What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Leavitt to Oregon

Do any of you guys work somewhere where they have an annual award thing? I always found those awkward. Maybe Mac prefers keeping the praise "private."

So, we all agree, we dodged a bullet with JL leaving before the whole Mac and JL relationship deteriorated and destroyed the program yet again. Right?
Don't forget, Edwards didn't commit until after Leavitt left so pretty sure he was our weak link in the recruiting trail too.

So, we all agree, we dodged a bullet with JL leaving before the whole Mac and JL relationship deteriorated and destroyed the program yet again. Right?
**** no. That kind of relationship keeps people on their toes. Kind of like you and Metamucil.

Mac gives out tons of credit, he just doesn't single anyone out good or bad and praises the players a ton.

That's why I specifically said "doesn't give individual credit". The big problem with that in my eyes is he giving the impression the whole staff is equal and we know there is some dead weight that doesn't produce. He should single out the best on his staff, just like any organization does. I guess we'll see how the raises are divied out to see what his real impressions are.

And if for some reason Mac left, I'd take Leavitt back as HC in a heartbeat.

Do any of you guys work somewhere where they have an annual award thing? I always found those awkward. Maybe Mac prefers keeping the praise "private."

Yes, almost all sales organizations do. My company gives out awards for specific sales products and then the overall top salesman in the company each January. I could see it as awkward if you had subjective awards but for salesmen, numbers don't lie and you deserve it if you win it.

Last edited:
Last year I was reading/posting about how MM was at the end of his leash and JL would be a fine head coach candidate. MM made a great hire in JL and another this year in Chev. Coach of the Year accolades follow. Now it's time to make another great hire. JL wasn't going to stay at CU long term as an assistant anyway. He got his golden ticket back into college coaching (thank you MM and RG) and he cashed it in.

How much does Clancy Pendergast make at USC, and can we double it?

Pull that off, and you know CU is running with the big dogs.

Seems like this is more about not mentioning anyone on the coaching staff than it is about mentioning RG. This whole departure has been very strange

Nothing strange about this at all. I believe the consensus on this board two years ago was that Mac couldn't hire good assistants or turn over his current staff so RG went out and made the Leavitt-for-Baer swap himself. ;)

Bill Parcells school. I never remember Parcells talking about Belichick when giving credit to his defense, even when they were winning Super Bowls with the Giants. But what he did do, if you look at his coaching tree, is work his ass off to develop those assistants and get them opportunities to further their careers in coaching while showing a lot of loyalty to them.

I havent looked in awhile but it used to be Bill only won the superbowls where Belichick was DC and lost the ones where he wasnt.

It should be clear now, and once and for all, who hired JL.
Rick George has to sign off on every employee hired inside the AD. Jim Leavitt, due to his altercation with a player while at USF was a special situation, and Rick George had to go to work within the University administration in order to make that hire happen. Coach Mac hires/fires his staff, just like every other job. Anyone who doesn't get that, should join Waldo over in the politics forum where he's currently debating the Birthers.

You guys try to read into things too much.
I agree, but isn't that what fans on a message board do? Also, I had to lol considering your take on the Oregon recruit video (which may or may not be something, but either way, there was definitely reading into that one).

It should be clear now, and once and for all, who hired JL.
Yeah that totally makes sense, RG just let leavitt go to a conference opponent and let the head coach who he didn't hire stay. Get your **** together.

Yeah that totally makes sense, RG just let leavitt go to a conference opponent and let the head coach who he didn't hire stay. Get your **** together.

He had no choice other than to let Leavitt go under the current circumstances

I agree, but isn't that what fans on a message board do? Also, I had to lol considering your take on the Oregon recruit video (which may or may not be something, but either way, there was definitely reading into that one).
I figure if I'm saying it then, it should have more weight. That or I'm just a hypocrite who picks and chooses which situations are worth reading into.

Count me as one of those folks who thinks RG was a little more than influential in the JL hire. ...and I've heard the story about MM and JL knowing each other for San Jose Church and all...

Love MM and think we are blessed to have him. He needs a little push with his staff though. Too nice a guy to push.

Coach Mac hires/fires his staff, just like every other job. Anyone who doesn't get that, should join Waldo over in the politics forum where he's currently debating the Birthers.
Leavitt wasn't born, he sprung forth from dragon fire on elf ****.

Back