What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Karl Dorrell officially named Colorado HC

Notice that not once did you mention anything about coaching or recruiting abilities in your list of qualifications which I think speaks volumes. As long as the guy is honest and loyal right?

Until he loses to CSU or wins 3 games... then everyone will be lamenting how we badly outmatched we are

There are really very few stable coaching situations in college football and it’s primarily limited to programs who pay in the top 0.000001%.

Your second point scares the s**t out of me - why do we need to hire the opposite of MT? Until the day we found out he was leaving, he was pretty universally loved by fans. A coach leaving a P5 program after 1 season is incredibly rare, so an emotional reaction to that which leads to hiring the opposite is a huge mistake IMO.
Exactly and Colorado is not one of those.

I don’t think we necessarily needed the opposite of MT, but I think that is what typically happens. If somebody leaves you at the alter, most people would look for someone that is nothing like that person. I’m not going to make an opinion of KD until he actually starts coaching.

Exactly and Colorado is not one of those.

I don’t think we necessarily needed the opposite of MT, but I think that is what typically happens. If somebody leaves you at the alter, most people would look for someone that is nothing like that person. I’m not going to make an opinion of KD until he actually starts coaching.
Right, Colorado isn’t one of those programs so why so concerned with coaching stability? Hire the best coach you possibly can and do your best to provide him the resources to succeed and keep him happy. If he leaves, he leaves but if you did your job as a program you’re probably in good position to continue that success and attract more good coaches.

Notice that not once did you mention anything about coaching or recruiting abilities in your list of qualifications which I think speaks volumes. As long as the guy is honest and loyal right?

"Coaching and recruiting abilities" was covered in my first post when I said, "Someone who is willing to stick around and build a program for as long as their success will let them stay rather than someone who will immediately parlay ANY amount of success at CU (even if it's just 5-7) into a "better" gig."

If HCKD isn't a good coach or isn't a good recruiter, then he most likely won't be around long, right? If a coach and his staff are showing they are building a program well and things are trending in the right direction, I'd like for a coach to want to stay and see that process through UNTIL the time they are no longer having success. At that point I'd be fine if they left or got fired.

I'm actually a little confused as to why this is so hard to grasp. It seems like common sense to me.

WRs Karl Dorrell has coached in his career:

-Michael Westbrook
-Rae Carruth (maybe should have left this one off the list)
-Charles Johnson
-Phil Savoy
-Chev
-Rod Smith
-Ed McCaffery
-Craig Bragg (UCLA all time receptions leader)
-Ted Ginn
-Brian Hartline
-Brandon Marshall
-Eric Decker
-DeAndre Hopkins (rookie yr in Houston)
-Quincy Enunwa
-Robby Anderson
-DeVante Parker

Obviously there's a lot left for KD to prove, but I feel like our WRs ought to be thrilled with the hire.

"Coaching and recruiting abilities" was covered in my first post when I said, "Someone who is willing to stick around and build a program for as long as their success will let them stay rather than someone who will immediately parlay ANY amount of success at CU (even if it's just 5-7) into a "better" gig."

If HCKD isn't a good coach or isn't a good recruiter, then he most likely won't be around long, right? If a coach and his staff are showing they are building a program well and things are trending in the right direction, I'd like for a coach to want to stay and see that process through UNTIL the time they are no longer having success. At that point I'd be fine if they left or got fired.

I'm actually a little confused as to why this is so hard to grasp. It seems like common sense to me.
Ok so once they are no longer having success you’re ok with them leaving for another job? Right, because that is how it works.

If a coach told me in an interview that he would never leave CU for another job or more money so long as he was having success here I would conclude either he was a liar, or I was hiring someone without options who would say anything to get the job.

Ok so once they are no longer having success you’re ok with them leaving for another job? Right, because that is how it works.

If a coach told me in an interview that he would never leave CU for another job or more money so long as he was having success here I would conclude either he was a liar, or I was hiring someone without options who would say anything to get the job.

Meaning, if they suck I don't care how they leave, as long as they leave. If they are successful I'd love for them to stay.

There’s not much of a market for 60 year old coaches, even successful ones.

Ultimately, this all boils down to how KD assembles his staff and recruits. Other optics are involved, but those are my main two sticking points. I think KD can get this program to consistent bowl games as he has proven he can do that. I don't see a high ceiling for him though, so will see how this all plays out. UCLA/USC are at historic lows for recruiting so I hope some of the thought process is to get back into Cali heavy during this down time. The time is right for that to happen.

One thing is for certain. KD must hit the ground running in recruiting.

Meaning, if they suck I don't care how they leave, as long as they leave. If they are successful I'd love for them to stay.
Well isn’t that idillic?

It’s the AD’s job to do whatever they can to keep successful coaches happy so they want to stay - trying to circumvent that responsibility by hiring guys less inclined to leave is how you end up hiring Buffs or guys not in demand at the expense of other, potentially more qualified candidates.

Back