What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

There was an article on Axios (can't find it) that said that CU was "Black America's Team". I love that. I met several people on Saturday who weren't historically CU fans that traveled for Prime.
Me too. Met 4 guys at the Harvest House who came in from Mississippi. One of them was a JSU grad and seemed a little bitter because he said there is an 80% chance Prime leaves this year. I said no way and he said Prime is about helping the black athlete and you can’t do that in Boulder. Nice guys but they really questioned how Boulder can attract black athletes long term.

There was an article on Axios (can't find it) that said that CU was "Black America's Team". I love that. I met several people on Saturday who weren't historically CU fans that traveled for Prime.

I'm definitely seeing it.

The couple next to me on the plane was black. Most of the people at work who have talked to me about CP are black. There's a guy who played at Wake and he has been watching all the Well Off videos and is a big fan. One of my black neighbors who is a big Saints fan said he is a fan of CU now and is gonna have to get out for a game, and I don't even think he's much of a college fan.

There's a black guy who my wife worked with last year and he was always talking to her about Prime and still texts her about the games.

Before the season started I had a guy give me a "Go Buffs" in Duluth. He went on to tell me how his family wanted him to go to a HBCU but he decided not to. He played linebacker in college and always looked up to Deion Sanders as a role model. Since graduating he took coaches words to heart and has lived his life according to Prime's code. Now he is a new Buff fan and looking forward to Coach Prime succeeding at CU.

Me too. Met 4 guys at the Harvest House who came in from Mississippi. One of them was a JSU grad and seemed a little bitter because he said there is an 80% chance Prime leaves this year. I said no way and he said Prime is about helping the black athlete and you can’t do that in Boulder. Nice guys but they really questioned how Boulder can attract black athletes long term.
If I am not mistaken, Prime was clear to the administration that CU needs to diversify. For his part, he will hold athletes to a high academic standard. They are to do what needs to be done to succeed as a student. This will keep profs happy. Honestly, it is something that many profs hate about the predecessors, who treated academics as a nuisance.

I can imagine the profs are happy that Prime wants CU to attract the next Kamala Harris instead of the next George Bush. It has to be nice to experience a coach who is supportive not only towards the team, but of the greater mission.

Prime seems to have great things to offer the school, the AD, the community, and a means to open a mainstream program for young scholars.

Had a really great call with @SuperD last night.

Been thinking about this a lot. Prime upsets people because he does not care what anyone outside of his innermost portion of his inner circle thinks about him. Even then, his opinion prevails.

He is unbothered by your criticism, your jealousy, your racism, your insecurity, or anything else about you. This really pisses people off because they expect you to care about how they feel about you. That’s not Prime.

What it also does is further upset people because it exposes how fundamentally insecure they are. People don’t want that vulnerability unmasked to the surrounding world, so they increase their rage. They try to police the secure, unbothered person by criticizing their style, intellect, competence, self-discipline, level of focus, norm avoidance, or even worse, the innermost portion of the secure person’s inner circle.

These insecure assholes can’t help themselves because this is the socially accepted way of managing other insecure people. Their tricks normally work. Yet, the unbothered person is totally immune to that behavior. It is noise that they easily mute. The only recourse the insecure have is physical violence because their attempted emotional violence is impotent.

Prime is divisive because the person he’s made himself to be is either appeals to others who admire and emulate his confidence. Or, he alienates the people to whom he represents an existential threat to the facade they treat as armor.

Been thinking about this a lot. Prime upsets people because he does not care what anyone outside of his innermost portion of his inner circle thinks about him. Even then, his opinion prevails.

He is unbothered by your criticism, your jealousy, your racism, your insecurity, or anything else about you. This really pisses people off because they expect you to care about how they feel about you. That’s not Prime.

What it also does is further upset people because it exposes how fundamentally insecure they are. People don’t want that vulnerability unmasked to the surrounding world, so they increase their rage. They try to police the secure, unbothered person by criticizing their style, intellect, competence, self-discipline, level of focus, norm avoidance, or even worse, the innermost portion of the secure person’s inner circle.

These insecure assholes can’t help themselves because this is the socially accepted way of managing other insecure people. Their tricks normally work. Yet, the unbothered person is totally immune to that behavior. It is noise that they easily mute. The only recourse the insecure have is physical violence because their attempted emotional violence is impotent.

Prime is divisive because the person he’s made himself to be is either appeals to others who admire and emulate his confidence. Or, he alienates the people to whom he represents an existential threat to the facade they treat as armor.
How much does SuperD charge by the hour? Asking for a friend.

If I am not mistaken, Prime was clear to the administration that CU needs to diversify. For his part, he will hold athletes to a high academic standard. They are to do what needs to be done to succeed as a student. This will keep profs happy. Honestly, it is something that many profs hate about the predecessors, who treated academics as a nuisance.

I can imagine the profs are happy that Prime wants CU to attract the next Condoleezza Rice instead of the next George Bush. It has to be nice to experience a coach who is supportive not only towards the team, but of the greater mission.

Prime seems to have great things to offer the school, the AD, the community, and a means to open a mainstream program for young scholars.
FIFY
Kamala Harris Vp GIF by GIPHY News

I really like that sentence from the Yahoo article: "Prime doesn't fit in the box, he has no desire to know what the box is."

Plus, in addition to what you said, he is a harbinger of change and for many acts as a symbol for the new dynamics we see in college football (namely NIL and the portal), which many traditionalists see as "undesirable" parts of the game these days. There are more layers to that (and the fact that he's black is definitely one), of course, but I think many see him as a symbol for the fairly ruthless cutthroat (capitalist) nature of college football (that runs contrary to the professional sports) and the new dynamics that have come with it and hence project their "disapproval" onto him.

Another educated and fabulous woman. I have zero issue with the substitution.

Every motivated, intelligent minority woman should have realistic access to prestigious education instead of having to compete and lose out to legacy dipshits like Dubya.

I love that CP called out the administration on the point. Better is that the message invigorated the staff, from the viewpoints I was able to read.

His across the board impact is undeniable. I would like to see him get a baseball team.

I would like to see him become the AD.

We sold some old CU stuff and the couple that picked it up were an AA couple in their 50s on the way to the airport to fly up for the CSU game. They had been to the TCU game too. No connection to the university.

Love it. We have been historically a very white fan base. Prime could single handedly change that. Would love if we worked more with the Latino demographic as well. Where’s the vamos bufalos?
Not sure I’m what you’re looking for. I’m whiter than Wonder.
The Office Dancing GIF

Well the AA lady at the desk of the Fairfield Inn by DIA was ready for all the Prime hype to die. She point blank said she was never a fan of Deion, I think she said her dad was (she was from Dallas I think). Generational thing I assume. Probably not a football fan either. She gave the vibe that she was pissed at everyone just assuming she was excited for him when she DGAF. I was just wearing my game stuff, and hadn't said anything about CU. At least she was nice though, and didn't denigrate anyone for being excited, just she was personally tired of hearing it all the time.

Love it. We have been historically a very white fan base. Prime could single handedly change that. Would love if we worked more with the Latino demographic as well. Where’s the vamos bufalos?
I’ve been to the spring game and the nub game and both times I had quite a few Latinos sitting in my section. Guys in front of me drove out from grand junction and guys behind me were from Denver.

Back