What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

To be honest, 4-5 in the P12 would be a huge improvement, but 4th or 5th in the P12 is 7-6 or 8-5.

How does that comport with what RG has been selling, and I quote his strategic plan below:

"CU Athletics will win championships by recruiting, developing and inspiring student-athletes to succeed academically, athletically and personally through leadership and advancing our culture of excellence."

And why are some so quick to accept apparent mediocrity?

Tell me which of those two statements is reality and which, at this point given the state of CFB, is wishful thinking?

No, I wouldn't have been excited by anyone we hired. I made it clear in earlier posts that I was not at all a fan of hiring Bielema and I was never a big fan of Sarkisian. I also wasn't a fan of Alex Grinch and some of the others we have been discussing. I was fine with Calhoun and I loved the idea of Bieniemy. I like Dorrell and I think he has a pretty good resume. I think he is a great fit for HC here and I'm hopeful he will bring some stability to the program.
I’ve heard a few people talk about how KD might bring “stability” to the program, but what does that even mean in the context of what this program needs right now? Are we unstable? Not really. Sure our coach left unexpectedly but programs go through coaching changes all the time and I wouldn’t define that as some widespread instability in the program. MacIntyre pretty much stabilized this program from the depths of the Hawkins and Embree years - we need someone who can elevate the program from sub-mediocrity, can Dorrell do that?

When I hear people here talk about stability all it sounds like to me is they like having a coach who isn’t some rising star that might leave us in a couple years and that’s a bad reason to hire a guy IMO.

Are we having 2 different conversations? You replied to a post of mine about what they are saying on the Miami Dolphins boards.
You mentioned the opinion of people on the Miami Dolphin message board and I was sort of relating that to our message board. Maybe I should have just posted as a stand alone post rather than as a response to your post. Sorry.

I’ve heard a few people talk about how KD might bring “stability” to the program, but what does that even mean in the context of what this program needs right now? Are we unstable? Not really. Sure our coach left unexpectedly but programs go through coaching changes all the time and I wouldn’t define that as some widespread instability in the program. MacIntyre pretty much stabilized this program from the depths of the Hawkins and Embree years - we need someone who can elevate the program from sub-mediocrity, can Dorrell do that?

When I hear people here talk about stability all it sounds like to me is they like having a coach who isn’t some rising star that might leave us in a couple years and that’s a bad reason to hire a guy IMO.

Exactly - Tucker left us in the lurch, but Macintyre stabilized the program over 6 years. We hare healthy financially (not flush with cash, but not deep in debt), not under any sanctions, have new facilities, good incoming recruiting class, no major player attrition.....

Your post is exactly right.

Translation?
"It's just basically like trust but with no 't'. Trust your brother, trust your coaches, trust the process. All that. Lamar came up with 'truss.' Mark [Ingram] came up with 'biiig truss' because everything Mark does is big. He put the 'biiig' on there to give it his own splash." -WR Willie Snead IV

Team supposedly had their first meeting with HCKD this morning.

I'm not so down on this hire as most people seem to be. I'm skeptical as I am with all new coaches and will take a wait and see attitude, but I trust RG and LC know more and better than we do and I'm cautiously optimistic for this new era. Like many have stated, we've had ONE winning season in the last 14 years. This program needs stability, steadiness, INTEGRITY and leadership. I can't wait to see the staff he puts together and what they can do this spring and next fall.

I'm not so down on this hire as most people seem to be. I'm skeptical as I am with all new coaches and will take a wait and see attitude, but I trust RG and LC know more and better than we do and I'm cautiously optimistic for this new era. Like many have stated, we've had ONE winning season in the last 14 years. This program needs stability, steadiness, INTEGRITY and leadership. I can't wait to see the staff he puts together and what they can do this spring and next fall.
If Chev stays and we keep the class together I feel just fine

If he leaves I am prepared for 3 years of 2-10

Appears RG was so "hurt" by Mel Tucker leaving at such an inopportune time that he reacted by:

1. Needing to feel the next coach was a "Colorado guy" who wouldn't be such a pussy.
2. Way overpaying him to counter perceived damage Mel Tucker did by making us look like have-nots.

Note to Rick:
1. Good coaches come from everywhere. If you limit your field to Colorado guys, we are back to the mind trust that brought us Embree
2. The money would have been better used to attract top assistants. The statement you made lasted 20 seconds, but the contract lasts a long time.

And like Chris Fowler, I'll remain optimistic. It could work and be a home run.

Appears RG was so "hurt" by Mel Tucker leaving at such an inopportune time that he reacted by:

1. Needing to feel the next coach was a "Colorado guy" who wouldn't be such a *****.
2. Way overpaying him to counter perceived damage Mel Tucker did by making us look like have-nots.

Note to Rick:
1. Good coaches come from everywhere. If you limit your field to Colorado guys, we are back to the mind trust that brought us Embree
2. The money would have been better used to attract top assistants. The statement you made lasted 20 seconds, but the contract lasts a long time.

I'd maybe buy this if he didn't offer Sark.

I cringe a little every time I hear a coach say he’s good at “identifying and developing talent”. that’s code for “we are ****ty recruiters”.

Are we really going to do this? I promised DBT I would never get off his lawn if he said the next coach "cares about the players" or "bleeds black and gold." I'm gonna do the same for every one of you chuckleheads who gives his opinion of KD based on what he says to the press.

JFC, it's like you guys think Neuheisal is the "Joe Pa of Colorado" and Tucker thinks CU is a destination program.

Just stop it.

Last edited:
To me "stability" is McCartney vs Neu. MacIntyre vs Tucker. Someone who is willing to stick around and build a program for as long as their success will let them stay rather than someone who will immediately parlay ANY amount of success at CU (even if it's just 5-7) into a "better" gig. I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. To each his own, though.

I would say 3 coaches in 3 years would not be considered a stable program.

To be honest, 4-5 in the P12 would be a huge improvement, but 4th or 5th in the P12 is 7-6 or 8-5.

How does that comport with what RG has been selling, and I quote his strategic plan below:

"CU Athletics will win championships by recruiting, developing and inspiring student-athletes to succeed academically, athletically and personally through leadership and advancing our culture of excellence."

And why are some so quick to accept apparent mediocrity?

You take your opinion, add it to a quote, and then spin out a "fact" in the form of a rhetorical question. Masterfully done. If you live in CO, pleaser run for the Board of Regents, CU needs you.

1. Needing to feel the next coach was a "Colorado guy" who wouldn't be such a *****.

Note to Rick:

If the search was really limited to guys with CU connections they wouldn’t have interviewed and reportedly offered Sarkisian the job. That’s just post hiring spin.

And they did increase the assistant coach pool money too.

They probably gave him what the counter offer was going to be for Tucker. Maybe they could have offered him less but I think eliminating the perception that CU is one of the cheapest schools when it comes to coaches salaries matters.

I am totally in "Wait and See" mode. Been down this path so many times over the last 30++ years. I am numb to it at this point. I am anxious to hear how the staff fills out and see how well he is received by the players.

I would say 3 coaches in 3 years would not be considered a stable program.
That stat is only a reality because Tucker left after one season, so do you believe Mel Tucker single handedly de-stabilized this program? That all the things dio mentioned above are irrelevant to one bad guy leaving us so soon??

Again if that’s the case you’re overreacting and are searching for someone who won’t leave us too quickly and is a terrible reason to hire a coach.

To me "stability" is McCartney vs Neu. MacIntyre vs Tucker. Someone who is willing to stick around and build a program for as long as their success will let them stay rather than someone who will immediately parlay ANY amount of success at CU (even if it's just 5-7) into a "better" gig. I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing. To each his own, though.
If MacIntyre fits your definition of stability and you want someone who won’t jump ship at the first hint of success, why did we fire MacIntyre? He sounds like exactly what you want.

Are we really going to do this? I promised DBT I would never get off his lawn if he said the next coach "cares about the players" or "bleeds black and gold." I'm gonna do the same for everyone of you chuckleheads who gives his opinion of KD based on what he says to the press.

JFC, it's like you guys think Neuheisal is the "Joe Pa of Colorado" and Tucker thinks CU is a destination program.

Just stop it.

A college football coach should be able to talk about recruiting with ease because it is a huge part of the job. Full stop.

If Chev stays and we keep the class together I feel just fine

If he leaves I am prepared for 3 years of 2-10
This makes zero sense. First, it would be a loss but he's not irreplaeable, just at what level. Then, of course, we're rolling with his recruits for the next 3 years. And it's not like his coaching is giving us 4 wins to keep us bowling. Please explain.

That stat is only a reality because Tucker left after one season, so do you believe Mel Tucker single handedly de-stabilized this program? That all the things dio mentioned above are irrelevant to one bad guy leaving us so soon??

Again if that’s the case you’re overreacting and are searching for someone who won’t leave us too quickly and is a terrible reason to hire a coach.
I think that stability of a program is based around either being consistently competitive (making bowl games) and/or having a stable coaching situation.

I think almost all programs search for the opposite of their previous coach if something like MT situation happened or the coach is fired. MT was pretty much the opposite of MacIntyre and Dorrell is the opposite of MT.

Back