What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

LaVissska best CU player since ...?

Scotty McKnght. He was no Spruce, but he was dating that chick who left him for some Russian boxer-mob dude. Or was that Jay Cutler?

Laviska is special.

Is the the best WR ever at CU? Richardson was good but he wasn't in the class with Westbrook, Pritch, Johnson. I barely remember Logan and Branch but wasn't old enough to objectively rate them.

Also hard to compare across eras. How would those guys have done with Montez throwing them the ball 8-12 times a game? What I can guarantee with Viska is that if he had played in the BuffBone era they would have been giving him pitches that put him one on one with a defender on the edge and I don't care who the defender is, that would be ugly for the defense. With those safeties and LBs pulled up to defend to run he would be flying down the field to score more often than he does now.

I’d say he’s the best since Paul Richardson, but he’s a better player than PRich was. Stronger, faster, better hands (and that’s saying a lot).

So I have to go with our Heisman winner, Salaam.
Dare I to be sacrilegious, but might he be...BETTER than Salaam? Salaam was a great great running back. Viska doesn’t have that great of a line blocking for him. And is a better WR, TE, slot receiver and Wildcat QB than Salaam. Salaams teams pounded opponents into submission. Viskas team is growing up and even with it growing he is doing almost anything at will.

Kordell was great, but like Montez/Viska, he needed Salaam and others to shine. It’s an interesting question that you have to take into account the era of ball it was played in. I think about Hagan being the magician he was. And comparable maybe you go back to Cliff Branch.

Laviska is physically gifted beyond anyone we have ever had. The chop and go move he put on last game that double cripple legged that DB was just plain sick, and the spring game move he made showed video game capabilities. Mike Pritchard was a real stud, and someone that I felt was a really really good player, but smaller and had he played in this offense would be pretty unstoppable. Westbrook was a big body dude that was good for his time, but Viska is a stronger and more dominant type of kid. Graham was dynamic for his position, Salaam was top shelf for a college RB, and PL and Paul Richardson were plus players, but I gotta say that we have not had a kid like Viska before, so glad to have him.

Thoughts on:
- Richardson. Not actually certain what his ceiling was since he didn't have a) a qb like (current) Montez throwing to him and 2) any other weapons on the offense. Not nearly as dynamic as LSJ.

- Salaam - fantastic runner, but his efforts were supported by so many other dynamic weapons...

- Kordell - unfortunately if I had to chose between Salaam and Kordell, I'd chose Kordell

- Spruce - like P-Rich, there was literally no where else to go with the ball. Like P-Rich, not as dynamic as LSJ.

- PL - I love the guy! I love what he did for this team! I don't think any Buff has had more heart for CU than he did...but at the risk of being banned from All Buffs, I think McTravon is a better, more valuable running back.

To the OP - I'm going to go with Hagan.

Just delete the thread ... was interested in what people thought (like a Lebron vs MJ vs Kobe type debate). But of course the main posters on here have to be insufferable prick assholes.
tenor.gif

Viska is great. Period.
But i’ll carry the flag for the 94 team a bit. Yes, Salaam had a great line. But have we ever seen anything like his 35 carry, 317 yard effort against the whorns in Austin?
Also, Westbrook had only 36 catches in 94 and was still a first rounder. I think Viska has better hands and strength but i sure would love to see how Westbrook would be used in chiv’s offense.

Viska is great. Period.
But i’ll carry the flag for the 94 team a bit. Yes, Salaam had a great line. But have we ever seen anything like his 35 carry, 317 yard effort against the whorns in Austin?
Also, Westbrook had only 36 catches in 94 and was still a first rounder. I think Viska has better hands and strength but i sure would love to see how Westbrook would be used in chiv’s offense.

Hard to compare different eras.

Yes Salaam had a great line. That doesn't change the fact that he gained a lot of his yards running through, by, or over tacklers, that he could put a foot in the ground changing direction and explode with amazing quickness and speed for a man that big.

I love Viska, he is an amazing talent and seems to be a great individual on top of it. Let's get a little past 5 games into his breakout season before we declare him better than Salaam and the others.

Comparing athleticism and versatility, the only 2 that come to mind are Slash and maybe Hagan. Viska is a freak!

Crosby’s name is on the west side press boxes next to the likes of Darian Hagan, Alfred Williams, Rashaan Salaam, Daniel Graham, etc. He’s definitely an all-time Buff; maybe not top 10, but top 20.

My thoughts to a T.

From a strictly athletic standpoint, Kordell is the best comparison.

Greatest Buff player of all time based on accomplishments is Darian Hagan.

Totally disagree. He’s a ****ing kicker, and was likely personally responsible for 10-12 wins during his time here. Top ten Buff.

Special teams are important.

I usually abstain from some of these threads, but TOP TEN!?!?! WTF?! I think you need to go back and revisit CU's history. Sure, we're not a top 10 program overall, and our decade of suckitude made us more borderline top 25 program overall as opposed to solid top 25. Point being is that we have had a LOT of great players in our past. I loved Crosby, but he's like top 40 overall, at best. Kickers do matter, but he will likely never be brought up for College Football HOF voting. I mean, damn...if you have Crosby top ten, where do Rouen and Berger fit in your rankings?? Berger punted and kicked FGs at CU... ...you can give Crosby credit, but top 10 is way overboard imo.

Back