What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

It did say he identified and developed talent.

But the bulk of the article was about success with academic standards. So to me, the undertone of that article was “FU Mel Tucker, you whinny little bitch.”

The undertone was what so many posters around here have been complaining about. It’s just Woellk so it’s to be expected. If it is Coach Dorrell tomorrow the banging will get louder.

Woellk’s puff piece is out and...no mention of recruiting.

a brief mention on recruiting while at UCLA. And more talk about having an eye for talent and developing it.

As we mentioned previously, he coached five bowl teams in five years at UCLA from 2003 to 2007. He recruited standout student-athletes to the Bruins, won big games (most notably over Oklahoma, Oregon and USC) and consistently developed players for the next level.

Since then, Dorrell has spent the majority of his time in the NFL, where he has developed contacts throughout the coaching world. Those contacts will no doubt be invaluable in assembling a staff that will impress prospective recruits, then develop that talent once it arrives in Boulder.

We also know Dorrell's feel for the game is held in high esteem. He is an innovative offensive mind, he places a high value on the importance of defense, and wherever he has coached, his players have improved.

a brief mention on recruiting while at UCLA. And more talk about having an eye for talent and developing it.

As we mentioned previously, he coached five bowl teams in five years at UCLA from 2003 to 2007. He recruited standout student-athletes to the Bruins, won big games (most notably over Oklahoma, Oregon and USC) and consistently developed players for the next level.

Since then, Dorrell has spent the majority of his time in the NFL, where he has developed contacts throughout the coaching world. Those contacts will no doubt be invaluable in assembling a staff that will impress prospective recruits, then develop that talent once it arrives in Boulder.

We also know Dorrell's feel for the game is held in high esteem. He is an innovative offensive mind, he places a high value on the importance of defense, and wherever he has coached, his players have improved.

That is casually mentioning recruiting as a throwaway part of Dorrell's new job in Boulder.

Why does having NFL coach connections help a college coach? I keep seeing people mention that. You know who else had NFL coach connections? Jim Jeffcoat.

I’m hoping to be surprised but the staff scares me right now.

Why does having NFL coach connections help a college coach? I keep seeing people mention that. You know who else had NFL coach connections? Jim Jeffcoat.

I’m hoping to be surprised but the staff scares me right now.

He has both college and NFL connections.

In late February, having NFL connections matters because a lot of teams have started or are about to start spring ball. So it’s hard to get assistants to bail on their teams this late in the process.

Guys currently in the NFL might be the best option available this late in the process.

I understand he isn't a home run hire, but unless Urban was coming to Boulder, the Home Run hitters were unavailable. I am close with several donors to UCLA and they shared their frustrations about KD with me. Mainly, UCLA was a mid tier Pac-10 program, getting to bowls but the Bruin alum wanted to recruit and play to the level of USC - who, at the time was consistently in the top 3 in the nation and was a challenge to recruit against.
This may appear to be an underwhelming hire, but KD did recruit well in the conference and is well respected as a leader. I am on board and open to seeing what he can bring. I am going to assume he is going to bring both solid assistant coaches (with strong skill sets at their respective positions) and recruiters to the staff. If he does that, aligning with his skill set, this could be an exceptional hire.
To those who are bailing on the Buffs now - read the fight song on your way out the door and peace out!

pretty sure duff wins bingo for the day. Tomorrow too if those are the kinds of phrases KD is going to throw around.

I will give him credit, and eat crow if he can move the needle. For me, bowl eligibility, with 35 bowls last time I counted, is the rock bottom of satisfactory performance.

So, if CU is a perennial 6-6/7-5 team, that will be an improvement, but just barely.

If we see 7,8 or 9 wins consistently, I will be pretty happy.

More than that, ecstatic.

Make me happy.

What are we doing? People were excited about an alcoholic that literally got fired for showing up to work and then unsuccessfully sued his former school for wrongful termination.
of the reason Tucker bolting stings so much is because he bailed in February. The best up and coming candidates already took jobs and many candidates with integrity are reluctant to abandon their programs late in February because it puts their program in a bad spot.

When the most exciting prospect and consensus pick from fans was an alcoholic that cracked under the pressure of his last head coaching job...hiring a competent professional isn’t the worst possible outcome.

The worst case scenario for one isn’t nearly as bad as it is for the other.
Please articulate the pros/cons of HCKD. Those other names don’t matter. Was this a good hire? Convince us.

I was prepared to live with the Karl Dorrell Hiring (even can see how he could be successful as a professional NFL coach with deep character and a band of really good assistants who recruit like MoFos.), But that scenario meant a lot less money for him, and a lot more money for his AC's. The guy should not need to get $3M a year. He should have a giant buyout if he were to leave. Rick George doesn't understand leverage. Seriously don't think he has learned a thing from having to buyout MM's contract, then having Mel taken for too low of a buyout after just 1 year, and now paying market rate for a guy who was happy to be making $500k last week?

You can underpay a guy who you are giving an opportunity he's not going to get otherwise, and reward him big time with success. Rick George is an idiot with money.

Last edited:
Will Adam ask him about those 10 key tasks he outlined?
"We're going to recruit every day, 24/7." aka Mel'ism

I don't give a **** what he says about it. He needs to hire a few recruiters, that's the most tangible and important thing.

"We're going to recruit every day, 24/7." aka Mel'ism

I don't give a **** what he says about it. He needs to hire a few recruiters, that's the most tangible and important thing.
Then he needs to articulate that as a key pillar and to say how he plans to be Intentional about it.

Last edited:
Bringing in NFL guys as your coordinators makes sense. Majority of the position coaches need to be quality recruiters though.

I have had season tickets for about 10 years, since my son started going to CU. Here is my take: CU took a shorter time to squander its position as a top NCAAF program than just about any program I can think of.

In late February, you are not going to see Bill McCartney walk through that door. With that said, KD is the last coach I am going to go through this with at CU. All I am asking for is a bowl-eligible team. If he fails, I am done.

Because talking matters most.
Setting his vision is essential. Words are all he has at the moment. It’s the essential element of leadership, especially in the early phases. Damn right, I will pay attention to his talking.

Former coach told my friend last night. Mel also said RG has known for months that he was unhappy about CU not letting players in and had multiple meetings with admin only to have nothing change. For the entire season CU was promising staff salary increases.

Multiple people for the HC job reached out to Mel for insight on CU.

Also said FBI working several death threats against Mel. Mel's take is people should be pissed at RG and CU admin for not honoring the promises made for Mel to come here in the first place.
That's Mel justifying why he sold out and took the money over all the commitments he made to these kids. Stinks of true bull crap.

I get talk is cheap, but I think a college head coach should have a decent answer on how he approaches recruiting. It will come up a lot over the next few months.
I hope Adam and the scribes dig in. Elsewhere, Adam addressed 10 key tasks fir HCKD. I look forward to his answers on these issues.

Back