What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Let's just be positive, supportive and ride this out for the time being!!

GuySmiley

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid
Allbuffs,

I've caught up on all the postings. Karl Dorrell was a shock hire, but for the time being, let's not wallow in negativity or what if's. Perhaps, we should consider biting our collective tongue for a while, and see what KD, the assistants, and players can do. I said that I would support the coach and program, whomever that may be. I will and that means 100%.

100% means providing a fairly long honeymoon period (8 games +) and at least 1-2 recruiting classes. Let's do this for the players on the team, the assistants who stay, the assistants that are hired, RG/LC and all who have pledged their future to improve our team. It may be easy to jump ship, but to persevere and overcome is the ultimate challenge, and will be the recipe of CU bouncing back long term. Given all that has occurred, we are all entitled to a huge chip on our shoulder, the abandoned players, recruits, and assistants; the most of all. Let's use that to our advantage.

Free speech is a right, and this is our board to voice things (so I cannot insult or argue with those who do), however we are mostly fans all on the same side. We want a successful program. We want the best for our team--that is why we keep coming back and posting. The fact is, we can "coulda', shoulda', woulda'" adnausum over the past 15+ years, however today lets start a new chapter with a good attitude, and let's keep that good attitude until things really shake out. There may be players or assistants who leave, however we can wish them well. For those who stay, we provide our unwavering support.

Let's take down our polls, which show a 5-7 hiring approval rating, as that serves no purpose but to undermine. Let's not talk (or end/conclude) discussions about other HC possibilities, as that ship has sailed for the foreseeable future. This could be grooming Chev into his future position at the helm and achieving some heights this program has not seen for many years. This could be a step-forward, not backward.

For the time being, let's just end the negativity, with a "we just did the best that we could under these extremely difficult circumstances." Let's come together and unite behind our team. There will be bumps in the road, but we must be consistent, steadfast and positive in our short/medium term support and give things a fair shake. This may be tough for many, but we have to deal with the "what is."

Although, Allbuffs is just a fan board, we must remember that does not mean that others (players, players families, recruits, recruits families, coaches and their families) do not follow it. In comparison to the media, Allbuffs seemed to have about as much information if not more, than those reporters following the team. Think about that? Allbuffs counts and if our posters can be positive: the glass is half full and the sky is not falling. For the time being, the football program needs a period of unwavering support. We are part of that. Let's attend the luncheons. Let's continue to sell out the stadium (this is something CU did, whereas many in the PAC-12 suffered down attendance).

In closing, good luck KD, I/we know that you will give it 100%. Thanks for coming here, when so many others would not. Same goes with all the players, the recent recruiting class, the assistants who stay, our new assistants-- you are OUR team and we will support you. Let's see what all of you can do, and we will be forever thankful for your 100% effort, sacrifice, and the memories you provide, as CU emerges from these recent dark days.

P.S.--for all those that feel a need to harp, make certain points or just debate, try the Allbuffs political board for a period of time. Peace out!

We are not the propaganda arm for the CU SID.

I believe in being positive, but people are allowed to have opinions and express them.

As long as I don't see personal attacks or people outright telling recruits to go somewhere else or players to transfer, it's fine.

While it may bother you and others if you feel like people are pissing on your Cheerios, there are also other people who feel like unchecked positivity is pissing on their leg while trying to convince them it's just a nice, nurturing spring shower.

This could be grooming Chev into his future position at the helm and achieving some heights this program has not seen for many years. This could be a step-forward, not backward.
Chev has yet to post anything CU related on his twitter, not a good sign IMO

Chev has yet to post anything CU related on his twitter, not a good sign IMO
I take the opposite view. Chev needs to keep his mouth shut for a while. Are we seeing all the other remaining coaches tweet out stuff?

Chev is a great Buff and a very solid recruiter. His behavior during this process cements the notion that he simply isn’t ready to be the top guy. I’m hopeful that he will learn from this and be better prepared to take that next step in his career.

I take the opposite view. Chev needs to keep his mouth shut for a while. Are we seeing all the other remaining coaches tweet out stuff?

Chev is a great Buff and a very solid recruiter. His behavior during this process cements the notion that he simply isn’t ready to be the top guy. I’m hopeful that he will learn from this and be better prepared to take that next step in his career.
good point

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. This isn't about unchecked positivity; It's about recognizing that our love of CU football matters, and can do something positive, even productive, for the team and the university. It's completely plausible that someone who could be an important current, or future, role player on this team reads these boards, completely unaware of who KD is, sees the overwhelming negativity to the hire, and decides to transfer or enroll elsewhere because Allbuffs played a role in dictating their impression of KD and the direction of the program, or type of fanbase they'll be playing in front of. I am aware that it's absurd to suggest important decisions, like where a kid might play football and go to school, might be made because of posts on a fan board, but we're spewing a ton of negativity about our new coach and not much of it is well-founded. It's coming off in overwhelming, influential quantities. It's foolish to pretend that nothing we say here matters, that our attitudes are completely inconsequential. Our program is sick right now, and we're currently doing whatever we can to make it even worse.

Is the hire boring? By most accounts, yeah. Does Mel Tucker leaving the way he did hurt like hell? Absolutely. Do his actions shed unwelcome, unfavorable light on the Pac-12, on CU's place in the college football world? Sure. There is undoubtedly a lot of negativity in the air. It sucks. We suddenly can't feel as good about the future of CU football as we did 3-4 weeks ago, and for a program that's struggled so much throughout the past 20 years, it's particularly damning. But why amplify this ****ty feeling? It does absolutely nothing to make anything better. The negativity around this hire, especially on Facebook, but here too, has such a disgusting feel of mob mentality. We've all been hurt by Mel, and the CU AD was placed in a nearly impossible situation. Except maybe Sarkisian, I think any hire was going to be met with negativity. The rampant bashing on KD is more about a fanbase trying to find something righteous in their anger and hurt than anything to do with coach Dorrell. We're screaming "We deserve better! We're victims! We're never going to resurrect the program like we feel destined!" when we don't even know what we have just yet. Tons of CU fans had no idea who KD was before this weekend, despite his ties to the program. What does it do to a fanbase when the first thing an individual sees on Facebook, or on the boards, is a hoard of people screaming unmitigated doom and negativity, in reaction to a guy they know next to nothing about?? It makes them hate the coach in an uncritical way. Yes, I'm saying that the "critical" reaction to KD has been, by and large, profoundly uncritical. There are a lot of smart people on this board who have pointed out issues and lamented them to death, but most fans are not like this. I worry we're going to walk into the season with whimpering fan support, after having really great fan support last year. This is only going to make it harder on KD and everyone else involved with the team. My first reaction to KD was somewhere along the lines of "****, really?" All I could think about was a game where his team got absolutely drubbed by USC, the way we got beaten by Texas that same year. I had completely forgotten he had been a successful coach here in the 90s, and knew nothing about his resume after the UCLA stint. But I collected my feelings. I thought it through. I understand the logic behind the hire. I'm ready to give my best support.

Sometimes, negativity is an important thing for a fanbase to express. When Hawkins was going off the rails, when MacIntyre blew the OSU game-- yep, it was damn appropriate to be negative. I wore a powder blue shirt to the aTm game in 2009, and I'd do it again. But negativity is not appropriate right now. Spring ball is right around the corner. One of the most important things KD has to do now is hold the team together and instill confidence. We can help with that by being supportive fans! The social media ecosystem that we now live in makes that truer than ever! Everyone's acting like KD has some ceiling of winning 7 games max, and it's impossible for him to win any more than that- like that is a limitation ingrained into him as a feature. That's complete bull****. People are basing that mindset primarily on his UCLA tenure from over a decade ago and copying and pasting it into the present day in Boulder, paying no respect to the clear and obvious fact that it's a completely different situation. We need to stop acting like we can predict everything perfectly. Football is great because you can't predict it perfectly. No matter how many times the game is played, there's always something unique, some wrinkle that makes each game memorable. Every game has the ability of creating tension a bit differently than the one before it. Every season offers a unique variation on the narrative arc we love. It's a beautiful thing, which is why those of us who are diehards can keep coming back, even when it sucks. The reason we lament the direction of college football today is because it's becoming too predictable. The number of teams that seem like viable contenders seems to shrink as time goes on. We're finding ourselves among the growing numbers of have-nots. Yep, it's true. But by sinking our teeth into it, by doubling down on our loss of Tucker by automatically hating the new coach, we are reinforcing what we all hate. We're asking for it. We're begging for CU football to suck.

It's time to stop. We need to have a presence in Fort Collins at the start of the season, and we must keep spirits high amid the criticisms and embarrassments of this off season. We've got to give KD a chance, and trust him to take his best shot. If he can turn it around, if he can catch lightning in a bottle - even MacIntyre caught lightning in a bottle - we have so much reason to love college football again. This story is about redemption and second chances now. We should play a positive role in it. If KD starts out 0-8 and everything feels like an unmitigated disaster? Yep. Be negative, be critical, jump ship. I probably would too, at least for a while. I did during from 2012-2014 or so. But stop willing this team to failure. It's garbage. There's nothing to gain from it at all.

KD winning here would be an incredible story. It would remind us all why we love college football. Even an ~8 win season in the near future would make us into one of college football's best redemption stories. Let's will it to happen, as wholeheartedly as we can.

Last edited:
We are not the propaganda arm for the CU SID.

I believe in being positive, but people are allowed to have opinions and express them.

As long as I don't see personal attacks or people outright telling recruits to go somewhere else or players to transfer, it's fine.

While it may bother you and others if you feel like people are pissing on your Cheerios, there are also other people who feel like unchecked positivity is pissing on their leg while trying to convince them it's just a nice, nurturing spring shower.

Agree, AB not propaganda arm from CU SID. AB's does a good job of not censoring things, and I appreciate that. I don't feel like others are pissing on my Cheerios, MT pissed on all our cheerios for some time to come. I'm just like give KD a chance, let's pick up the pieces and move on. Any coach that took the job deserves a honeymoon just for jumping into the fray, and the players and assistants that stay deserve our support. Who knows what stability and 100 players/recruits with a huge chip on their shoulder can accomplish.

ron-swanson-gif.gif

Back