What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

He actually retweeted / shared the video now from Fowler. I am hoping it’s just a matter of being disappointed, but for someone that worked directly under KD and has been quoted as seeing him as a mentor, he isn’t showing much support for someone that is technically now his boss. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

And he has since deleted the post sharing the video... but is “liking” other people’s posts saying Fowler has good points concerning Chev...

Again, probably wasn’t the right thing to do by publicly sharing it in the first place. I don’t blame him for being disappointed, of course. He is obviously very active on Twitter, which isn’t a bad thing in today, especially with recruiting, But I am now seeing that it may be obvious that serving a little more time under an experienced and mature HC wouldn’t hurt him or his career.

Did... did you just quote your own post, which was the immediately preceding post on the thread, and not even add a comment?

He actually retweeted / shared the video now from Fowler. I am hoping it’s just a matter of being disappointed, but for someone that worked directly under KD and has been quoted as seeing him as a mentor, he isn’t showing much support for someone that is technically now his boss. Maybe I’m reading too much into it.

In the video that he posted, Fowler said Chev was the key to Dorrell’s success because Chev is a great recruiter. And Chev has always posted positive things other people have said about him.

There might not be more to it than that.

Just finished watching 1992 Oklahoma vs Our Buffs and KD was very stoic and calm on the sideline talking to Koy Detmer even with all his turnovers. That was the year Mac decided to ditch the I-bone and become Air Buffs. I'm curious to know the offense formula. Plus his recruiting philosophy. Damn, we were legit back in the day! I long to see that type of talent back at CU!

Just finished watching 1992 Oklahoma vs Our Buffs and KD was very stoic and calm on the sideline talking to Koy Detmer even with all his turnovers. That was the year Mac decided to ditch the I-bone and become Air Buffs. I'm curious to know the offense formula. Plus his recruiting philosophy. Damn, we were legit back in the day! I long to see that type of talent back at CU!
On more than one occasion I have gotten semi-drunk and watched old Buffs games on youtube. 62-36 has been viewed multiple times.

It's both recruiting and player development.

I won't mind hearing, "We're going to bring in top talent and then we're going to coach them up."

I think the development thing is what sells top recruits on a program's ability to get them to the NFL. It's just that a coaching staff has to start from the foundation of knowing that it's the Jimmies and the Joes that make their success. For example, I'm sure that every coach and player and front office guy in the NFL knows that he'd be having more success if their QB was Mahomes. Some of them do lose sight of that, though, which I always view as confidence having turned into arrogance.

That happened with the Chicago Bulls when MJ, Phil and others left after the 6th title. Comments from front office started coming out about how organizations win championships, not individual players and coaches. Uhhh... no. Same thing with how many Patriots assistants have sucked as HCs when they got their shot and didn't have a Brady at the new job. Belichick failed in Cleveland, after all.

Last edited:
On more than one occasion I have gotten semi-drunk and watched old Buffs games on youtube. 62-36 has been viewed multiple times.
The gold standard of Buff Nostalgia! I went to the Natty at the Rose Bowl that season DECKED OUT in Colorado gear and waited for a Fusker to say something! They didn't because they knew what time it was and Miami was kicking their ass too. Which I made susure they heard all game long!

Well, DBT got me to thinking. What are the positives?

I haven't heard a peep about KD having a son ready to play CFB, so there's that.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think anybody, with all the names thrown around after Melvin Huckster left, mentioned KD once. I don't think it is strange to have the negative reactions to what looks like a "please coach our team" hire.

2. KD's competition in the P10, where fUCLA finished 5, 5, 3, 4, 4 out of 10:

Stanford- Harris, Teevens, 1st year of Harbaugh
UW- Last year of Neu, Gilbertson and Willingham
Wazzu- Doba and Wulff
Cal-Tedford
Oregon- Bellotti
OSU- Mike Riley
USC- Carroll
AZ- Mike Stoops
ASU- Dirk Koetter, one year of Dennis Erickson

So, Cal, USC and Oregon were markedly better, and KD was battling Riley for the 4th spot on the average, besting the rest.

Draw you own conclusions.

It's both recruiting and player development.

I won't mind hearing, "We're going to bring in top talent and then we're going to coach them up."

I think the development thing is what sells top recruits on a program's ability to get them to the NFL. It's just that a coaching staff has to start from the foundation of knowing that it's the Jimmies and the Joes that make their success. For example, I'm sure that every coach and player and front office guy in the NFL knows that he'd be having more success if their QB was Mahomes. Some of them do lose sight of that, though, which I always view as confidence having turned into arrogance.

That happened with the Chicago Bulls when MJ, Phil and others left after the 6th title. Comments from front office started coming out about how organizations win championships, not individual players and coaches. Uhhh... no. Same thing with how many Patriots assistants have sucked as HCs when they got their shot and didn't have a Brady at the new job. Belichick failed in Cleveland, after all.

Belichick is 13-6 without Brady at QB for the Patriots. Matt Cassel went 10-5, Jimmy Garoppolo went 2-0 and Jacoby Brissett went 1-1.

Well, DBT got me to thinking. What are the positives?

I haven't heard a peep about KD having a son ready to play CFB, so there's that.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I don't think anybody, with all the names thrown around after Melvin Huckster left, mentioned KD once. I don't think it is strange to have the negative reactions to what looks like a "please coach our team" hire.

2. KD's competition in the P10, where fUCLA finished 5, 5, 3, 4, 4 out of 10:

Stanford- Harris, Teevens, 1st year of Harbaugh
UW- Last year of Neu, Gilbertson and Willingham
Wazzu- Doba and Wulff
Cal-Tedford
Oregon- Bellotti
OSU- Mike Riley
USC- Carroll
AZ- Mike Stoops
ASU- Dirk Koetter, one year of Dennis Erickson

So, Cal, USC and Oregon were markedly better, and KD was battling Riley for the 4th spot on the average, besting the rest.

Draw you own conclusions.
I'd take being consistently 4-5th best in our conference.

The gold standard of Buff Nostalgia! I went to the Natty at the Rose Bowl that season DECKED OUT in Colorado gear and waited for a ****er to say something! They didn't because they knew what time it was and Miami was kicking their ass too. Which I made susure they heard all game long!
giphy.gif

I'd take being consistently 4-5th best in our conference.
To be honest, 4-5 in the P12 would be a huge improvement, but 4th or 5th in the P12 is 7-6 or 8-5.

How does that comport with what RG has been selling, and I quote his strategic plan below:

"CU Athletics will win championships by recruiting, developing and inspiring student-athletes to succeed academically, athletically and personally through leadership and advancing our culture of excellence."

And why are some so quick to accept apparent mediocrity?

I get if you think there is too much bitching, but this post strikes me as you would have been excited by anyone we hired.

Dorrell may end being a decent hire, but you are overselling it quite a bit.
No, I wouldn't have been excited by anyone we hired. I made it clear in earlier posts that I was not at all a fan of hiring Bielema and I was never a big fan of Sarkisian. I also wasn't a fan of Alex Grinch and some of the others we have been discussing. I was fine with Calhoun and I loved the idea of Bieniemy. I like Dorrell and I think he has a pretty good resume. I think he is a great fit for HC here and I'm hopeful he will bring some stability to the program.

To be honest, 4-5 in the P12 would be a huge improvement, but 4th or 5th in the P12 is 7-6 or 8-5.

How does that comport with what RG has been selling, and I quote his strategic plan below:

"CU Athletics will win championships by recruiting, developing and inspiring student-athletes to succeed academically, athletically and personally through leadership and advancing our culture of excellence."

The reality of the gap between the Pac-12 and the other conferences happened.
I’m not throwing in the towel but I’m also not going to yell and scream about realities that can’t be changed.

I think RG & LC realizes that we have had one winning season in the last 14 years and it is going to take years for CU football to get back to where it was at. If KD gets us to five consecutive bowl games, we will be beyond ready to hand him the keys to the city.

I don’t think it’s accepting mediocrity by being happy with building a program and actually having consistent winning seasons and bowl appearances, if not bowl wins. Now will I be satisfied with that if we can pull that off for a few years in a row? No. But I will be happy with that if next year, and the following year if that bowl is a win or a better placement. We need stability. And we need recent evidence that a coach can succeed at CU year after year and it’s good for their career. Then we can talk about championships. It’s still the same goal. I don’t anyone was excepting Mel Tucker to take us the a championship this next year. And if we had a pretty good season with a bowl win, we would be excited about the future. I don’t see this as settling, but building a foundation where future success is actually possible.

Back