What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

That 2005 team had Drew Olson, Jones-Drew, and Mercedes Lewis as seniors. It was their third year in a complicated offense, so you can see why this was their most successful year. It's really hard to tell much from his time at UCLA. My main point is that it's wrong to conclude he was an abject failure. Good coaches can struggle, and bad coaches can succeed when the stars align. We have to remember that Tedford had the Bears humming from 2003-2007. He wasn't just recruiting against USC. Hopefully, Dorrell has learned that he has to simplify the offense. It seems he'll have to do so out of necessity this year. It wouldn't hurt if we can finally get lucky with a QB. We have been horribly unlucky at that position for a long, long time.
Dear Lord, there it is, the first simplify the offense comment, and we haven't even had the presser...I am not going to make it.

I hated MacIntyre because he brought his entire D2 staff, refused to fire deadbeats, gave his kid a scholarship when not on single other P5 school would, gave a D3 coach the ST coordinator job to satisfy a headhunter and used the D3 coach to justify giving his kid a scholarship, pretended to be a shirtsleeve Christian and showed his stripes with the entire handling of his coach beating the livi **** out of his girlfriend over-and-over-and over again.

Oh yeah, and recruiting. I hated MacIntyre because of his recruiting too.

MacIntyre’s floor wasn’t 5-7, that was his ceiling.
Except he went 10-2

I hope Chev stays Maybe as co OC/ WR coach/assistant coach./recruiting coordinator. He is an asset to the program. But if he decides to move on. Will wish him well.

I’m a bit confused by those saying that Dorrell raises our floor to consistent bowl games. He hasn’t coached in 15 years! We have no idea what his current floor or ceiling is, particularly at CU.

Ok but 4 of those programs (tOSU, UCLA, UW and Stanford) had serious advantages as a program when making those hires that we just don’t have. tOSU is a blue blood program, UCLA has an incredible local talent base, Stanford had become a legit college football program under Harbaugh and hired his top assistant, and UW hired one of the most in demand coaches in the country. CU is in a bad spot right now, both in recent performance and national perception - we could really use some sizzle and this is a pretty sizzle-free hire.

The Northwestern hire of Fitzgerald was a tragic situation but that situation scares me a little as a Buff fan. By all accounts Fitzgerald has been really good at NW, but very good at that school means a guy with a losing conference record with 9 bowl games and just one division title in 14 seasons in the softer Western Division on the Big10.

To me the Dorrell hire looks good if CU’s definition of success looks like Northwestern’s football program but if you are someone who has higher expectations then this hire is pretty underwhelming.

Nik compared Coach Dorrell’s temperament/personality style to a couple of coaches. I tagged on a few more. You have taken that one simple concept and spun it up into a revolution manifesto.

Bravo!

Yes his lies are the reason no other coach with options wants to come to CU
Switching tracks, huh? Don't blame you, that lying angle wasn't working for you. But we already covered the reason for the money problem. That and conference prestige (maybe even coach in waiting) is what led to Sark saying no.

Nik compared Coach Dorrell’s temperament/personality style to a couple of coaches. I tagged on a few more. You have taken that one simple concept and spun it up into a revolution manifesto.

Bravo!
Yep. @Big Jim and I probably disagree on the personality CU needs at this time. But we agree that all sorts of personality types can make for great head coaches. Biggest key there is that the guy is authentic (i.e., doesn't try to be someone he's not). Dorrell is authentic and he has a personality that has worked.

I'd also point out that the impression that football coaches have to be fire & brimstone guys is a fallacy that almost kept Bill Walsh from ever getting a HC gig. He was seen as too soft spoken and intellectual. Great architect of an offense, but not someone to lead the whole organization. 49ers took a risk and there was a ton of skepticism.

That said, since recruiting drives so much of college football and we're not dealing with professional, older adults like in the NFL, I believe that charismatic personalities work better on this level. Someone who owns every room he walks into, regardless of his title. Dorrell isn't that sort of guy, so he better win and win quickly so that his position of "successful P5 coach" gives him the gravity his personality doesn't. This is why I liked Tucker so much -- he had that gravity and it allowed him to sell a vision in the absence of results (2019 season was no better than 2018).

The 2003 class isn’t rated by Rivals. It wasn’t great, so it helps your case to only use Rivals.

Even using the rankings from Rivals, compared to the P10, his recruiting was mediocre (two top 3s and two bottom 3s). You continue to ignore this reality. There’s not much else to discuss until you’re willing to engage the conversation about why UCLA twice had the third worst recruiting class in the P10. It seems to be in line with their mediocre record during that time.

I would love to have mediocre recruiting and records again.

Clarification: changed his background photo, deleted a bunch of tweets, changed his title to not include anything about CU. Yes, there are still some retweets from yesterday. Looks to me like he’s gone.

Why do you say that?!?!?!

His title shows CU link, picture is him and his family within Folsom Stadium, and 'tons' of CU athletics -- including football.

Bravo!
And I guess what I’m saying after seeing tour list is that this doesn’t seem to me like the type of personality this program needs right now. You can get away with a coach who has a quiet personality when you a blue blood program or have a diverse staff full of dynamic personalities who can relate to high school kids, or both. We need to hope for the latter now I suppose.

Why do you say that?!?!?!

His title shows CU link, picture is him and his family within Folsom Stadium, and 'tons' of CU athletics -- including football.
The amount of pro Cu comments, title, and tweets has reduced significantly from yesterday. And I’m fragile...freaking out over little things. Hopefully it’s nothing.

Not to be that guy, (although I've been that guy for the last 24 hours) He never reaffirmed his commitment to CU, he simply said he hadn't resigned and will be at work tomorrow. I fear this isn't over yet.

This hire is like a vacation to Pueblo.

This hire is like a low key Reno wedding to a common law wife who is a multiple divorcée and 7 months pregnant, performed by a justice of the peace who is also a notary public on a cookie cutter pre-nup.

Last edited by a moderator:
This hire is like a low key Reno wedding to a common law wife who is a multiple divorcée and 7 months pregnant, performed by a justice of the peace who is also a notary republic on a cookie cutter pre-nup.
Who's also technically your cousin although not by blood... still gross tho

This hire is like a low key Reno wedding to a common law wife who is a multiple divorcée and 7 months pregnant, performed by a justice of the peace who is also a notary republic on a cookie cutter pre-nup.
I think i saw the brush strokes as you painted that picture.

Last edited:
That is fair. I'm going to stay with CU admin does not care about championships despite all the big talk by RG. There is a reason CU cant find anyone to coach that the fans are excited about
The reason is the former guy left in February and left before visibly turning things around. I think he was on track to change the direction of the program. And that is why what he did was so disgusting. Instead of seeing things through and doing what he promised, he chased the money. And it’s pretty clear that RG was prepared to increase his pay significantly. He wanted things done his way instantly. He had the donors buying in and I believe money was on the way but he didn’t stick around to see it through.

Back