What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches)/ #17 (NET rankings) Men's bball on the road vs. #124 (NET) UCLA (L.A., Thurs., 1/30, 9:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

We'll win 21ish games and sneak into the dance as a low seed, which is enough to satisfy everyone here because CU was bad at basketball for four decades and we all need to accept mediocrity.
That's 100 right there. Expectations are high this year and I'm treating it as such. It's not okay to lose to this piss poor UCLA squad. This is an experienced team that needs to figure this out.

Road games are hard. I’m just disappointed they came out tentative and played with lack of energy and focus in first half, which doomed them (yes lots of issues already described). Teams that pressure the ball and passes give us trouble be cause we only have one ball handler. I’d almost rather see a straight zone defense.

We couldn’t hit anything and UCLA was just chucking up garbage all night. Hate watching those type of games.

Reading reactions after a loss is, what’s the word I’m looking for, interesting?

Yes

Can you read the stats?

We shot better than them.

We fouled like crazy.

We never even attempted to adjust to Smith.
Yes I can read stats. UCLA was throwing up some garbage and still making them with some lucky ass bounces. Then our two best three point shooters were 2-8 from deep despite having great open looks. Yes the fouls hurt too along with the offensive rebounds.

I really like Tad and appreciate what he has done for CU. The problem I've had over the years, is that Tad is just a really nice guy and most all the players he signs are 'really nice guys'. How many street fighter, tough guys has he had over the years? The players who took the floor last night, seemed to have zero drive or desire to be the best, to kick some ass. Nice guys don't always finish last, but often come in 3rd or 4th or 5th.

UCLA deserved to win that game. They dominated the glass and the other hustle stats like steals and blocked shots. They wanted it more and it fed into them getting a few extra calls, too (refs reward the aggressor). They were also dialed in and refused to crack. Responded to every single CU run with a run of their own to push the lead back to double digits.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why Bey wasn't matched up on Chris Smith all night.

Very frustrating performance.

CU are the biggest paper tiger in college basketball. No tourney games in Boulder and no chance to advance. Some hypotheticals:

CBS: CU (6) vs Memphis (11) in the Loo. Colorado would lose that game by 20 points. Penny is so bored he tries to pay 5 people in the stands to coach halfway through.

ESPN: Colorado (6) vs Rhode Island (11) @ Cleveland. (Rhody beat Memphis in this scenario ) Former William & Mary gunner David Cox and his crew would come out after that big win and CU would start 0-8 and lose in the most boring game ever. Oh sorry the second worst after that loss to Pitt 77-49.

Fantasy gurus: Colorado (4) VS New Mexico State (11) @ Sac. NMSU comes out sharp shooting and everyone and their mother brags they had the game picked correctly.

Testudo: Colorado (5) vs Tulsa (12) @ Sac. Tulsa, coming off a recent road win at UCONN and a beat down at home of Memphis by 40 points, rolls in with Jeriah Horne and Martins Igbanu and beats CU by 50. 88-38. OK, there's still next year.

Bracket Busts AKA the (highly accurate) Dolly Parton blog: Colorado (5) vs Liberty (12) @ Greensboro. Just think of the excuses as lighting quick Guards Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz and Caleb Holmesley shred the Buffs. "WAH. The game started too early." Liberty are 20-3 at this point mind you with a bad loss to the Stetson Mad Hatters but a win over LSU etc.

Bleacher Report: (5) Colorado vs (12) Akron @ Sac. Non Italian Zips hung in there with WVU and Louisville and have a monster (and I mean a monster) in Loren Jackson who would be by far the best player on the court.The excuses? Game started too late? Sacramento is a dump? Help me out here.

Bracketville: Colorado (7) vs Memphis (10) @ Albany. This will not exactly be a hot ticket in the 518.

SB Nation: Colorado (6) vs Oklahoma (11) @ The Loo. Hanging in there with Wichita State and Baylor, getting pounded like my high school classmate Joanna Angel (nee Mostov) by Kansas and Iowa State. I mean would you really be confident in this? Doolittle does a lot and the excuses are legendary on Allbuffs.

Andy Katz: Colorado (6) VS Memphis (11). Penny is like "How many times do we have to play these mother-fu-****s?" But seriously Boogie Ellis goes buck and they win.

Mel Kiper: Getting squeezed out by Todd McShay has Mad Mel doing brackets. Colorado (8) go to Spokane where they mauled by Texas Tech (9).

CU are the biggest paper tiger in college basketball. No tourney games in Boulder and no chance to advance. Some hypotheticals:

CBS: CU (6) vs Memphis (11) in the Loo. Colorado would lose that game by 20 points. Penny is so bored he tries to pay 5 people in the stands to coach halfway through.

ESPN: Colorado (6) vs Rhode Island (11) @ Cleveland. (Rhody beat Memphis in this scenario ) Former William & Mary gunner David Cox and his crew would come out after that big win and CU would start 0-8 and lose in the most boring game ever. Oh sorry the second worst after that loss to Pitt 77-49.

Fantasy gurus: Colorado (4) VS New Mexico State (11) @ Sac. NMSU comes out sharp shooting and everyone and their mother brags they had the game picked correctly.

Testudo: Colorado (5) vs Tulsa (12) @ Sac. Tulsa, coming off a recent road win at UCONN and a beat down at home of Memphis by 40 points, rolls in with Jeriah Horne and Martins Igbanu and beats CU by 50. 88-38. OK, there's still next year.

Bracket Busts AKA the (highly accurate) Dolly Parton blog: Colorado (5) vs Liberty (12) @ Greensboro. Just think of the excuses as lighting quick Guards Georgie Pacheco-Ortiz and Caleb Holmesley shred the Buffs. "WAH. The game started too early." Liberty are 20-3 at this point mind you with a bad loss to the Stetson Mad Hatters but a win over LSU etc.

Bleacher Report: (5) Colorado vs (12) Akron @ Sac. Non Italian Zips hung in there with WVU and Louisville and have a monster (and I mean a monster) in Loren Jackson who would be by far the best player on the court.The excuses? Game started too late? Sacramento is a dump? Help me out here.

Bracketville: Colorado (7) vs Memphis (10) @ Albany. This will not exactly be a hot ticket in the 518.

SB Nation: Colorado (6) vs Oklahoma (11) @ The Loo. Hanging in there with Wichita State and Baylor, getting pounded like my high school classmate Joanna Angel (nee Mostov) by Kansas and Iowa State. I mean would you really be confident in this? Doolittle does a lot and the excuses are legendary on Allbuffs.

Andy Katz: Colorado (6) VS Memphis (11). Penny is like "How many times do we have to play these mother-fu-****s?" But seriously Boogie Ellis goes buck and they win.

Mel Kiper: Getting squeezed out by Todd McShay has Mad Mel doing brackets. Colorado (8) go to Spokane where they mauled by Texas Tech (9).
This could be the dumbest post in a thread of dumb posts. Dude, did you have like 1/2 hour to kill and decided to waste it on this "hOt tAeK"?

Have to be better on the glass. 12 turnovers, I think, and make your free throws. We didn't shoot them terrible, 70 something percent. Thing is, they hit theirs at a pretty high clip, about 85 or 86 percent. In a game you lose by 4, free throws, rebounds, and taking care of the rock are a must. A lot of the stats, CU was better in, the crucial ones, they weren't. It happens. Put it away and get ready for the jimmy hats.

After nine years, this is Tad ball. Sometimes his teams look like world beaters, sometimes they crap their nest. As long he is coach, we are going to vary from a round of 32 team at the big dance, to a CBI semifinalist. It is what it is and for many it is an acceptable level of performance. The Buffs are a respectable team.

I like Tad, I think he earns his salary and I think he has as much integrity as any coach in the game. But if you think he is going to turn the Buffs into anything that resembles a legitimate threat to contend for an NCAAA title, that I do not see.

I think it is going to get harder for anyone but the perennial powers to contend for a championship to begin with, because of the money and politics that currently exist in the college game. Maybe it is not a bad thing to aspire to be a respectable team. I would still like to see the Buffs as contenders some day.

After nine years, this is Tad ball. Sometimes his teams look like world beaters, sometimes they crap their nest. As long he is coach, we are going to vary from a round of 32 team at the big dance, to a CBI semifinalist. It is what it is and for many it is an acceptable level of performance. The Buffs are a respectable team.

I like Tad, I think he earns his salary and I think he has as much integrity as any coach in the game. But if you think he is going to turn the Buffs into anything that resembles a legitimate threat to contend for an NCAAA title, that I do not see.

I think it is going to get harder for anyone but the perennial powers to contend for a championship to begin with, because of the money and politics that currently exist in the college game. Maybe it is not a bad thing to aspire to be a respectable team. I would still like to see the Buffs as contenders some day.
Are you saying National title contenders? If that's the case, it's not going to happen with Tad or anyone else. It's just not. And that's okay because neither are Oregon, or Arizona, or USC or 335 other teams.

We lost to UCLA-so FIRE TAD BABY!

UCLA got every hustle play and had I think an extra 12 shots. The buffs got out worked. Simple as that. Smith was hitting some absolutely stupid shots that won't happen again. You add those two together and makes it difficult to win games. If the same effort is displayed on Saturday, then Tad could have an issue on had, however, you usually don't see that with Tad teams.

I don't read Seattle's drivel, but it is damn near amazing how predictable he is to never be seen except after losses.

This is also how College Basketball kind of works. A lot of good teams lose weird games, especially on the road.
I think the part that is unique to Tad is that he has us being consistently good. Our fans have very little experience with what that is like.

Are you saying National title contenders? If that's the case, it's not going to happen with Tad or anyone else. It's just not. And that's okay because neither are Oregon, or Arizona, or USC or 335 other teams.
I don't really disagree with you about CU, the rest of the schools, I don't give two ****s about. Could Tad get CU to a national title shot in basketball? Highly unlikely, but I never thought I'd see a team like Butler in there either. Of course, it's a dream scenario, not impossible.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Basically Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc..... own the national title from here on out. Once in a while a surprise winner or finalist just to hold public interest. Politics and money.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Basically Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, etc..... own the national title from here on out. Once in a while a surprise winner or finalist just to hold public interest. Politics and money.

Shrug, no disrespect meant, but I couldn’t disagree more. Villanova just won 2 out of 3 titles. Last year, the final four had Virginia, Texas Tech, and Auburn. Right now, Baylor is ranked first and SDSU, FSU, Dayton, Villanova, and Seton Hall are in the top 10. Kentucky is ranked 13th, UNC is unranked, and Duke lost to SFA at home.

The blue bloods are probably the weakest they‘ve ever been because of one and dones. Whether a PAC 12 team other than Nike U can mount a realistic shot at a championship remains to be seen, but if ever there was a time, it would be now.

Shrug, no disrespect meant, but I couldn’t disagree more. Villanova just won 2 out of 3 titles. Last year, the final four had Virginia, Texas Tech, and Auburn. Right now, Baylor is ranked first and SDSU, FSU, Dayton, Villanova, and Seton Hall are in the top 10. Kentucky is ranked 13th, UNC is unranked, and Duke lost to SFA at home.

The blue bloods are probably the weakest they‘ve ever been because of one and dones. Whether a PAC 12 team other than Nike U can mount a realistic shot at a championship remains to be seen, but if ever there was a time, it would be now.

Your draw in the dance is sooooo big. This is a group that if you give them the right draw can get to Atlanta. If the worst loss this group has is last night, that's still a pretty good resume

I don't read Seattle's drivel, but it is damn near amazing how predictable he is to never be seen except after losses.
Just another dbag making **** up as you go along ... do you do that in your miserable life also? I was on the board the whole game, not after (a rare game I could watch live) and even rooting as they came back. And have said MANY positive things about this team this year (look back if you want, or just have an uninformed opinion ... that seems to be the norm today.)

MANY other people on here have gone way beyond me ... I never said the season is over, fire Tad, we'll miss the top 4 in the league, etc

Do you really believe this ****? Yeah, Tad definitely came into this game saying “We are gonna kill these guys. We just have to show up. No reason to go over the scouting report. ”
There were absolutely some defensive lapses against Smith, but do you think it’s possible that also he made some really tough shots and he played damn good? No, Tad definitely said let that guy do whatever he wants.
This is the type of ridiculous overreaction bull**** that is unbearable.
Tad said they were having bad practices. Isn't that his job to correct?

What defensive adjustments did you see against smith? I saw, none. Ty never on him. Lucas never on him. No double teams. Just keep doing the same thing, over and over, the outcome will somehow magically change. I think Einstein had a theory on that one.

Tad said they were having bad practices. Isn't that his job to correct?

What defensive adjustments did you see against smith? I saw, none. Ty never on him. Lucas never on him. No double teams. Just keep doing the same thing, over and over, the outcome will somehow magically change. I think Einstein had a theory on that one.

Are you still on this? Man you are insufferable. I don't even know what to say to the first question. I'm guessing you've never done any coaching or had any leadership role. Sometimes your team has ****ty practices. It's beyond frustrating. But you're so smart, why don't you tell me how exactly you fix having a ****ty practice. Because I've tried a whole bunch of things. And it's hard. Different kids react to different things. Some kids respond right away after you make them run lines. Others check out. It's a difficult balance.

As for your 2nd point, Lucas was on Smith pretty much every time Lucas was in the game. Lucas didn't play well yesterday. So I don't know what game you were watching. I actually agree with you that Ty should have been on him more. Where should you bring the double from Einstein? Because it wasn't like they were running Smith off in the pick and roll. Sometimes you just gotta man the **** up and say this guy isn't going to get by me as a defender. We were not successful at that yesterday. Are the players responsible for any mistakes in your mind? Lastly, Smith deserves a lot of credit. He made some difficult shots. 30 points worth of difficult shots? Of course not. There were lapses. But you know, the other team has scholarship players too. ****.

Back