What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

This makes zero sense. First, it would be a loss but he's not irreplaeable, just at what level. Then, of course, we're rolling with his recruits for the next 3 years. And it's not like his coaching is giving us 4 wins to keep us bowling. Please explain.
Easy

At the moment we have had back to back pretty solid classes. There is talent on the roster at the moment, and when the current class develops and becomes sophomores-Juniors I don't have a lot of doubt we will be fine.

If Chev leaves, and 15 players enter the portal we are back to being the least talented team in the conference and it will take 4 years of good recruiting (no guarantee that happens) to get back to having talent

So at this very moment Chev is irreplaceable. Because if he goes so bye bye to a lot of players

What didn't make sense about that?

If MacIntyre fits your definition of stability and you want someone who won’t jump ship at the first hint of success, why did we fire MacIntyre? He sounds like exactly what you want.

I meant he didn't jump for a better job after 2016. Would Barnett have been a better example? We don't have many shining examples to choose from.

Consistency of what?

I mentioned in an earlier post referring to the acceptance of mediocrity. I think we need consistent winning seasons and consistent bowl appearances, and then consistent bowl wins. I think also turn over in HC job obviously. The goal is still conference and national championships. No one is settling.

Few things matter less than what a coach says in a press conference.

I am talking about in general. He will have to answer questions for as long as he is HC about recruiting. If the best he can muster is some platitude about "developing" players, it is a red flag.

Hell, a decent chunk of the fanbase was defending MM recruiting well into his tenure and we actually had concrete results there.

I’ve heard a few people talk about how KD might bring “stability” to the program, but what does that even mean in the context of what this program needs right now? Are we unstable? Not really. Sure our coach left unexpectedly but programs go through coaching changes all the time and I wouldn’t define that as some widespread instability in the program. MacIntyre pretty much stabilized this program from the depths of the Hawkins and Embree years - we need someone who can elevate the program from sub-mediocrity, can Dorrell do that?

When I hear people here talk about stability all it sounds like to me is they like having a coach who isn’t some rising star that might leave us in a couple years and that’s a bad reason to hire a guy IMO.
I take the stability comment as more, getting the program back to consistent bowl games. Two bowl games in 14 seasons across 4 different coaching staffs. Stabilizing in that regard will go a long way to show that Colorado Football can still be at least an average to slightly above average program, and be a more attractive place for the next guy down the road.

This can work out very well if Dorrell gets some recruiters on the staff. LSU hires Orgeron under similar circumstances. He was a retread and had been passed over for other jobs. I’m not suggesting Dorrell and Orgeron are the same kind of coach, merely pointing out that these kinds of hires of necessity can often work out.

And if it doesn’t work out, we start all over again. That’s life.

SAN FRANCISCO - Pac-12 Networks will provide live coverage of today’s Colorado press conference, which is set to begin at 10 a.m. PT / 11 a.m. MT, as Athletic Director Rick George introduces Karl Dorrell as the 27th head football coach for the Buffaloes. Fans can tune in to the press conference on Pac-12 Network, Pac-12 Mountain, the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12.com.

HOW TO WATCH

Few things matter less than what a coach says in a press conference.
You can learn a lot about a coach by not only what he says, but by what he doesn’t say. It was clear that MT put a great deal of emphasis on recruiting. Regardless of what he actually said in his pressers, that much was always crystal clear. To quote a legendary coach: “you achieve what you emphasize”. It’s still very unclear what Dorrell will emphasize.

You can learn a lot about a coach by not only what he says, but by what he doesn’t say. It was clear that MT put a great deal of emphasis on recruiting. Regardless of what he actually said in his pressers, that much was always crystal clear. To quote a legendary coach: “you achieve what you emphasize”. It’s still very unclear what Dorrell will emphasize.

I'm not too worried about what KD says or doesn't say. By all accounts, he is not a verbose person. His results, in recruiting and on the field, will tell the story.

I think that stability of a program is based around either being consistently competitive (making bowl games) and/or having a stable coaching situation.

I think almost all programs search for the opposite of their previous coach if something like MT situation happened or the coach is fired. MT was pretty much the opposite of MacIntyre and Dorrell is the opposite of MT.
There are really very few stable coaching situations in college football and it’s primarily limited to programs who pay in the top 0.000001%.

Your second point scares the s**t out of me - why do we need to hire the opposite of MT? Until the day we found out he was leaving, he was pretty universally loved by fans. A coach leaving a P5 program after 1 season is incredibly rare, so an emotional reaction to that which leads to hiring the opposite is a huge mistake IMO.

If MacIntyre fits your definition of stability and you want someone who won’t jump ship at the first hint of success, why did we fire MacIntyre? He sounds like exactly what you want.

Had MM won just one more game per year, he'd still be the coach.

"Still very unclear" ...Jesus Christ! The guy just got the job yesterday.

I hope, for his sake, he becomes more active on Twitter. It is the main way the 35 year old stalkers around here measure a coaches effectiveness.

Easy

At the moment we have had back to back pretty solid classes. There is talent on the roster at the moment, and when the current class develops and becomes sophomores-Juniors I don't have a lot of doubt we will be fine.

If Chev leaves, and 15 players enter the portal we are back to being the least talented team in the conference and it will take 4 years of good recruiting (no guarantee that happens) to get back to having talent

So at this very moment Chev is irreplaceable. Because if he goes so bye bye to a lot of players

Not gonna happen.

Usually, but you're wrong on this one. A lot of season tix and momentum with players and recruits will be on the line.

I doubt peoples' decision to buy or not buy season tickets hinges on this press conference. And I would wager that team meetings and personal interactions with players and recruits matter vastly more to them then a presser. They know the difference between what's real and what's a media event.

Easy

A few might leave, but I doubt there’s a mass exodus.

I doubt peoples' decision to buy or not buy season tickets hinges on this press conference. And I would wager that team meetings and personal interactions with players and recruits matter vastly more to them then a presser. They know the difference between what's real and what's a media event.
A good presser gets people excited and feeling more confident about the state of the program. On the other hand, if he comes out and sounds completely out of his league, that also sends a message. Obviously results matter, but we are months away from anything tangible there, so this is going to shape a lot of opinions in the meantime- fair or not.

I meant he didn't jump for a better job after 2016. Would Barnett have been a better example? We don't have many shining examples to choose from.
You’re proving my point with MacIntyre - you’re so afraid that a coach will leave after being successful here but I have news for you: CU would have been sooooo much better off if MacIntyre had left after 2016. Instead he stuck around, came crashing back to earth and we had to fire him and eat a $10M buyout which had huge negative impacts on the program’s finances.

Guys having success and leaving may hurt our ego, but it’s not a terrible thing necessarily.

A good presser gets people excited and feeling more confident about the state of the program. On the other hand, if he comes out and sounds completely out of his league, that also sends a message. Obviously results matter, but we are months away from anything tangible there, so this is going to shape a lot of opinions in the meantime- fair or not.
I doubt he will be out of his league. He’s been a OC and a HC before. This isn’t new.

There are really very few stable coaching situations in college football and it’s primarily limited to programs who pay in the top 0.000001%.

Your second point scares the s**t out of me - why do we need to hire the opposite of MT? Until the day we found out he was leaving, he was pretty universally loved by fans. A coach leaving a P5 program after 1 season is incredibly rare, so an emotional reaction to that which leads to hiring the opposite is a huge mistake IMO.

He was loved by us because we were hopeful. If the opposite of MT means a coach who won't bail after 1 losing season, then I'm all for that. If opposite of MT means someone committed, then I'm all for that. If the opposite of MT means someone who actually knows what the heck "intergirty" means and has loads of it, then I'm all for that. If opposite for MT means someone who is honest and upfront and won't lie to recruits, donors and fans, then I'm all for that.

Reactions: DBT

I'm not sure how a guy who has been coaching for 30 years, including 5 as a HC in this conference, can sound out of his league. I'm sure he'll be fine.

He was loved by us because we were hopeful. If the opposite of MT means a coach who won't bail after 1 losing season, then I'm all for that. If opposite of MT means someone committed, then I'm all for that. If the opposite of MT means someone who actually knows what the heck "intergirty" means and has loads of it, then I'm all for that. If opposite for MT means someone who is honest and upfront and won't lie to recruits, donors and fans, then I'm all for that.
Notice that not once did you mention anything about coaching or recruiting abilities in your list of qualifications which I think speaks volumes. As long as the guy is honest and loyal right?

Back