What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

By being a wee bit dramatic in your assessment and despair.

I, for one, am not talking myself into this hire. I would have felt better if we'd hired Sark, for sure. There are some questions with KD. There are some positives. All around I give it a "meh" and will really want to see who his assistants are. But I'll give it a chance. He's the coach, so fretting over what I think his team will look like seven months down the road isn't going to do much for me.

Okay, I can respect your opinion, can you respect mine? I’m not inspired by this and I’m afraid we’re about to spiral back into where we were years ago. It’s just my opinion. If he succeeds, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.

This take with DC as a one year interim has to be one of the most stupid I have ever seen. You are talking about shutting down recruiting and staff bailing left and right. You will effectively burn it to the ground.

I am worried that this hire by our AD will result in that very thing- a program burned to the ground and recruiting being terrible.

Basically this. People here are so OK with with EB and Jim Mora Jr but somehow Dorrell is some crazy failure

It mis-states the reasoning behind it.

In order for me to look at retread HCs, they have to have shown growth since the failure. That's easily handled with EB.

Mora is a harder case to make. I actually can't make it with him.

I also have a strong preference for brash and charismatic with a football leader. Dorell's personality is more Tom Landry or Tom Osborne.

Okay, I can respect your opinion, can you respect mine? I’m not inspired by this and I’m afraid we’re about to spiral back into where we were years ago. It’s just my opinion. If he succeeds, I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong.
I respect your opinion. I hope you can respect my opinion of your opinion. And I will in turn promise to respect your opinion of my opinion of your opinion.

It mis-states the reasoning behind it.

In order for me to look at retread HCs, they have to have shown growth since the failure. That's easily handled with EB.

Mora is a harder case to make. I actually can't make it with him.

I also have a strong preference for brash and charismatic with a football leader. Dorell's personality is more Tom Landry or Tom Osborne.
But if Jim Mora were the hire, you’d be a lot more enthusiastic right now

So, he did nothing to elevate Vandy? And we expect him to elevate crappy ole CU football?

Inspiring
Well, I know little to nothing about his time at Vanderbilt, but he was only there one year. I have no idea why he was fired. Could be one of many reasons.

I guess it’s all relative to expectations, but averaging 7 wins/year across 5 seasons and 5 bowl games with a 10 win season thrown in there is not failing as a CFB HC, it’s just not winning big.
He failed to meet the expectations of the job and was subsequently fired. Stop with the mental gymnastics that somehow he didn’t actually fail at UCLA and it’s this strange one off where a really successful coach was mistakenly let go.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have our AD hire a coach who has some exciting positive trajectory or momentum. What is exciting or makes you feel like we’re headed toward greatness with this hire?

Well, I know little to nothing about his time at Vanderbilt, but he was only there one year. I have no idea why he was fired. Could be one of many reasons.
There were many:

1) 1.7 TDs per game
2) 288 ypg.
3) 50.4% completion percentage.
4) 2.4 turnovers a game

Just to list a few...

FWIW, on Reddit r/CFB there have been some rumblings about Ronnie Bradford joining KD's staff as a DB coach. Was last at USC not that long ago IIRC. I wasn't wowed by the hire of KD but hopefully, his connections are better than Mr. Integrity's and he brings in a slew of strong recruiters/position coaches.

Energy guys too. Dorrell is a good coach-but he's not fiery at all.

Realistically, KD was probably not anyone’s first choice. On the other hand, his hire does not have me reaching for the panic button like I would with Calhoun and some other candidates.

As others have said, we will see a host of positive and/or negative signs here soon. Summers and Chev as coordinators and that panic button starts blinking but I still wouldn’t hit it until after signing day next year.

I respect your opinion. I hope you can respect my opinion of your opinion. And I will in turn promise to respect your opinion of my opinion of your opinion.

Cute. Just remember, just because you disagree with someone, it doesn’t make them wrong. It’s also not your job to tell them how to think or feel.

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have our AD hire a coach who has some exciting positive trajectory or momentum. What is exciting or makes you feel like we’re headed toward greatness with this hire?
Under normal circumstances, yes.
These aren’t normal circumstances. Tucker really ****ed CU. Our options were very limited. To use a baseball analogy, We swung for the fences with Sark and whiffed. We choked up on the bat and are now just trying to get a single, maybe a double.

My number one reason for renewing and continuing support is the young men who committed to the program. I support them. They took a punch to the gut and have a lot more invested than any of us do. Bitch and whine all you want, but you have a lot less to be upset about than the players and their families. Why the hell do human beings get such a cathartic feeling by complaining?

Karl Dorrell is starting with a clean slate in my mind. There are a lot of examples of people who had either been average or failed in their past who, given the right circumstance, have risen to a higher level and excelled.

Just remember, just because you disagree with someone, it doesn’t make them wrong. It’s also not your job to tell them how to think or feel.
1) No ****
2) I'm not. I'm giving my opinion of your opinion. Untwist your panties.

Cheer up big guy. I get why you're hesitant/ skeptical.

But if Jim Mora were the hire, you’d be a lot more enthusiastic right now
I was willing to settle for him as a Dorrell equivalent as a HC on the field because he has more success as a recruiter, he'd been recruiting much more recently, he has a strong coaching network, and he can get national media attention and buy-in.

Further, I assume we're committed to Summers as DC this year. Mora is a good defensive mind as both a coordinator and with DBs -- an area I believe our staff as composed will benefit from mentoring by the HC. (It was the only reason I was able to accept those assistants in the first place -- we had Tucker as HC.)

Dorrell is not a recruiter. He is not a salesman. He will not move the needle with media or recruits. And I seriously question the type of staff he can attract.

Remember, the ability to attract recruits, attract assistant coaches and attract fans to the games is not something that CU is able to do organically. Our HC has to be able to do that through the gravity he creates.

There are definitely many, many other current assistants I’d rather gamble on than a coach who was given ample time, resources, and realistic expectations but got worse as his time wore on.
I am sick of F'ing gambling. Give me consistency. We hire Sark (who was my #1 choice based on the realistic choices) we go 7-5 or 8-4 and he doesn't relapse he is gone to the first Big 10 or SEC job that opens next year and we are right back in the same position. Here is a thought, lets string together a few winning or even .500 seasons and the coaching situation will take care of its self. The only way to do that is not have coaches jumping ship or being epic failures that we need to pay to not coach. I like the hire.

I am sick of F'ing gambling. Give me consistency. We hire Sark (who was my #1 choice based on the realistic choices) we go 7-5 or 8-4 and he doesn't relapse he is gone to the first Big 10 or SEC job that opens next year and we are right back in the same position. Here is a thought, lets string together a few winning or even .500 seasons and the coaching situation will take care of its self. The only way to do that is not have coaches jumping ship or being epic failures that we need to pay to not coach. I like the hire.
macintyre was consistent too.

This is the way I talk myself into this hire. But it's not completely rational. If Sark gives us a couple of 8-4 seasons and he bails, we will have much better coach pool to choose.

I like the hire too. I'm going to assume KD had a plan to surround himself with a solid group of people who can move this thing forward from 3 5 win seasons in a row or RG doesnt do this.

Back