What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Prime effect

Big time!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️

new york smh GIF

I’m actually going to disagree.

Mike Vick really seemed to change after the dog fighting and prison. Based on what I’ve seen, he seems to have rehabilitated for the better.
Someone willing to do what he did for as long as he did, and then act like it was no big deal UNTIL he went to jail for it, don't just magically change.

Something about a tiger and stripes.

Sorry, some things are unforgivable.

Someone willing to do what he did for as long as he did, and then act like it was no big deal UNTIL he went to jail for it, don't just magically change.

Something about a tiger and stripes.

Sorry, some things are unforgivable.
let me give a small amount of context and perspective you may have not considered. I'm not defending the dogfighting.

Vick grew up in Newport News, VA, in an poor community in which not only was dog fighting common, but illegal activities around it were perceived as part of life. Listening to multiple interviews with him, he viewed the illegality of dogfighting the way my family viewed speeding -- "NBD, just try not to get caught".

in his community, dogs weren't pets -- dogs were a way to make money and have entertainment.

Then, during high school and college, Vick achieves success far beyond anything he or his parents ever dreamed of. while other players put their money and time into fancy cars and jewelry, MV put his focus on dogs. it was an activity he had come to enjoy over his young life.

nobody in a role model position had ever taught him a moral code against it. his friends and family were still involved and passionate about it.

I understand, for most of us having a different paradigm, that it's natural to think the practice of killing animals for fun is evil and struggle to imagine why anyone would want to do it. Especially for dog lovers. But looking at it through Vick's upbringing gives it a different perspective -- at least for me.

An analogy I'd use are prairie dogs in Boulder. If I build new construction in Boulder, I'm required by law to humanely relocate the animals. My wife's employer spent $10k's (don't recall the exact number) doing this eight years ago. Many people view prairie dogs as an animal undeserving of humane treatment, certainly if it would cost a lot of money. Some of those people would have no objection to destroying the colony and hoping the cops don't find out, in order to save money on construction, while others passionately believe that humane relocation is a completely sensible and appropriate thing to do. The key difference seems to be whether or not the animal is normally thought of us a pet, or as a living thing deserving of continued life, or something less.

Last edited:
It’s not magic. It’s hard work and therapy. From every account of anyone who knows Vick, he’s a changed person.
Gotta give the guy credit for the hard work he put in. He became a better person for it. That’s a positive trajectory that can be an example for others.

We have former college coaches who become politicians and go backwards instead of forward. Vick is headed in the right direction here.

Back