What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LAVISKA SHENAULT IS A BAD BAD BAD MAN

I really want to see the staff do a better job of managing his workload this season so we get him for 12+ games. He took way too much of a pounding from excessive screen passes and wildcat runs (as effective as he was in the latter).
Need to have Arias, Brown and Stanley really emerge in order for that to happen. Wouldn’t hurt to have some TE production and a decent running game, either.

I really want to see the staff do a better job of managing his workload this season so we get him for 12+ games. He took way too much of a pounding from excessive screen passes and wildcat runs (as effective as he was in the latter).
Yep, and a lot of those plays were behind the line of scrimmage or at the line of scrimmage. When you give a guy that much production and ask him to basically have the whole field, anyone will break down eventually.

A good OC will put him in the right spots when needed.

Very rarely.

I see value in using it in limited instances, especially in no huddle situations, but using it as a staple in short yardage situations is asking for a player to get beat up.
I’m all for having Viska line up in the backfield as a RB now and then and getting creative with him there, but I agree, it can’t be as a Wildcat 6-7 times a game.

Do other teams purposely put their best WR in the same conditions? If not, why not?
Because they don’t have Laviska Shenault on their team.

I’m mostly teasing you, but I look at it this way: if you figure you have a 90% chance of scoring if you use Laviska in the wildcat, and a 65% chance if you don’t, he’s going to be used a lot. That doesn’t mean they don’t trust the other guys, just that Laviska is a special player.

Because they don’t have Laviska Shenault on their team.

I’m mostly teasing you, but I look at it this way: if you figure you have a 90% chance of scoring if you use Laviska in the wildcat, and a 65% chance if you don’t, he’s going to be used a lot. That doesn’t mean they don’t trust the other guys, just that Laviska is a special player.

For nine games, which is the whole point.

I want it both ways, tbh. I would love for CU to run Viska into the ground this year and get him as many touches as possible and I also want Viska to be full go in all 13-15 games.

Coaches are not thinking about keeping their best player healthy by avoiding dumb touches? Sounds like a bunch of really dumb coaches.
Oh my. Ok, sure, that’s totally what I’m saying.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if you just argue for the fun of it.

Oh my. Ok, sure, that’s totally what I’m saying.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder if you just argue for the fun of it.

If a coach is so narrowly focused on one win to run their WIDE RECEIVER into the ground, it is malpractice. I can guarantee a lot of coaches focus on the season as a whole in addition to game by game.

In this case, the new coaches even have the added benefit of hindsight. So if they decide to make the exact same mistakes with similar, unfortunate consequences, they deserve to be ripped.

If a coach is so narrowly focused on one win to run their WIDE RECEIVER into the ground, it is malpractice. I can guarantee a lot of coaches focus on the season as a whole in addition to game by game.

In this case, the new coaches even have the added benefit of hindsight. So if they decide to make the exact same mistakes with similar, unfortunate consequences, they deserve to be ripped.

Feed him the rock. Sometimes that means he's taking a direct snap. When you have a special talent on your team you have to find as many possible to let him showcase, put pressure on the defense, and make plays.

There's no rule that says you can't run the wildcat with the RB, is there?

No, there isn’t. Do we have anybody on the team who can run it as well as Viska?

I don’t want anybody to think I’m all for using him the same way he was used last year. I understand the temptation to overuse the best player on the team. It’s a tough balancing act. He needs to be more than a decoy. A lot more.

Back