What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - RV (AP poll)/ #22 (NET rankings) Men's bball hosts #81 (NET) OSU (Boulder, Sunday, 1/05, 4:00 PM MT, ESPNU)

I’m saying that Oregon shoots 40% from 3 as a team. They shot 17% against us. Yes, we played good defense (and of course other factors) but if you watch the game, especially first half, they clanked several basically uncontested 3s. If they just shoot 30% from 3, they win.
Colorado as a 37% team shot 20% against Kansas. Memphis lost to Ducks with 17% from 3 as a 35% team. It doesn't mean Colorado or Memphis lost because of the bad luck.

And hey, we clanked several uncontested 3s too.

That loss is solely on Tad. Got completely out-coached. Couldn’t adjust to the 1-3-1 and saw some more Tad turnover ball. What a joke.
Tad's fault MW had 2 clutch TOs in the last 5 minutes or so? Tad who lost his poise and couldn't shoot the ball? I agree he didn't respond in great fashion, but these kids are taught the basics and have known how to play for years. the players choked much more than Tad did

Tad needs to get past his stubborn streak and be willing to fix some issues on offense with his teams.

They don't handle zones well, they don't adjust when their outside shooting isn't working,

Tad's fault MW had 2 clutch TOs in the last 5 minutes or so? Tad who lost his poise and couldn't shoot the ball? I agree he didn't respond in great fashion, but these kids are taught the basics and have known how to play for years. the players choked much more than Tad did
Funny, Tad in the post game interview admitted he didn't have the team ready for the 1 3 1

Pretty frustrating watching the recording...and sorry, I'm not going to read through the previous pages. BUT, I really do think this was a trap game. We had a big game a few days ago and an emotional letdown was sort of expected. We had this damn game though........but again, whatever. Going into this season, I thought OSU was going to be solid, but unsure how good they were going to be. Tinkle can play; we all know that. We didn't lose to a terrible team; we just let a game slip through our fingers.

We still look fine, although this game was disappointing and frustrating. Go Buffs - Utah is better than we thought, so hope we're ready to go. I really hope someone aside from Kin steps up controlling the ball - sort of embarrassing.

Just finally watched the game after a long day, wish I hadn’t cause I am pissed!
So many good things first half and so many bad the last 8 minutes. OSU is ok, but was getting dominated until total brain fart!!!

Tad sucks so bad at Timeout usage!
If you were not prepared for the 1-3-1 and your guys do not get it, take 1 or 2 or heck 3 timeouts and clearly describe what needs to be done! Throw it into Battey and go to work or throw lobs to Bey for dunks.

****, ****, goddamn we let that win get away against a gonad team!!!

Funny, Tad in the post game interview admitted he didn't have the team ready for the 1 3 1
“We just didn’t execute,” Wright said. “We practiced against all their defenses and we knew that (zone) was going to come at some point. We just didn’t execute down the stretch. Coach (Mike) Rohn was telling us the whole half when we had a 10-point lead it would come at some point. We just didn’t execute. Failed to execute down the stretch.” Good coaches take the blame and don't dump on the players.

“We just didn’t execute,” Wright said. “We practiced against all their defenses and we knew that (zone) was going to come at some point. We just didn’t execute down the stretch. Coach (Mike) Rohn was telling us the whole half when we had a 10-point lead it would come at some point. We just didn’t execute. Failed to execute down the stretch.” Good coaches take the blame and don't dump on the players.
Just didn't execute, I think is an understatement. We looked lost against the 1-3-1. The Coaches needed a better plan for that zone, As for the players, a veteran group, have to step it up. The turnovers along with the lack of defense in the last 5 minutes of the game was disappointing. I'd pin this loss on everyone, and I do see it as another learning experience. On another note, I would have liked to see more of Walton this game, he seemed to be giving their Bigs some trouble on the defensive end.

Difficult for a special team to have a special season with losses like this.
There’s always been a plague of inconsistency with Tad’s teams. Mid-game lapses that effectively lead to a loss where a win was within grasp. Actually this plagues most teams (note Oregon’s 3-pt shooting on Jan 2). Teams that take charge of the season and their destiny by playing consistently high level are the ones left in the sweet 16-elite 8- final 4.

Last edited:
Just finally watched the game after a long day, wish I hadn’t cause I am pissed!
So many good things first half and so many bad the last 8 minutes. OSU is ok, but was getting dominated until total brain fart!!!

Tad sucks so bad at Timeout usage!
If you were not prepared for the 1-3-1 and your guys do not get it, take 1 or 2 or heck 3 timeouts and clearly describe what needs to be done! Throw it into Battey and go to work or throw lobs to Bey for dunks.

****, ****, goddamn we let that win get away against a gonad team!!!
“gonad team”.... f ucking brilliant

There’s always been a plague of inconsistency with Tad’s teams. Mid-game lapses that effectively lead to a loss where a win was within grasp. Actually this plagues most teams (note Oregon’s 3-pt shooting on Jan 2). Teams that take charge of the season and their destiny by playing consistently high level are the ones left in the sweet 16-elite 8- final 4.

Seeding is critical in the NCAA tourney. Getting a home game or two is critical to reach the Sweet 16 or beyond. Buffs demonstrated this perfectly in last year’s NIT - Alabama’s lack of interest let us have an extra win at home v Norfolk. Needless to say, winning winnable games with consistent high level play is essential to get the seeding to avoid another one-and-done NCAA experience. Predictions are meaningless (“this looks like a sweet 16 team”) without the consistent play and seeding to support them.
Home game or 2?

Were not gunning for the NIT - MCAA are all "neutral" site games

Edit - NIT not MIT

Last edited:
Putting the blame on Kin for those late TOs is completely wrong. He was the ONLY guy doing the right thing, attacking the zone. The problem is, he's short and OSU has some serious length. So when he picked up his dribble, he was toast. The problem is Gatling/Kountz/Schwartz/whothe****ever not COMING TO THE BALL! The tentative turtling "I can't dribble so I shouldn't be handling the ball" bull**** that we've seen with these guys.

The book on CU is so obvious and will be for the rest of the year ... throw zone at them, get back in transition and if you can make 30% from 3, you win.

This is the way basketball is and this **** happens. But, dammit, we were up 11 with 7 minutes left. Kin had 4 turnovers down the stretch. He choked. No other way to say it. Still love him though.
It's almost like great QBs they throw as many interceptions as touchdowns? Comes with the skill? McKinley tries to do too much IMO, rather then filling in the gaps. He's always the go-to player to bring the ball up naturally because he's a good FT shooter and can handle the ball, but maybe they expect him to do too much? CU hasn't been able to handle the double-team for . . as long as I can remember. Not enough players getting open to relieve the double team. No one except Scharts and. . ? no enough to dribble out of a double team or get the ball moving quicker on a full press.
I couldn't believe they couldn't handle the press at the end, and that's what turned the game. I hate blaming officiating, but it was more than inconsistent, the short ref was really bad. They were trying to "let them play" but they let OSU get away with too much on defense. If "inconsistent" it favored OSU. Just compounded the issue, letting OSU's comeback response be more effective, as CU was about to hit the double bonus on fouls. Sad ending to what was a good game and performance for a while.

Last edited:
Putting the blame on Kin for those late TOs is completely wrong. He was the ONLY guy doing the right thing, attacking the zone. The problem is, he's short and OSU has some serious length. So when he picked up his dribble, he was toast. The problem is Gatling/Kountz/Schwartz/whothe****ever not COMING TO THE BALL! The tentative turtling "I can't dribble so I shouldn't be handling the ball" bull**** that we've seen with these guys.

The book on CU is so obvious and will be for the rest of the year ... throw zone at them, get back in transition and if you can make 30% from 3, you win.
Agree. Too much dependence on McKinley, need more "team" effort in getting the ball upcourt. EVERYONE should be at mid court for outlet, rather than putting a single player under the basket for. . .what? You're leading, the CLOCK is your objective, that and keeping possession of the ball (= clock). Boyle said he "owned" the loss, and I'm starting to agree. We see this breakdown too much. We refer to it as "turn overs" (not taking care of the ball( but it's more than that. It's not dealing with extreme situations like this when a capable team is mounting a comeback. Need to work more reacting to press and the double team. Nothing bugs me more. . closing seconds, teams needing to foul to stop clock, in-ball goes to high % FT CU player, and they they cover and wait/take the foul. MOVE THE F___ING BALL! It's called clock management!

Did you listen to the KOA interview with Tad after the game? He blamed himself. But the players deserve a **** load of criticism.

Did you listen to the KOA interview with Tad after the game? He blamed himself. But the players deserve a **** load of criticism.
The only thing I think Tad did wrong, was not calling a time out when the zone started, to stress what they'd gone over in practice. So, I'll blame him 20%. MW is great, but I think on that last TO, he just wanted to take on too much responsibility. instead of driving into the trap, he needed to pass off a second or two earlier. Of course, I haven't seen a replay and don't know if that was feasible.

That caught my attention too, . . and it's not the first time he tried to deflect blame. I mean it was a simple half court trap, he never trained them for this???! Again, I think they count too much on Wright being able to bring the ball up court by himself, because he has great ability on this. But it's about getting open when Wright is double teamed for the outlet pass and more team effort. This break down was inexcusable, and like others have said, other teams are going to learn from OSU's effort and apply likewise.

Based on the various comments, the coaches game planned for seeing the press and the 1-3-1. They worked to prepare the team for those looks and kept them aware throughout the game that it was coming. Tad even called a timeout after OSU started that, but we turned the ball over on the possession immediately out of that TO.

Lots of blame to go around. It's a bottom line world. Players failed to execute. Coaches failed to prepare the team - more so because they thought they had done so but clearly had not gotten through to them.

Based on the various comments, the coaches game planned for seeing the press and the 1-3-1. They worked to prepare the team for those looks and kept them aware throughout the game that it was coming. Tad even called a timeout after OSU started that, but we turned the ball over on the possession immediately out of that TO.

Lots of blame to go around. It's a bottom line world. Players failed to execute. Coaches failed to prepare the team - more so because they thought they had done so but clearly had not gotten through to them.
Tad said they ran the 1-3-1 in practice but he said they didn’t run it as aggressively as OSU did. Oops!

Back