What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #24 (AP & Coaches')/ #17 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #148 (NET) Cal (Boulder, Thurs., 2/6, 6:00 PM, Pac 12 Networks)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
CU (17-5, 6-3) has a early (for a weekday) tip-off on tap as they host the golden bears (10-11, 4-4) this Thursday starting at 6:00 PM MT at the Events Center. With Cal having a somewhat similar NET ranking (#148) to UCLA (#124 at the time), whom the Buffs lost to last week, I'd hope/ assume Tad and Company will be VERY hungry/ intense for the win this Thursday evening.

GO BUFFS- Beat the bears!!!

Their roster for Lookalike suggestions - https://calbears.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

(No game preview as I type this. Will add as it/ they become available.)
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:
Game Notes
- Not available as I post this.

Live video - Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain, Bay Area and National channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any of those Pac 12 channels, assume the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/mens-basketball/event/2020/02/06/california-colorado .

Live Audio - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2404&type=Live or https://tunein.com/radio/Colorado-Basketball-s308227/?_branch_match_id=753429984626205887 . Game is also broadcast on the radio, typically on 850 AM and 94.1 FM.

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Last edited:
Preview now available for tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/2/5/mens-basketball-buffs-open-homestand-against-surging-bears.aspx

One personnel item of note, the notes section (also quoted below) includes "Boyle said shooting guard Maddox Daniels, who missed last Saturday's game at USC with a concussion, practiced Wednesday and would be available for Thursday's game …"

"
BOULDER — Way back in early October, the Pac-12 media picked the Cal Bears to finish dead last in the conference men's basketball race.

So much for preseason prognostications. When Tad Boyle's No. 24 Colorado Buffaloes (17-5 overall, 6-3 Pac-12) play host to the Bears (10-11, 4-4) on Thursday, they will see a team that is just one game away in the loss column from the league leaders.

The Buffs and Bears will tip it off at 6 p.m. at the CU Events Center (Pac-12 Network).

"Coach (Mark) Fox has them ready, has them competing," Boyle said after Wednesday's practice. "They play hard. They believe that they can win and that's half the battle."

Indeed, the Bears have been competitive — at least on their home court. While they are winless away from their home floor this year, they still own wins over Stanford, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State, and they have won two of their last three. It's been enough to already surpass last year's win totals, both overall and in league play.

"They're trying to figure out how to keep it close to give themselves a chance at the end," Boyle said. "They've been in a lot of close games and won some close games."

Indeed, the Bears have won with defense, especially in Pac-12 play. While they are last in the league in scoring in conference games (59.38 points per game), they are sixth in scoring defense (65.5 ppg).

The Bears are led by 6-foot-4 guard Matt Bradley, who is averaging 18.5 points and 5.75 rebounds per game in conference play. They also boast some size on the block, beginning with 7-0 freshman center Lars Thiemann.

But they aren't particularly deep, and Boyle expressed a desire to push the pace and test Cal at altitude.

"Depth is a strength of our team," Boyle said. "We're playing at home, we're playing at altitude. We want to speed the game up and make it a 94-foot game. That doesn't mean we're going to press for 40 minutes, it just means that we get stops and we have to run. We have to put a little pressure on them. We can't let them just use 28 seconds of every shot clock."

BUFFS BITS: Boyle said shooting guard Maddox Daniels, who missed last Saturday's game at USC with a concussion, practiced Wednesday and would be available for Thursday's game … The Buffs were No. 18 in the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings on Wednesday and No. 17 in the Kenpom ratings … CU's Tyler Bey will almost certainly move into the top 10 on CU's career rebound list this week. Bey is currently tied for 11th with 707, just two behind No. 10 Larry Vaculik and four behind No. 9 Burdette Haldorson. He's also well within range of No. 8 Vince Kelley (730), but after that, the jump to seventh is a big one. CU Hall of Famer Jim "Spider" Davis occupies that spot with 863 … Senior Lucas Siewert is currently 14th on CU's list of all-time games played with 120, and will almost certainly move into the top 10. Currently tied for 10th are Levi Knutson, Stephane Pelle and Will Smith with 123.

TIPOFF: Wednesday's game is set to begin at 6 p.m. at the CU Events Center.

THE SERIES: CU holds a 17-15 all-time edge in the series, including four wins in a row and five of the last six. The Buffs beat the Bears twice last season, once in Berkeley and once in the Pac-12 tournament. CU is 11-2 against Cal in Boulder, including three in row.

BROADCAST: The game will be televised by the Pac-12 Networks with Ted Robinson and Eddie House on the call. The radio broadcast will be carried by 850 AM and 94.1 FM KOA, with Voice of the Buffs Mark Johnson and Scott Wilke.

UP NEXT: The Buffs wrap up their homestand with a 4 p.m. game Saturday against Stanford, then hit the road for a pair next week, beginning with a Feb. 13 (Thursday) game at Oregon, followed by a Feb. 15 (Saturday) game at Oregon State.
"

Cal coach Mark Fox is a very good coach. I wanted Bohn to hire him instead of Tad.........BACK IN THE DAY of course.

Joel_Brown_Cal_MBB_20190905_122822_KCox.jpg

giphy.gif

That smirk is cracking me up

Cal coach Mark Fox is a very good coach. I wanted Bohn to hire him instead of Tad.........BACK IN THE DAY of course.
Tad seems to respect the work being done in Berkeley to rebuild that program. I also think they're doing the right things and think their fans should be excited (and patient) since the trajectory is what you'd want to see.

This is not a game to take lightly tonight. Bradley's a difference maker who can take over for stretches and there is good length & athleticism around him. Dangerous team.

Tad seems to respect the work being done in Berkeley to rebuild that program. I also think they're doing the right things and think their fans should be excited (and patient) since the trajectory is what you'd want to see.

This is not a game to take lightly tonight. Bradley's a difference maker who can take over for stretches and there is good length & athleticism around him. Dangerous team.

Couldn't agree with your second sentence more. This Cal team's a lot better than they've been in years past.

I was going to lock up Colorado at -16.5 but you guys talked me out of it. Can't say I have watched a lot of Cal. Assumed they sucked.

I was going to lock up Colorado at -16.5 but you guys talked me out of it. Can't say I have watched a lot of Cal. Assumed they sucked.
They have sucked on the road. Hard to pull road wins when your talent is even or less, your depth is suspect and you've got an inexperienced team. I could definitely see this game get out of hand at altitude. That said, I wouldn't risk my money at 16.5 in this one.

Buffs 74 - Bears 63.

There's a lull somewhere in this game that makes it more competitive than it should be, but Buffs take care of business down the stretch.

Stealing someone else's data: they say Schwartz is hitting 23% of his 3s in-conference. Hit 48% out.
other figures not as bad.
This team has had real ups and downs the last couple of weeks. Hopefully they've gained the confidence that they can beat anyone, and from here on out, do that.

go Buffs

Last edited:
Stealing someone else's data: they say Schwartz is hitting 23% of his 3s in-conference. Hit 48% out.
other figures not as bad.
This team has had real ups and downs the last couple of weeks. Hopefully they've gained the confidence that they can beat anyone, and from here on out, do that.

go Buffs
Schwartz had a crazy stretch of games when he made 18/33 (ish? iirc) over a bunch of games and then missed over a dozen in a row right after that. Kind of a reversion to mean and he's been right shooting better lately. Not hot, but not in a total slump like he had been.

Cal has a good chance of winning this game. Not predicting it but should Kuany get hot from three and Bradley plays his normal game, it Could be close.

Cal has a good chance of winning this game. Not predicting it but should Kuany get hot from three and Bradley plays his normal game, it Could be close.
No offense Bear brother, but no we do not have a good chance of winning. It would be a shocker. That said, I’ll hope for a minor miracle.

The crowd looks horrible. Why are there no students there? We're ranked in the top 25. It seems like there should be more interest.

I would be in favor of us choosing to play defense at some point tonight.

The crowd looks horrible. Why are there no students there? We're ranked in the top 25 it seems like there should be more interest.
Someone ****ed up traffic control. I’ve been sitting at Colorado and 28th for 15 minutes.

Back