What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

Again, It turned out that JL inherited a pretty damned solid group of players. He didn't build any of that. He inherited it. To his credit, he molded them into a helluva unit. But, for me, he gets no, or little, credit for bringing in the talent. Now, the guy appears to be a helluva recruiter and, no doubt, he'd have brought in top talent.

So our defense should be pretty good in 2017?

regardless of who coached it we were going backwards next year. I think most of us would rationally acknowledge that. As i said elsewhere the passion, the X&O's the player development will be hard to replace with JL gone.

That said the strength of this unit was the DB's those were all Mac guys, and the DB coaches for now remain in house. JL did wonders with the front 7 but effectively recruited none of the main contributors and was not able to address holes at LB on the the recruiting trail

I would rather he was still here but Mac has hired methodically and well when he hqs needed replacement coaches even if he has done so more slowly than any of us would like. My fear is this buys a the gping hole that is our DL position group more time and that we are due to miss on a hire sooner or later.

All-in-all as I said I'd rather JL have not left but I think we are over reacting a little with the "all the recruits will leave" and we are going back to the bottom of the barrel. I respect JL for takign this step its clear he wants to be an HC again and wants to do so at a P5 school. I also think its possible for us to bring in a very good replacement one that perhaps is not the X&O's caliber of JL (which would be hard to find) but someone who recruits more effectively and has a proven track record as a lead coordinator but perhaps failed a an HC who is looking to get another shot. Say our version of Kiffin to Bama.

This move has ZERO to do with money. This was 100% about HCMM pushing him out due to differences! I personally feel CU just lost the second most important coach in the history of CU football and is left with MM!!!
Did JL, by the way, thank MM on his way out? No, he thanked CU, players, alumni and Boulder.
While not a popular comment on this site, I have never thought of MM as a great coach, rather a good leader of a program. I was excited to get JL the day he was hired and enjoyed what he brought the players, the team and the community. I now go from belief to hope, in hoping this program can excel but have serious doubts. This is a sad day in Buff History!

Well, very sad day for you then. Heartbreaking really. I guess all that you can really do is to change your name to ****aduckincali and GTFO.

Jesus Christ.
elite-daily-jesus-christ.jpg

Every single contributor was identified and recruited to CU before Jim Leavitt got here.

Including Laguda, Oliver, & Carrell who joined us the latest, in terms of contributors.

And they didn't do a whole hell of a lot before Leavitt got here - he's one hell of a coach, this is a big loss.
True, but they were freshman and sophomores.

And yes, he is a big loss. But he wasn't the guy identifying the talent and from what I know of people around the program, the assistants are the hands on guy developing the talent. HCMM is especially involved with that. When I look at how a guy like Whitherspoon went from liability his SO year to one of the best DBs in the last 15 years here, I think we got some good DB coaching (for instance).

Leavitt gets more credit for the scheme and overall management of the unit.

Last edited:
Back