level in the past decade.
- Recruiting concerns...is he committed to it.
- Career track over last decade gives some pause.

No one knows how this will turn out. USC fans hated the Pete Carrol hire with similar reasons. Not saying that will be the case here.

Positives I see with Dorrel

- Head coaching experience at the P5 level. Knows what it takes to run a college program. Seems to have been a focus of the search.
- Definitely knows the X & Os of football.
- He will relate well to players and will do well in the living room. When he was at CU before he was known as a good recruiter.
- Familiar with CU and knows the challenges.
- Knows the recruiting footprint.
- He knows the importance of recruiting. He spent enough time in CFB to understand that.

Negatives
- Not much experience at the college level in the past decade.
- Recruiting concerns...is he committed to it.
- Career track over last decade gives some pause.

What about the negatives of being fired from UCLA and also the negatives about being fired from Vandy after one season as coordinator? People here are saying that it depends on him getting great assistants here. This is not something I wanted wit this search but with the results, I would have preferred DC being coach for 1 year as an interim and finding a great coach next season.

What about the negatives of being fired from UCLA and also the negatives about being fired from Vandy after one season as coordinator? People here are saying that it depends on him getting great assistants here. This is not something I wanted wit this search but with the results, I would have preferred DC being coach for 1 year as an interim and finding a great coach next season.
Four coaches in four years would be awful for our program.

So you were ok with 4 coaches in 4 years? Wow.

Four coaches in four years would be awful for our program.
Agreed but I’m concerned about 4 years with this hire. If there was even an upward trajectory to jump on board with, I’d be on board. I don’t see any big positive momentum that we’re getting with this hire. Seems more like we’re ignoring that other programs let him go because they weren’t seeing the trajectory or momentum to excite a fan base or being in great recruits.

If this is the hire, our AD did a poor job of setting up expectations. Very poor.

He wasn’t fired from UCLA because he failed. He had a winning record and made Bowl games every seasons. He was fired because he could never get over the 6-7 win hump outside of the 10 win season and USC was a top 2-3 program in the country during that stretch.

As for Vandy, they scored 18 ppg with him as OC in 2014, and scored 18.4 ppg in 2015 without him. They scored 18 ppg in 2019. They had a nice year in 2018 where they scored 40 ppg, but that seems to be an outlier. Long story short, Vanderbilt football ****ing sucks and it seems to be that multiple OCs can also only score 18 ppg there.

His time at Vandy is my biggest reason for concern, and also a hard one to judge. Being Vandy in the SEC is like if Idaho State joined the PAC.

None of us know jack $hit!! We all need to take a deep breath and relax and see how this plays out and his staff etc. RG was put in a horrible spot and he tried to land a big fish, but CU is NOT a destination anymore. We need to face the facts and get someone in here that will provide stability. It's getting to be borderline ridiculous all the coaches we go through. Just my .02

He wasn’t fired from UCLA because he failed. He had a winning record and made Bowl games every seasons. He was fired because he could never get over the 6-7 win hump outside of the 10 win season and USC was a top 2-3 program in the country during that stretch.

As for Vandy, they scored 18 ppg with him as OC in 2014, and scored 18.4 ppg in 2015 without him. They scored 18 ppg in 2019. They had a nice year in 2018 where they scored 40 ppg, but that seems to be an outlier. Long story short, Vanderbilt football ****ing sucks and it seems to be that multiple OCs can also only score 18 ppg there.
So, he did nothing to elevate Vandy? And we expect him to elevate crappy ole CU football?

Inspiring

This take with DC as a one year interim has to be one of the most stupid I have ever seen. You are talking about shutting down recruiting and staff bailing left and right. You will effectively burn it to the ground.

Go tell RG you want your money back.

Your first paragraph does not make any sense whatsoever.

Back